• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prunes-How do I make them from plums

fredbram

My project is to make prunes from some of the plums off of my italian plum tree. I have tried a couple of times in the past and I seem to always end up with a dried plum that is not bad, but is not the same texture as a prune. The prunes that I am aiming for are moister and not as chewy as what I come up with from putting whole or cut in half plums in a home dehydrator. Has anyone got any experience with this?

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

Sorry, can't help you with this. But it did get me wondering: whatever happened to the California growers' campaign to have prunes renamed "dried plums"? Did it just get laughed to death?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

Sorry, I can't remember, but I believe commercial prunes are made from a certain species of plum, so though you'll get prunes from your tree, they might not dry in the same manner.

OK, I'm new and I can't figure out how to do this quote thing.

The California grower's are still working hard on their dried plum campaign, and as far as I can see, getting nowhere.

I belive that I have one of the variety of trees that is used for making prunes. It is an Italian Prune species, I think. Th plums on it are oblong, dark colored, not as moist as most round plums--they look like they would turn into prunes under the right guidance.

I am thinking that the home dehydrator is too hot and goes too fast. Perhaps it needs to be a slower, cooler process.

Jackal--what did you end up with? Did you like the results? Did they seem moist and tender like prunes or tough and dry like shoe leather?

Fred Bramhall

The plums used to make the best prunes in both France and California are the 'Prune d'agen' variety. This a European type (black skin with blue 'blush', yellow flesh) rather then Asian type plum. The Italian plum is most likely a similar type, so it should work well. To get the 'juicy' they may require the plums to have large amount of sugar at the time they are to be dried.

OK, I'm new and I can't figure out how to do this quote thing.

Just hit the quote button on the far right side, on the same line as the person's name. Then, if you don't want the entire post quoted, go down to the second box on the 'reply' page, and delete what you don't want to appear. You can also break up the original post with quotes by using the quote button above the reply box. You have to hit quote to open, and then to close. Sometimes you have to leave a line between paragraphs. You can play around and look at th post using the preview button. If you have any other questions, ask away.

Oh yeah, welcome!

Edited by elyse (log)

Just hit the quote button on the far right side, on the same line as the person's name.  Then, if you don't want the entire post quoted, go down to the second box on the 'reply' page, and delete what you don't want to appear.  You can also break up the original post with quotes by using the quote button above the reply box.  You have to hit quote to open, and then to close. 

Thanks for the help with quotes. I appreciate it, so what can you do for me on my plums now?

Just kidding.

Fred Bramhall

Sorry, can't help you with this. But it did get me wondering: whatever happened to the California growers' campaign to have prunes renamed "dried plums"? Did it just get laughed to death?

Actually the change has already taken place. My local Costco as well as local grocery stores sell them.

OrangeEssence.jpg

LemonEssence.jpg

I have no idea how their sales are doing since the campaign started, but it's started.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver