• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hardcore artsy books

duckduck

I'm looking for books in the same vein as the Grand Finales set and anything on sugar pulling and confectionary "arts". Anybody out there have any favorite books (please tell why) or favorite web-sites for finding books?

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

"kitchen arts and letters" in new york. they don't have a web-site, yet (it's under construction). but i think they're happy to help people out over the phone. a little expensive, but i guess one should support the mom and pop stores nowadays.

"jessica's biscuit" which is the same as ecookbooks.com has the grand finales (probably for much cheaper than anywhere else). actually, i check their prices before i buy from anywhere because they are so cheap. you'd be surprised at the selection they have.

also, check jb prince. they are on-line and have a lot of stuff with sugar and chocolate (a lot of european titles).

i just got a great all around reference book on swiss confectionary (there are two books in this series, one is mostly molded/dipped chocolate the other is petit fours) through albert uster (also on-line). unfortunately, they are the only ones who carry this book (good chocolate recipes, very professional and almost scientific in approach) and it is $125...ugh!

p.s. i usually only get books with pictures as this is what inspires me. i'm sure the notters (or ewald) has some great books out there as he has a school...he's supposedly the expert in this field (pulled sugar).

Edited by alanamoana (log)

Ewald has an awesome sugar book, but it is a)very expensive b)all in German. So if you have some bucks buy a Notter book, but otherwise I would spend the money and go to one of his seminars. You would probably get a better worth out of your dollar.

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

A search at MySimon.com found Grand Finales: The Art of the Plated Dessert in like-new condition for $44.71 at Half.com, about $10 cheaper than Chipsbooks.com. And if you go to the link, you can find it new for under $40. That may be depending on the edition, but I think it's worth the sleuthing.

Edited by tanabutler (log)

I bought my Sugar book from germany....It is the Notter book, but it is in german and english. It's kinda funny because I ordered it online from Germany with a few other tools and it was cheaper (even with the shipping) than ordering it from anywhere else in the united states. I ordered it from www.sweetart.de Also, the book Dessert Art is EXCELLENT. They sell that book too. Robert Oppeneder, the person that runs the site also wrote the book. HTH

Pchef

So you are looking for books on plated desserts, showpieces and confectionery?

Ewald has two books on sugarwork, both in English. Both highly recommended--if you can only buy one book, buy the second, newer one; it's more inspiring and the better of the two.

The only other sugar book to consider is the French book by Stephane Glacier--Sucre d'art--I think it is $90 at JB Prince--and it is in English as well. Stephane is amazing, but then so is Ewald.

Neither book addresses isomalt, however.

The Glacier sugar book is in the same vein as the "Chocolat - behind the scenes" book by Philippe Bertrand and Philippe Marand, which is also in English and the best book out there on chocolate artistry. A bargain at $59 bucks from JB Prince.

I don't recommend Oppeneder--his chocolate book is crap. From everything I've seen he seems a cheesy Ewald-wannabe without Ewald's talent. But I have not seen his new book.

As far as confectionery, there's a nice little French book on petits fours by Pascal Brunstein, also in English, which still holds up well. I like the section in the Bau pastry book on chocolate confectionery and ganache. I also have that Richemont Swiss Confectionery series on the shelf but hardly ever open it.

As far as what you'll get out of any of these books, that depends on your skill level. Pastrylady is right that a hands-on class sets you up to do more valuable experimenting with these books later. But then a week of sugar instruction sets you back $700-800.

As far as how books in English with desserts go, probably one-two is still 1) Balaguer and 2) Bau. We've discussed these on the site extensively.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Thanks Steve! You're info is exactly what I was looking for. Money is a problem, otherwise I would be taking classes at Notter's school. It's what I dream of and drool over. Next year, I'm hoping to do the World Pastry Team Competition if it's going on in Vegas again. Saving my pennies.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."