• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best cooking schools in Paris

cmckee

Hello,

After graduating from the university, I was in business for about six years and now have the opportunity to take an extended leave of absence and would really like to pursue a passion for cooking that I've had for a long time. I would like to return to France and go to cooking school and am looking at schools in Paris. So far, I've managed to come up with a short list:

*Ritz Escoffier

*Le Cordon Bleu

*Le Notre

*l'Ecole Gregoire Ferrandi (ESCF)

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on these schools in Paris - particularly within this list ("best one", "one to avoid", "all about the same", etc.) (As a secondary criteria, since I've already lived in France for several years, I'm looking for a school that offers the classes only in French - or the option to take classes only in French).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've seen many postings by Louisa Chu (Loufood) and was wondering what her advice might be.

Also, any advice for finding apartments in Paris would be helpful - do the schools help with finding apartments?

Thanks in advance!

I have just finished the Grande Diplome program at Le Cordon Bleu in London - I can highly recommend it. I know that in Paris the Basic and Intermediate level demonstartions are presented in French with an English translator, and the Superior level is all in French... loufood can fill you in more...

If you do a search for Cordon Bleu on this site, you will find several strings where this type of school is discussed and you can get a better idea of what some of the opinions are, both pro and con...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

cmckee, what do you want to do and how much time do you have? Sandra's right, at CB Paris, Basic and Intermediate Cuisine and Pastry are done in French with an English translator - all practicals in French only. Superior - all French.

Apartments - CB doesn't really help you find an apartment - they'll give you a list of agencies that students have used. But there are a handful of good apartments that students pass on from one to another. I think I'm the only one who has an unfurnished apartment - and insanely shipped over almost all my worldly possessions.

Thank you for your responses! I am looking more at classical training for now and I will be able to stay for a year or more. I noticed that the Ritz Escoffier has modules that last a couple of months each and together make up the full diploma over a 7-9 month period. (I think CB has the same type of system).

• 1 month later...

We are Americans living in Paris. My hisbands 40th birthday is in November. He has always loved cooking. I would like to surprise him with some cooking classes. I am only looking for 4 or so classes. He travels a lot for business. There are several "at home" type places. I think he would love a high end type class. Any suggestions?

Hi Jennifer - welcome to eGullet.

For high-end cooking classes in your own home, PM/email me - I might be able to help you there. Yes - I'm doing cooking classes - but on a very limited basis!

In someone else's home:

Patricia Wells - thanks fresh_a for the link - but she's booked until April.

Promenades Gourmandes - Paule Caillat is very charming.

Other high-end options:

Le Cordon Bleu offers short gourmet courses from one to four days. They also have a luxurious package with the Georges V.

Ritz-Escoffier is also highly recommended.

Good luck!

Sandra Gustafson (she writes a series of travel books called Great Eats/Great Sleeps in XXXXX) is a writer I trust a lot--she recommends:

Paule Caillat

118, boulevard Richard Lenoir, 75011

Tel. 01-43-14-00-80

I've not taken classes from her, but I've rarely had Ms. Gustafson steer me wrong. She says that Paule takes you shopping in the markets in the morning and cooks with you afterward...sounds good!

:smile:

Jamie

See! Antony, that revels long o' nights,

Is notwithstanding up.

Julius Caesar, Act II, Scene ii

biowebsite

• 5 weeks later...

i recommend paule caillat and her promenades gourmandes as well.

I've sat in on her classes, walked her walks, eaten at her table and written about her numerous times for newspapers and my upcoming book on Paris. she'll ask you your preferences and build the event around you and guests. its a great way of socializing too, i've been there where its a group of several couples, or a two day event, or a morning of several old friends who get together with the cooking class and shopping expedition as the focal point. and paule really teaches you extraordinarily good basics in an informal setting. her pastry crust is fabulous and easy.

tell her marlena sent you!

Marlena the spieler

www.marlenaspieler.com

• 2 weeks later...

I know that many cooking schools also have "training" restaurants that offer inexpensive meals of good quality. CIA does this, and in Seattle where I live, the community college offers a great lunch.

Do any of the cooking schools in Paris offer similar accomodations? I'd love to give one a try while I'm there in early February.

Hal

I'm not aware of any. Louisa should have a better idea.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

Indeed, plenty of schools do it in Paris.

Ecole superieure de cuisine Ferrandi, between Place Montparnasse and St Germain, is probably the most respected cooking school in the city, with great chefs like Martin, Chibois, Pourcel bros. working as "associate professors" to the students. They have 2 restaurants, and do lunch and diner.

There's another school in the 17th that does it.

And so on...

You get search the net for more infos.

Enjoy !

Eddy M., Chef & Owner

Se.ed Artisan Foods, Vancouver BC

Follow Se.ed's growth at: http://spaces.msn.com/members/fromseedtofood/

• 1 year later...

Paris Cooking Schools

Eric Chartier

Ex pastry chef at Baumann & Frères Costes

3 hours is 90€ a person.

Marie-Blanche de Broglie

Since 1975

5 courses of 3 hours each at 550€

Patrick Laurent at La Cornue

You don’t do it, but watch.

3 hours for 80€

Fréderic Chesneau

The ex TV chef for a “Cook-Dating” session

60-70€ for 6 persons (3 single women and 3 single men for “heteros” or 6 men or 6 women for the “version homo”)

“Trucs de chefs” (trans=chefs’ secrets)

From primitive to sophisticated.

3 hours:

50€ for beginners

75€ for pretty confident

30€ for children

L’Atelier des Chefs

A bit different; you fix your own meal in a kitchen with experts & books as resources.

15€ - 1 course

34€ - 2 courses

51€ - 3 courses

L’Atelier Suhou (Japanese)

Tuesdays and Saturdays

55-75€

Italian Cultural Center (Italian)

Saturdays and Sundays

25€ for 3 hours

The Ritz School

Tailored for beginners or experts or children

Restaurant Natachef (Natalie Vigato, wife of Jean-Pierre of Apicius)

Demonstrations Thursdays from 4-6 PM

50€ a course

Restaurant du Marché

Courses from 11-1:30 Saturdays for groups of 6-8

60€ a course

Olivier Berté who comes to your house (I assume here in Paris only)

3-8 persons

60€ a course

Everything from L’Astuces to Tours de Mains (French & other cuisine)

3 hours Tuesday to Friday: 4 hours Saturday

90€ a course

Diet cooking

Tuesday-Friday 11 AM – 2 PM

80€ for adults; 55€ for students and adolescents

Françoise Meunier

Tuesdays 2:30-5:30; Wednesdays-Saturdays 10:30-1:30

90€ a course

Edited by John Talbott to add links; 10h50 24 Nov 2004

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

A Nous Paris published one more school in addition to some of those in my previous post:

Ecole Lenôtre

Monday-Saturday 9-1 PM, 2-6 PM

4 hours is 105€; the full day is 200€

They also published the website for the Atelier des Chefs: www.atelierdeschefs.com and Saveurs in November had a 2-page spread that made it look like everyone was having fun.

Edited for grammar. 19h05 23-11-04

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

I went to L’Atelier des Chefs during my lunch break two weeks ago and loved it. I wouldn’t say it’s for accomplished cooks really, as you prepare a whole meal in about 25 minutes, but I enjoyed it immensely nonetheless. We made veal saltimbocca, sautéed baby articokes, and sautéed potatoes. Afterwards everyone sits together family style and eats. You can then order dessert, wine, coffee, etc to go with the meal.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

I went to Ecole Lenotre in late October 2004 for two half day classes: l'Opera and Pain Epice. Both classes were practical with a maximum of 8 people per class. The whole class would participate in completing the recipe together as a group. The class room resembles a well-equiped home kitchen with a big island in the centre. The focus of the class is definitely towards teaching the students how to prepare the recipe at home.

Chef Francois Schmitt was the instructor for both of my classes. He's knowledgeable and communicates in a concise manner. He's also very patient with the students.

You don't need to bring anything to class, even the aprons are provided. I would recommend picking up a copy of the Lenotre catalogue before registering for your classes. In the fall/winter issue, there's a coupon for buy one get the second at 50% off.

Candy Wong

"With a name like Candy, I think I'm destined to make dessert."

Want to know more? Read all about me in my blog.

• 4 weeks later...

December 11th, Alexandra Michot had an article in Le Figaro on places to learn to cook lighter fare. They included places in Paris, Biarritz, Courchevel, Eugenie-les-Bains, Strasbourg and various Chateaux et Hotels de France and Relais and Chateaux.

John Talbott

• 4 weeks later...

I am interested in one day (or part of one day) cooking or French wine classes during our June, 2005 Paris visit. On line I have only found one possible, L'Atelier Saveur et Savoir with Marie Nael in the 7th. Anyone in touch with this sort of food activity? Many major cities in the USA have these sorts of classes, intended for locals and often taught by the staffs of the great chefs. Any insights or experiences would be welcomed. One of us speaks some French, but food knows no oral language - except yum! If they can enjoy us, we a ready!

• 3 weeks later...

Tom, I checked the website for the Ecole Ritz Escoffier , where I took a few classes some years ago. They list some short (Saturday and evening) courses both food and wine related. The web site is really light on information--it doesn't tell you much about the theme (cuisine, vinyard, etc.) of each--but I wouldn't hesitate to send an e-mail, someone there will reply in English.

FYI, though it appears the program has changed since I was there (1993-95), I think it is probably safe to assume that the short courses (2-4 hrs) are more demonstration than hands-on--although my recollection is that the groups were small and there was plenty of opportunity to ask questions and taste. The chefs who taught the classes and demonstrations were excellent and really wonderful instructors--though not famous names if that's what you are looking for. The facililities, ingredients, wines, etc. in classes were first-rate. Also, my French is okay but there was often someone available to translate for those who wanted it, esp. at demonstrations.

You might also want to check out the wine bar thread. You can get quite an education in a wine bar if you are there when it's a little slow and aren't afraid to ask questions.