• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best cooking schools in Paris

cmckee

Sign me up when your dream comes true...it sound fantastic!!

In the meantime, has anyone heard of Cooking with Friends in France? It is a week-long class taught in the former homes of Julia Child and Simone Beck, where they wrote Mastering the Art of French Cooking, no less! The teacher is Kathie Alex, who was one of Simone Beck's students. Sounds like a fabulous opportunity, n'est-ce pas?

You might take a look at Shawguides website www.shawguides.com who have a comprehensive list of cooking programs in France (and elsewhere) under cooking schools- avocational. Patricia Wells in Provence, Susan Loomis in Normandy, Kathi Alex in Cote d'Azur are all well-respected professionals. I, too, run a program-- called 'The French Kitchen' in Gascony. What a great way to discover the wonderfully different gastronomic regions of France. Have fun!

You might take a look at Shawguides website www.shawguides.com who have a comprehensive list of cooking programs in France (and elsewhere) under cooking schools- avocational.  Patricia Wells in Provence, Susan Loomis in Normandy, Kathi Alex in Cote d'Azur are all well-respected professionals. I, too, run a program-- called 'The French Kitchen' in Gascony.  What a great way to discover the wonderfully different gastronomic regions of France. Have fun!

and i adore your book, as well! are you still barging, or have you settled on terra firma?

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Merci Cherie for the kind words. After lurking for a few weeks from the barge, I decided I needed to introduce myself. And yes, I am still afloat on the Julia Hoyt but keep one slightly muddy foot in the potager here at Camont- my version of surf and turf.

If I can offer any more information wyf4lyf, don't hesitate to email me directly.

It is great to be in touch with this strong e-community while floating quietly on this watery Gascon backroad.

Has anyone heard of La Cuisine de Marie-Blanche in Paris? Any comments?? For 1000e she offers a week with 5 cooking classes, 2 pastry classes, and 4 "art de vivre" classes about entertaining in the French manner, and the like. This sounds like quite a good deal. Supposedly she gave Princess Diana cooking lessons...and has an affiliation with the chef at the Plaza Athenee -- he teaches at her school from time to time. Let me know if you've heard anything, good or bad. Thanks!

I was just in Lyon & Paris on a trip thru school and we went to Institute Paul Bocuse (in Ecully, near Lyon), and Ferrandi (in Paris). I don't know if I am blinded by the thought of spreading my wings and living in a foreign country, but I am seriously considering going to either one of these schools.

I know that both of them have short-term classes that are taught in english, and it's not very expensive (compared to what I'm paying for school). I'm sorry, I don't have any of the information near me, so I can't tell more.

I hope this post was not useless. Oh, and if I go to Insitute Paul Bocuse, I'm taking Chef William home with me. :raz::biggrin:

"I cook with wine ... I sometimes put it in food."

jbo,

Your post was far from useless. I looked up the website for the Institut Paul Bocuse and I was so surprised and thrilled to find what I have been dreaming about. Among the various offerings is a 12-week school for amateurs who want to be taught in a professional environment and really learn the tricks of the trade. As much as the one-week "gourmet vacation" schools have sounded fun, I've really been looking for something a bit more serious on the cooking side. This one might be a bit *too* serious, or at least a bit too long, but I'm soooo glad to know it exists. He also offers a 1-week course that is more in line with the others I've seen.

I have much to ponder. It will take me awhile to save up the funds for this summer program, and I have a family who needs me during the summer months. But perhaps once the kids are out of the house (2 teens...one will be going to college next year), it might be the right time to take the plunge. Thanks for alerting me to this option. It is something I will seriously consider!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just back from vacation in Paris, and while there took a full day hands on course at Le Cordon Bleu. I thought it was worth the 130 or so euro price. At the end of the day you get to take home a substanial portion of the main course you cook yourself in the "hands on" session. In my case it was sea bass over over a bed of squid and pepper surrounded by a saffron broth. I learned alot and had a great time. I'd highly reccommend it. I have pictures and the complete menu if anyone is interested in a more detailed post.

Just back from vacation in Paris, and while there took a full day hands on course at Le Cordon Bleu. I thought it was worth the 130 or so euro price. At the end of the day you get to take home a substanial portion of the main course you cook yourself in the "hands on" session. In my case it was sea bass over over a bed of squid and pepper surrounded by a saffron broth. I learned alot and had a great time. I'd highly reccommend it. I have pictures and the complete menu if anyone is interested in a more detailed post.

It sounds terrific, I'd love to see the photos.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 3 weeks later...

This Thursday's Paris Vendu mentioned one more - Classe Cuisine, 80, rue des Tournelles in the 3rd, 01.44.54.02.18, Metro Chemin-Vert, 60 Euros for an evening course starting at 6:30 PM. Info here. NB; they're having a special course on cooking foie gras Dec 15-30, sign up before Nov 30 though.

John Talbott

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hello to all,

I would like to know if anyone out there has taken one of those short cooking classes/vacations in France which last from one to two weeks. I am interested in taking a few during the summers but there are so many out there that frankly, seem like a waste of time. They don't spend enough time in the kitchen for my taste. Can anyone make a suggestion? Tks.

Hello to all,

I would like to know if anyone out there has taken one of those short cooking classes/vacations in France which last from one to two weeks.  I am interested in taking a few during the summers but there are so many out there that frankly, seem like a waste of time.  They don't spend enough time in the kitchen for my taste.  Can anyone make a suggestion?  Tks.

In addition to members answering your query, to assist anyone in their search for Cooking Classes and Courses, I've put up a compendium of past threads on the subject. Embedded in one or more of them may be one that speaks to your request.

Please let us know your decision and how it works out.

John Talbott

• 4 weeks later...

I believe this is a new mention: May's FRANCE magazine wrote up a place called Aromes et Saveurs that purposefully mixes French folk and foreigners. It's at 181, rue Vercingetorix in the 14th, 06.80.52.44.26. Their website is in French, English and Italian.

John Talbott

• 2 weeks later...

Tuesday’s Le Figaro had an article about a book called Vacances Gourmands by Astrid Latapie about classes throughout France (Albin Michel, 10 €), from a medieval meal in Vienne to a vegan one in the Ariege to studying with Ducasse and Bocusse.

John Talbott

• 6 months later...

I have a dream, which I have harbored for many years. Now, with a my 40th birthday just past, I'm hoping to make it real: I want to be Sabrina. Audrey Hepburn in paris, learning how to cook and be a lady at the same time. it would be sexist, if it weren't so sexy.

I want a short vigorous course where I will learn to crack and egg and cook a souffle (par example). I don't speak french very well, so I fear it may be at one of those for tourists places.

Which schools are more about skills, and less about goofing around learning a recipe?

I will be in France from mid december to early january, and am willing to push dates around for the right place... any ideas? (and yes, I'm digging though the threads.. I'm just having trouble finding the right... er... flavor of school.)

"Gourmandise is not unbecoming to women: it suits the delicacy of their organs and recompenses them for some pleasures they cannot enjoy, and for some evils to which they are doomed." Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin

MetaFooder: linking you to food | @foodtwit

I have a dream, which I have harbored for many years. Now, with a my 40th birthday just past, I'm hoping to make it real: I want to be Sabrina. Audrey Hepburn in paris, learning how to cook and be a lady at the same time. it would be sexist, if it weren't so sexy.

I want a short vigorous course where I will learn to crack and egg and cook a souffle (par example). I don't speak french very well, so I fear it may be at one of those for tourists places.

Which schools are more about skills, and less about goofing around learning a recipe?

I will be in France from mid december to early january, and am willing to push dates around for the right place... any ideas? (and yes, I'm digging though the threads.. I'm just having trouble finding the right... er... flavor of school.)

I do not have direct experience with any of the following, but they are worth checking out:

Bellouet Conseil

Ecole Lenotre

Ecole Ritz Escoffier

I think that all of the above have long as well as short programs. Of course, longer would be preferable, oui? Get a french tutor and start learning from Capretz' French in Action series immediatement. You won't regret it.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”