• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Georgia Farmers' Market/Atl

Lan4Dawg

we made our occasional trek down to the Georgia Farmers' Market down near Hartsfield airport this afternoon. If you have never been to your state farmers' markets then I urge you to do so. We spent much less than $100, including a late lunch at Thomas'-the restaurant on the market property-& returned w/ a p/u truck bed full of tomatoes, okra, squash, eggplant, cucumbers, peppers, beans, peanuts, & fruit. Much of it was fr/ local growers & all of it was extremely fresh. Tomorrow we start the task of making tomato sauce & salsa, pickling cucumbers & okra, prepping squash, boiling peanuts, canning & freezing beans.

I feel kind of like the ant getting ready for winter in the old fable. If you live in the Atlanta area (& note there are other markets around the state) or have a state farmers' market handy make use of it by all means. It beats anything you can get at the grocery in quality, quantity, & price.

(I filled a bag w/ absolutely gorgeous red & green jalapeno peppers, a few habaneros, & some seranos. The guy looked in & said, "oh, fifty cents" ).

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

just south of I-285 off of I-75. It is very well marked but the exit is a little tricky as it is one of those where cars are merging as you are trying to exit so be careful. I did not see Dan Moore represented but I did see some peaches--not a lot but a few--and more watermelons than you could imagine.

the best cat ever.

word. boiled peanuts and a vanilla coke make me happy.

anyways - i ahd no idea there was a State farmer's Market - I will have to check that out. Thanks for the tip!

btw - do you know what the hours are?

Edited by tryska (log)

This is where my Atlanta native bride introduced me to boiled peanuts. Do they still have the guys selling boiled peanuts?

mmmmm, boiled peanuts.

they still sell them down there at several booths.

MOF, I bought about 5 lbs of green peanuts that are boiling merrily away on the stove as I type.

Tomato sauce on one burner, pickling vinegar for cucumbers on the other, peanuts on another, & peas on the last one.

the best cat ever.

It is a 30+ year family tradition that we head down to the Farmers Market and get our Christmas tree, poinsettia and garland. We can't leave until we stock up on newly harvested Florida oranges, Georgia shelled pecans, a coconut and of course some boiled peanuts. It must also be freezing cold so you haggle with the North Carolina tree farmers around their fire barrels. Great fun. Now I go with my husband and our new little growing family.