• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SF - Quiet inexpensive restaurant with atmosphere

runabout

Hi, I am not what one could call a "foodie," but I would like to find an inxpensive place with a nice feel about it, good decor and food that is tasty, worth remembering, but not expensive, say about $20 per person for main plus a glass of wine...

Not interested in sushi, seafood or fish as the focus, but otherwise am wide open.

I have a meeting with someone (not romantic) that I want to make a particular impression upon.

An inexpensive restaurant with a nice decor, quiet enough to have a conversation of considerable importance, with waitstaff that knows when and how often to approach, a decent wine list, and if possible, a place with either history or an offbeat or unusual flair.

Have I asked too much? Oh, in SF proper.

I don't want to fall into ending up at the "in" spot that everyone goes to. Kind of looking for something that may impress as a "find."

Thanks very much!

Perhaps Pane y Vino, in Cow Hollow. May be more thant $20 though. Near Russian Hill, you can try Antica Trattoria, I Frascati, Baldoria (all Italian) or Zarzuela (Spanish/Tapas). These are more "neighborhood joints", that are crowded, but not a scene.

The Schnitzel Haus at 9th and Folsom. Deer antler chandeliers, and quiet oompah music, and a lederhosen-wearing drunken owner with a lot of missing teeth, and very good schnitzel and German beer. I love that place. The owner will leave you alone, he mostly sits with a glass of wine in the back and broods. Cheap as hell too.

if you're looking at lunch...you may do better at Hawthorne Lane (if they're still open). overlooked because they used to be much more expensive, they've toned down prices have very professional waitstaff and the place is perfect for business meetings. you'll definitely impress the people you're with.

Thanks for all the suggestions, you folks are fabulous.

Any area of the city is fine.

I tend to get stuck in central SF. I don't have the budget to eat out like a proper San Franciscan, and so I often am not aware of what is going on.

The Shnitzel House sounds like a good time, but maybe for a different dining companion. Woodward has always been put up as a romantic restaurant and I am not intending to give off that vibe... : )

Will investigate Hawthorne Lane. We were planning a dinner meeting to allow open ended time. I know it is too pricey for that, but we may be able to work a lunch...

I really like Anjou, particularly for lunch. The space is intimate. Ask for the table to the immediate left of the stairs on the mezzanine. It is in a corner and totally undisturbed. The well prepared and beautifully served food is bistro French. There is a $14 lunch special that includes soup or salad and a choice of around 6 main plates. One of my favorites if rare leg of lamb slices draped over excellent lentil salad. With wine, your tab should come in just around $20. at lunch. A plus is that you are never hassled to leave or rush. I have often arrived at noon and left just after 3. Anjou is a chic little sleeper that is steps away from the Stockton 30 and 45, 2, 3 and 4 buses, and a couple of blocks from the Montgomery Bart station.

(44 Campton Place: running from Stockton to Grant between Post and Sutter)

Anjou

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all of you with suggestions for my meeting.

We actually ended up at Alborz on Van Ness. It was convienent for the woman I was meeting.

I have only eaten at one Persian restaurant before and I had kabobs. To me, going for a kabob is about the same as going for a burger...

I have eaten many many homecooked meals prepared by a Persian and often it would include some amazing taddig.

I ordered Fesenjoon with taddig at Alborz. I have never had fesenjoon before so I have no frame of reference for the dish. I found it very tasty.

The taddig was nothing like what I was use to and was a major disappointment. All of the rice was dried out and tough. I have been served homestyle taddig that had big fluffy grains of basmati with only the top layer of grains golden and crunchy but not dried and tough. Perhaps it is a regional difference?

The service was a bit stiff and not at all like the warmth I would expect from a Persian host.

I doubt I'll return for seconds. Next time I'll stick to the egullet referrals!

Did stop in at Citizen Cake for a wonderful dessert!

Thanks much to all.

Clara