• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen and Cooking Footwear/Shoes

schaem

I never found clogs practical while working in professional kitchens because I always feared I'd lose one while running up and down the stairs all day carrying heavy (and sometimes very hot) loads. For me, Birkenstocks -- never! While kind to the arches and posture, I need all over support. Danskos are fine for those confined to smallish spaces -- the line during service, for instance.

The most comfortable, skidproof shoes I ever owned were purchased at a doctor/nurse uniform store. They were black, ugly as hell, expensive and durable. I wore them for 5 years. You have to figure, if they are good enough for an RN in an emergency room, they should be good enough for a kitchen worker.

Money should really not be a concern when buying work shoes. There is so much at stake with our backs, necks, potential falls. Two visits to the chiropractor equals one pair of really good shoes.

As for wearing flip-flops, I gave that up after I broke my big toe because I was wearing them, and I was in the confines of my apartment.

I've never found a pair of clogs that was remotely shaped like my feet.

I loved Danskos... briefly. I have wide,very flat feet with a high instep. I loved the support and the extra height Danskos gave... BUT in no time at all my feet streched them out of shape so badly they slipped and slid and caused strange callouses. I have switched to waterproof Merrills. They have better traction and give great arch and heel support.

I've never found a pair of clogs that was remotely shaped like my feet.

I loved Danskos... briefly. I have wide,very flat feet with a high instep. I loved the support and the extra height Danskos gave... BUT in no time at all my feet streched them out of shape so badly they slipped and slid and caused strange callouses. I have switched to waterproof Merrills. They have better traction and give great arch and heel support.

I have a pair of Merrills that I wear in the winter, alternating with a pair of Blundstone "Tug" shoes that are also extremely comfortable. Tug shoes

Occasionally I go through an episode of ankle swelling and I have a pair of Caterpillar high tops, style Mystifi, (I think) that are very comfortable and keep my ankles from ballooning. They are made to look sort of like wrestling boots and the soles are not as thick as the others so they are not good for extended standing, but for a change-off from my regular shoes, they are great.

Mystify by Caterpillar

(I can't stand to wear the stockings, I invariably end up tearing them off after an hour or so because they make my legs itch.)

And for those looking for extra wide shoes the Skidbusters come in extra wide and sizes up to 14. One of the guys in my diabetes support group is a Samoan (very large) who wears a 13 xtra wide in the oxford style. His doctor approved of these.

skidbuster shoes

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Hi all, 1st post, long-time lurker, I have several question about workplace footwear. Concerning the Calzuros... being vinyl - what about feet sweating, even w/ those holes? And has anyone tried the Sanita brand featured in Chefwear? My main fear at work are the slick floors so of the Dansko and Birks - which are better tractionwise?

My main fear at work are the slick floors so of the Dansko and Birks - which are better tractionwise?

I have always found Dansko to be far superior. IMHO :biggrin:

Tobin

It is all about respect; for the ingredient, for the process, for each other, for the profession.

I ordered the euro clog from shoesforcrews - they arrived today. I decided on them b/c they seemed to have the best (IMHO) slip-resistant sole and can't overlook the price compared to Dansko or Sanita. They are an attractive shoe but I think they're gonna need a little breaking-in time. I'll let ya know how they do.

I've got birks and they're comfortable enough, get me thru 12 hours...But,put oil or anything on the floor and I'm on my ass.

I'm 5'10 and the danskos make me feel too tall. Nike Air needs to make shoe for us.

Hey, I've got an even better idea! How about you get a smaller spoon? The other one actually, kind of hurts. But, hey! It hurts in a GOOD kind of way.

Anyone familiar with the Modellista brand of clogs? They are similar in style to the Dansko and Euro-clogs, but less expensive. I'm just wondering if they run true to size? I normally wear a Euro size 44, but in Dansko, I have to go to the 45. Any help on these? Thanks!

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

Do the danskos mark up linoleum floors? Some of my black soled shoes leave marks and others don't. I need a new pair of fall shoes, and I would love to have something I can stand in all day and cook in the kitchen. I messed up my lower back when I fell off a horse onto a tree stump. I want to make sure my back doesn't get any worse with age.

it just makes me want to sit down and eat a bag of sugar chased down by a bag of flour.

Okbrewer, I have a pair of Modellistas that I love. I find them more comfortable than the Danskos due to the cushiony insole. Not sure what to recommend re: sizing. In American sizing I wear size 7.5, and my Modellistas and Danskos are both size 38. Be sure to check out Sierra Trading Post online for good deals--sometimes they have Modellistas for as little as $15!

I have multiple pairs of Modellistas, and find the sizing really varies from style to style. For open backs, they do run fairly true to size. The closed back ones, though, all depends. The raindrop style (little cutout pattern on top) seems a bit tighter than the regular solid material style.

What do you mean I shouldn't feed the baby sushi?

Thanks for the info on the Modellistas. They appear to be comfortable, I have seen them only on the 'net, with the Tempupedic cushioning I would expect them to be very comfortable. I went ahead and ordered a pair, they should arrive this week so I will relate how they fit. I purchased them from a vendor on ebay for $32 + shipping. I'll let you know what I think about them!

Bob R in OKC

For all of my fellow hobbitses - check this link - it certainly improved my life:

Hitchcock Wide Shoes for Men

(Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in this company. I simply have lots of their shoes because I can't find such a selection of 4E-6E sizes anywhere else.)

New Balance also makes a # of styles in 6E. You can find them at places other than Hitchcock, sometimes for less $$, if you look around.

Edited by ghostrider (log)

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Received the Modellistas yesterday. They are very comfortable, the Tempurpedic insole is cushiony-soft yet supportive, and the sole is sturdy but has a spring to it. They do, however, seem to run a bit on the large size. I wear a 10.5 normally, and since these don't seem to run in half sizes, I got the 11. I can wear these, but I probably should have gotten the 10. Though the Modellista name might suggest otherwise, these are not European made, and don't use Euro sizing. The company is actually a Boston area company. I purchased the Professional model which has the smooth black leather that can be cleaned easily. The toe box area fits me fine, but the heel area is rather boxy and wide. Perhaps a heel cup/cushion will be all that is needed to make thes fit better. Regardless, at $36 not a bad buy.

Bob R in OKC

The "James" is what I got. Where did you buy yours? My thinking exactly on the sizing, since I wear a 10.5 I went with the 11, but it seems a bit big. Lemme know how yours fit!

Bob R in OKC

• 8 months later...

Besides Mario Batalli's ability to be at the forefront of the culinary world, is it possible those airated orange clogs that he is synonymous with are about to be New Yorks next Ugg?

I am sitting at my desk today in a pair of the more comfortable shoes i own.. Actually, they are second only to the other pair of the same brand shoes, except these are black and those are bright orange..

I am talking about my Crocs , A foamy airy all purpose shoe, that looks rather space agey. I have recently started seeing them all over Manhattan and have said to myself, these things are ugly enough to be trendy.. After looking at the price tag of 20 bucks, I couldnt resist so i bought two pair. Today is my first day wearing these things and my feet could not be happier.

Thank you Mario!