• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sur la Table

KNorthrup

Sur la Table (Seattle-based kitchenware store) is opening seven new stores this year and plan on another fifteen next year. Focusing on locations near related retailers - Pottery Barn, Restoration Hardware, etc. Press release doesn't give specific new locations but probably your usual major metro and related high-end suburb suspects. Hopefully it works rather than drives them under, but it seems risky.

Why do you think it might be risky? I think Sur La Table has figured out that they are very different from Williams Sonoma--that their differences appeal to customers outside of NoCal (it is much better than Williams Sonoma, which has been mediocre and static for a while) and that with more of a national presence and buying clout they probably can order and stock what extra they need, train the new people they need, find enough reasonable rents per square foot in these places, etc.

The newish Sur La Table that opened near me--in Pentagon Row, VA--seems to be doing gangbusters. I go in there a lot. It has tremendous selection, lots of stylish stuff, depth, choice, prices, very nice staff (though not terribly knowledgeable.) Just one example: it has big blocks of Valrhona, E. Guittard AND Michel Cluizel chocolate--call that an embarrassment of riches--and at decent prices to boot. But having nice staff and good customer service is well received in this era or poor customer service at the retail level.

If this indicates anything it is probably that you need stores and an online/catalog presence to grow. One or the other is not enough.

The thing is--I never realized it was Seattle-based? I always thought, incorrectly I guess, that its flagship store was that huge nice San Francisco store. Did anyone else?

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Having pressed my nose to the window of the not-yet-opened Sur La Table at the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market in San Francisco (and hoping passersby didn't hear me actually whimper), and having on many occasions strolled through Williams-Sonoma stores all over the place, I would cast my vote for SLT. Their aisles are crowded and narrow—meaning I think their selection is better. I can't exactly quantify that.

I can't wait to go up, now that they're open.

Why do you think it might be risky?  I think Sur La Table has figured out that they are very different from Williams Sonoma--that their differences appeal to customers outside of NoCal...

It's an interesting point.

I shop at the Sur La Table in Los Gatos, CA, and it's almost directly butt-up against a Williams Sonoma that opens into the street behind.

The SLT is always packed with people, while the Williams Sonoma just has a few. So even people in No Cal know.

As for me, I buy most of the "practical" kitchen items at SLT. There are some serving pieces, etc, that we get at Williams Sonoma, and occasionally some of that yummy pound-cake mix they sell.

So while it's rarely first choice to buy at, it's always on the list of places to browse.

The thing is--I never realized it was Seattle-based?  I always thought, incorrectly I guess, that its flagship store was that huge nice San Francisco store.  Did anyone else?

Oh dear! Here in Seattle we think of it as a local success story (like Starbucks). The original store is at Pike Place Market (near the original Starbucks). Actually, I've never been inside any of the other stores. There's a big one across the lake in Kirkland, which is where they hold their classes locally (the Market store is too small). Locals speak nostalgically of the original store before its remodel, which occurred some time before I moved to Seattle in 1996. As it is right now, it's cluttered and cozy and full of good stuff. Matthew worked there for a while. I always enjoy looking through the catalog, even though it is full of ridiculous items that I can't believe anyone ever buys. A new SLT opened in Portland recently, right next door to Powell's.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I always enjoy looking through the catalog, even though it is full of ridiculous items that I can't believe anyone ever buys.

Yeah... Like a $365 ceramic rooster! That thing has been in the catalog as long as I can remember. But... WHY???

I first got to know SLT through their catalog then they opened a store here in Houston. It is a fun store. I even find some good deals from time to time that make for good gifts. But I have been annoyed that catalog items are rarely available in the store, even though the item does not say "catalog only". I will see the perfect gift for a shower or whatever and need it NOW. The store always says they ran out. So now I just try to plan ahead because they really do have some neat stuff and my gifts from there are always a hit.

If they keep up the quality and selection, I don't see why they can't expand their market as long as they watch the debt load.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I like SLT. I always check thier website when looking for a new kitchen item because, if they have it, I can run to the store here in D.C. and get it that day w/o shipping and browse a little too. They have a pretty broad selection at similar prices to the rest of the internet. I agree, the catalog can be over the top; I've gotten off thier mailing list.

I went to the Seattle store while there last summer. I didn't realize it was the first.

Having pressed my nose to the window of the not-yet-opened Sur La Table at the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market in San Francisco (and hoping passersby didn't hear me actually whimper), and having on many occasions strolled through Williams-Sonoma stores all over the place, I would cast my vote for SLT. Their aisles are crowded and narrow—meaning I think their selection is better. I can't exactly quantify that.

I can't wait to go up, now that they're open.

There's been a Sur La Table store in San Francisco for about 5 years -- on Maiden Lane near Grant.

I always enjoy looking through the catalog, even though it is full of ridiculous items that I can't believe anyone ever buys.

Yeah... Like a $365 ceramic rooster! That thing has been in the catalog as long as I can remember. But... WHY???

Hey! We sell that ridiculous ceramic chicken more often than you'd ever imagine. Now, the $1200 duck press is something that to my knowledge we've never sold (at least not at the San Francisco store, where I work).

I receive their catalogue sporadically and enjoy going through it. Been to both the original store in Seattle and the store in SF. The SF store has an impressive listing of classes offered. I'm suprised they haven't made attempt to crack New York City (although I believe they have a store on Long Island). You would think it's a market they would want a presence in.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Sure, in an ideal world. But NYC is expensive and competitive. I doubt they could make the numbers work on a destination Manhattan showroom. Would you want to go up against Broadway Panhandler, Zabars, all the little markets and gourmet stores and Chinatown and...JB Prince? Yes, JB Prince was recently "outed" to the general public by New York magazine as "Best Kitchen Supply Store in NYC."

http://www.nymetro.com/urban/guides/bestof...itchentools.htm

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com

Sur La Table opened in Seattle across from Pike Place Market back in the early '70, I think. For a long time this was their only store. Some time during the '90s they opened stores in Kirkland, WA and San Francisco and around the same time the original owners sold out.

In Seattle I think SLT is considered to be on the pricey side. I go there when I'm looking for something a little out of the ordinary, that I don't expect to find in my corner kitchen store. :biggrin: I also love to shop the clearance table. Last week I got a great manual meat grinder for $25.

A new SLT opened in Portland recently, right next door to Powell's.

Yes. Which is across the street from my office. Miserable choice to have to make each payday.

I like SLT very much. I buy from them frequently. My stepfather buys all my mother's birthday and Christmas presents there. And I know they're trained professionals but there are just all those cautionary tales about chains expanding too aggressively and getting into trouble. Although the only examples I can come up with off the top of my head right now are Mrs Fields and Boston Market and they're not the same sort of category but you know what I mean.

Side rant -- Portland still doesn't have a Crate & Barrel. Which is annoying, since they are so much cheaper than SLT and WS and sometimes you need that.

Hey! We sell that ridiculous ceramic chicken more often than you'd ever imagine. Now, the $1200 duck press is something that to my knowledge we've never sold (at least not at the San Francisco store, where I work).

You have to be kidding. (Though I know you are not.) Who in God's creation spends that kind of bucks on a ceramic chicken? Boy... Is that weird or what. You gotta question some folks priorities. If anyone ever bought the duck press I would really be worried. :laugh:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

A new SLT opened in Portland recently, right next door to Powell's.

Yes. Which is across the street from my office. Miserable choice to have to make each payday.

Side rant -- Portland still doesn't have a Crate & Barrel. Which is annoying, since they are so much cheaper than SLT and WS and sometimes you need that.

The folks in your office must be giving some good business to the Whole Foods on the next block, too. Great location for work. In Portland, don't forget Kitchen Kaboodle. That was the source for all things kitchen in Portland before all these nouveau places showed up. I haven't been there in a few years, but they always seemed to have a good selection. Seattle and Bellevue now have a Crate and Barrel apiece, so I imagine one will show up in Portland eventually. (After all, Portland has its own Tiffany now. Good lord, what were they thinking? Why Tiffany in Portland in the first place, but to put it in the bottom of a parking garage? It looks awful. Sorry, mini-rant over.)

Hungry Monkey May 2009

Ooh, I just received from Sur La Table an e-mailed, printable coupon for 20 percent off any one item in the store (in-store, in-stock only), good until August 24, "one coupon per customer visit"! Of course my brain gears are already going, trying to decide which item on my wish list to buy.

I guess you have to be on their e-mail list to receive this coupon. Perhaps it's not too late for those who haven't already done so, to sign up on their website, surlatable.com, and still receive the coupon, although I am not sure.

Edited by browniebaker (log)

I first knew SLT in San Francisco and thought it was a kicky local product. Now that there's one in Portland, I try to make a point of stopping in every drive I take to our great metropolis. They do a great job (I love the Staub products)! For KNorthrup (whose rantlet was on the lack of a Crate & Barrel in Portland) and other Portlanders, I just saw this story that says Crate & Barrel has finalized their new Portland location in Southwest, opening fall of 2004 (Portland Sur La Table)

I live in the SF Bay Area & like going to SLT in SF or in Berkeley on 4th Street to troll & get ideas & maybe the odd small tool. When I am out to but something in the pot/stock pot/skillet family, I go to East Bay Restaurant Supply in Oakland -- on Embarcadero, I think. It is huge & you could outfit a restaurant -- new and used. I've bought All-Clad Professional there at very good prices and they have less dainty sizes that might be found at Williams Sonomsa or SLT.

I also have dragged by wife & child to the Le Creuset outlet in Vacaville...

Charley Martel

I first knew SLT in San Francisco and thought it was a kicky local product. Now that there's one in Portland, I try to make a point of stopping in every drive I take to our great metropolis. They do a great job (I love the Staub products)! For KNorthrup (whose rantlet was on the lack of a Crate & Barrel in Portland) and other Portlanders, I just saw this story that says Crate & Barrel has finalized their new Portland location in Southwest, opening  fall of 2004 (Portland Sur La Table)

That was in the weekend paper too, yes. Unfortunately, it will be in BFE suburbia for some reason but nevertheless worth the trip. Staub is wonderful stuff.