• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN Canneto d'Angelo 1997

"T"

First wine ever for me from Basilicata. From what I've been told d'Angelo is one of the better producers from this region and Canneto one of their best bottles so when I saw this on the shelf I said what the hell.

Grapes are harvested late and matured for 15 months in small oak barrels.

Medium garnet at the core fading to a garnet/brick rim. Medium viscosity, nice legs.

Fairly intense on the nose. Mushroomy, suggests a bit of development. Dark berries, licorice, eucalyptus, old wood, tobacco on the nose.

Medium acid and tannin.palate mimics the nose. Berry fruit, licorice, slight eucalyptus, old wood, toast and an undefinable spice. I know I've tasted it before but at the moment I can't pinpoint it. Medium to high alcohol. Tannins persist along with acid until the end. Not unpleasent though. Medium lenghth finishing with ripe dark cherries

Decanted for about an hour then tasted. Retasted after another hour and getting smoother and fruitier.

One bottle left at the store, may pick it up tomorrow and try it again in about 2-5 years.

Does anyone else know this bottle?

---------------------------

Tried again after a few hours and more cherry on the nose along with rose petals.

Tannins are smoothing out, various components are coming together. Getting buzzzzzzzzzed.

Edited by "T" (log)

slowfood/slowwine