• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: NeroW - You asked for it.

NeroW

Thanks, tommy, I will.

Except for me it's a money issue, and with the money I spend on that book . . . I could buy wine.

it's 11 bucks. that's barely a bottle of wine. and after you read it, you'll be saving a *lot* more money because you won't be buying shit wine.

when is your birthday?

What kind of wine you buying?

I can get like 3 bottles out of $11.

My birthday is September 28.

EDIT: maggie, you wrote that down! :smile:

Edited by NeroW (log)

Noise is music. All else is food.

What kind of wine you buying?

I can get like 3 bottles out of $11.

oh dear. :sad:

Yep.

That's what the cashiers say.

I was worried you would say that about the wine.  Actually, I thought about it.

Craig Camp, I would love to drink better wine!  Send me some.

read a book. *the* book. this book. :smile:

Willie is the coolest. Dated a roommate of mine for a while. I think this is the best book out there for people who appreciate a good glass of wine but don't have the time, money or inclination to do a lot of homework and become wine connaisseurs. However, because it is geared towards this kind of wine consumer I can see how real cognoscenti like Craig have problems with it.

Tommy, have you ever been to Nancy's Wines?

--

Willie is the coolest.  Dated a roommate of mine for a while.  I think this is the best book out there for people who appreciate a good glass of wine but don't have the time, money or inclination to do a lot of homework and become wine connaisseurs.  However, because it is geared towards this kind of wine consumer I can see how real cognoscenti like Craig have problems with it.

i love nancy's wines, and wish it were more convenient for me.

i suspect craig might actually appreciate willie. what says you, craig?

also, i think you're missing the point of the book to some extent. it's also for people who will become become real connoisseurs, but who want a really good concise jumping off point. and some of the readers even have money i'd bet.

Edited by tommy (log)

i suspect craig might actually appreciate willie.  what says you, craig?

On the What's Wrong with Merlot thread, Craig said:

Mr. Gluckstern's book takes an extremely oversimplified approach more reflective of his own palate (which is very good) than the realities of the wine world.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

i suspect craig might actually appreciate willie.  what says you, craig?

On the What's Wrong with Merlot thread, Craig said:

Mr. Gluckstern's book takes an extremely oversimplified approach more reflective of his own palate (which is very good) than the realities of the wine world.

well i guess you just saved craig a post. that was nice of you.

unless, of course, he appreciates the book in the sense that it gets novice wine drinkers into wine within 20 minutes.

In the same thread he says:

While Willy makes some good points that can be of use to someone who know absolutely nothing about wine. His approach is too simplistic for anyone who does any homework on their own.

I do think you have a point, however, that it is a great way to introduce people to an appreciation of wine -- especially those who might be intimidated or inexperienced. These same people may go on to leave Willie's book behind and become more expert as their interest grows.

Me? I just don't have the time, resources or interest. I like a good glass of wine... I really like a good glass of wine. But I have too many other things going on to make a major hobby out of it. I find that I can follow Willie's advice on my own and/or rely on the advice of trusted wine shops (which Willie also explains about in his book) and expect to find very good wines at a reasonable price 90% of the time. Are there certain wines that I may miss out on by following Willie's advice? Certainly. But I feel that I am skipping a whole lot of losers and overlooking relatively few winners by doing so.

--

well i guess you just saved craig a post.  that was nice of you.

unless, of course, he appreciates the book in the sense that it gets novice wine drinkers into wine within 20 minutes.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to speak for Craig. But he lives in Italy, and I'm sure it's past his bedtime. :smile:

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Egad.

And she can talk and write and everything.

Oh.

Wait.

That's right. It's 2003 and I'm an old hag.

:blink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Egad.

Oh.

Wait.

I am also amazed at my own quick development as far as talking and writing goes.

I *just* learned to wipe myself.

:unsure:

Egad.

Oh.

Wait.

I am also amazed at my own quick development as far as talking and writing goes.

When it comes to stamina, you can wipe the floor with most of us. :smile:

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"

My birthday is September 28.?

Egad.

Oh.

Wait.

When it comes to stamina, you can wipe the floor with most of us. :smile:

Nah.

I just have no shame.

or you could be like me, and only go wineshopping with a wine geek in tow.

final option: call wine geek friend from wine store.

hey katie, it's herb.

i'm standing here in the wine aisle at the store,

need some advice on what to buy.

wait it's a special kinda wine they got here.

lemme read it for you: cheeeee lay. am i saying that right? maybe it's chilly. yea, chilly, like chilly willy.

you mean you need more info than that?

white or red?

can't i choose another color? they got any green wines?

wait, i like this bottle. it's blue. blue is cool. i'm a buy me one of these.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Willie is the coolest. Dated a roommate of mine for a while. I think this is the best book out there for people who appreciate a good glass of wine but don't have the time, money or inclination to do a lot of homework and become wine connoisseurs. However, because it is geared towards this kind of wine consumer I can see how real cognoscenti like Craig have problems with it.

I met Willie once and he is one of those true believers. He was nice enough to give me a copy of his book and I think it is a great book to introduce people to wine. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to start off in the wine world on the right foot. I also applaud his focus on wines that don't cost an arm and a leg: speaking of getting off on the right foot. By the way it is also a fun read as compared to most of the deadly wine tomes I had to force myself through when I was just getting into wine.

The merlot comments were in relation to that thread and varietal not as a total indictment of a very useful and passionately written book.

We both love acid.

Nancy's is a very nice store with a lovely selection. What a radical concept - wine that goes with food!

We both love acid.

Man... It's been a long time, but I really used to love that stuff too. :wink:

+

I had a friend once who claimed the buzz was better from great wine. He also claimed the hangovers were lesser. He also used to drink Corton Charlemagne right out of the bottle.

My dad often compares Montrachet to... "purple barrels" or whatever you guys used to drop back in the day. :wink:

I suspect he's exaggerating, but I haven't had a chance to compare, since he blew his whole trust fund on said Montrachet and purple barrels before I was born. :angry:

nero --

That was a reaallly good read!

Wow! I get through a day with maybe a few croutons (carbo addict) and some ranch dressing to dip them in. Of course, with loads of caffeine. The liquid diet is probably more than the solids!

BTW, we light our Irish Car Bombs. And you lucky thing you! Smooched by bourdain? woo hoooo!

BTW, we light our Irish Car Bombs.  And you lucky thing you!  Smooched by bourdain?  woo hoooo!

I believe I already said this, but I had managed to forget about that picture.

Now, however, it haunts my dreams again.

:wink: