• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2002 Anselmi Soave San Vincenzo

MatthewB

If you shy away from chardonnay & you're looking for something other than your usual suspects (for me this summer, it's been white Bourdeaux, Rieslings, Sancerre, etc.), run--don't walk--and pick this up.

A blend of 80% Garganega, 15% Chardonnay and 5% Trebbiano harvested from the San Vincenzo and Capitel vineyards at a yield of 2.7 tons per acre.

I picked up one bottle to try on recommendation. I'm heading out for a case tomorrow. (Should be ~ $10/bottle around the US.)

Anselmi, along with Pieropan, Inama, Gini and a handful of other producers show the potential of the garganega vine. The Anselmi is a great value.

Anselmi told the DOC to take a hike a few years ago because they let too much junk come out under the name Soave.

To answer the question about when Soave allowed Chardonnay into the blend, it was 1988. The DOC law was revised to allow Garganega to be blended with up to 30% Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc, or Trebbiano. This was a compromise to the proposal by many of the co-operatives to increase the maximum permitted yields.

To answer the question about when Soave allowed Chardonnay into the blend, it was 1988. The DOC law was revised to allow Garganega to be blended with up to 30% Chardonnay, Pinot Blanc, or Trebbiano. This was a compromise to the proposal by many of the co-operatives to increase the maximum permitted yields.

Like most of these law changes it was just the rules catching up with what the producers were doing anyway.