• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wines drunk recently

Florida Jim

With Swiss cheese and crackers:

1999 Freie Weingartner, Gruner Veltliner Achleiten:

very powerful and expansive nose of flowers, citrus, mineral and light honey/

medium body, smoother and creamier than at release but has element that is almost piquant, strong flavors follow the nose, very intense, concentrated, well balanced/

very long, flavor-filled finish.

I have heard this vineyard described as producing wines with a “pong” on the palate; this wine seems to evince that contention. As noted, it has a smoother and deeper texture than at release. But it is still an intensely flavored Gruner and very well balanced. Delicious.

About $17, discounted.

With Thai curry shrimp on rice:

1998 Mittnacht-Klack, Riesling Schoenenbourg VV:

less powerfully scented than the preceding wine but still floral with elements of white fruit, spice, petrol and sugar syrup on the nose/

medium body, not near as sweet as the last bottle, more mineral tones among the white fruits but still the viscosity of a VT-type wine, concentrated and balanced/

medium length finish.

Good accompaniment to the spicy curry and back in kabinett level of sweetness. Good wine.

About $17, discounted.

With grilled pork chop and root veggies:

2000 Zenato, Valpolicella Ripassa:

very attractive nose of plum jelly, blackberry, maple candy and earth/

medium body, flavors follow the nose with a sweetness that avoids being cloying, concentrated, clean, supple, with good grip/

long, slightly drying finish.

At 13% alcohol, a near-Amarone one can drink with dinner. I thoroughly enjoyed this wine – it is not just Amarone-light but has a flair all its own and was superb with the pork. I will buy a lot of this.

About $15, discounted.

With poached salmon and summer squash casserole with ricotta custard:

1999 Lafarge, Volnay Vendage Seletionnees:

beautiful aromas of fresh cherry juice, gentle oak, spice and earth/

light body but no lack of ripe flavors that follow the nose, somewhat sappy, good grip, well balanced, very clean on the palate/

medium length finish with enough tannin to remind me that this needs more time.

Lovely wine; the kind of wine I could drink more often than any other. Elegant, flavorful, balanced, clear and an absolute delight with the food.

About $35, delivered.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

The one I had is called Dinstlgut Loiben Gruner Veltliner Pfaffenberg. I can't find it in my area, but am on the hunt.

This producer is a coop and there are over 500 owners/growers involved. Not that that means it is a bad producer, by any means, but there are a few producers in that area (the Wachau) that have a more individual style. Some include Hirtzberger, Knoll, Alzinger, Jamek, Nikolaihof, F.X. Pichler, Rudi Pichler and Prager. These may cost a bit more but you may find the individuality is worth the price.

BTW, the last several vintages have been good ones for Gruner.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

With grilled pork chop and root veggies:

2000 Zenato, Valpolicella Ripassa:

very attractive nose of plum jelly, blackberry, maple candy and earth/

medium body, flavors follow the nose with a sweetness that avoids being cloying, concentrated, clean, supple, with good grip/

long, slightly drying finish.

At 13% alcohol, a near-Amarone one can drink with dinner. I thoroughly enjoyed this wine – it is not just Amarone-light but has a flair all its own and was superb with the pork. I will buy a lot of this.

About $15, discounted.

FJ:

I think one of the reasons this tastes so Amarone-esque, more so than other ripassos, is that Allegrini blends 70% Valpolicella and 30% Amarone to make the wine. Most ripassos are Valpolicella fermented with the Amarone lees. This may not be breaking news to anyone but I always have thought their ripasso really stands out due to this technique choice. Again superior pricing where you reside, no doubt.

OK I will admit I am on crack. We are talking about two different wines. I need new glasses apparently. Or maybe it is just time for the gallows........

Edited by Carema (log)

over it

OK I will admit I am on crack. We are talking about two different wines. I need new glasses apparently. Or maybe it is just time for the gallows........

Are you now wearing Riedels, Spiegelaus or Lenscrafters???

You're not serious, are you?

Gallows of Sonoma???

:wacko: