• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner with friends

Florida Jim

With pistachio nuts:

2000 Julian Meyer, Pinot Gris:

more golden than expected with a bright spice and white fruit nose and some mineral tones/

medium body but more viscous than expected, again the spiced fruit notes along side of mineral/stone flavors and a little light honey, concentrated, balanced/

medium length, clean finish.

More extraction than expected but nothing out of place. Nice complexity and integration.

With a grilled, open faced sandwich of olive bread, mozzarella, tomato, pesto, EVOO and fresh basil:

1999 Chevillon, Roncieres:

very Nuits on the nose with black pit-fruit, earth and stone/

full body but no impression of weight, very integrated flavors follow the nose, smooth and supple – seamless, concentrated and well balanced/

long, deep finish.

A bottle of this about 5 months ago showed like a barrel sample; this one was very nice and pretty approachable. I still think I will keep my bottles (this was someone else’s) in the cellar. It was a beautiful wine and went so well with the food as to be one of those notable matches we will remember.

With grilled (rare) NY strip steaks, sautéed chanterelles and a potato, mushroom and spinach casserole:

1998 Catina del Pino, Barbaresco Ovello:

heavenly nose of light perfume, black fruit, currant jelly, leather and very gentle, spicy oak/

full body, dusty tannins evident, very deep flavors follow the nose, quite concentrated and intense, good complexity, well balanced/

long finish with those dusty (but not unripe) tannins apparent.

This is marvelous stuff and starting to show a bit more of its structure then on release. Even so, it was an excellent match with the food and the nose was memorable. Hold.

1998 Ogier, Cote-Rotie:

quintessential Cote-Rotie in a ripe, rich and forward style; maybe my favorite Ogier of all the recent vintages (although I have not tasted the 2001 yet). A great wine.

With fresh berries and mascarpone:

Spirited conversation.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Very well balanced meal, excellent choice of winesw, though I admit, the rather daring combination of grilled, open faced sandwich of olive bread, mozzarella, tomato, pesto, EVOO and fresh basil with the 1999 Chevillon, Roncieres would have never crossed my mind.

Chapeau !

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.