• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen and Cooking Footwear/Shoes

schaem

dansko. dansko. dansko.

after padding barefoot around the apartment for a few hours, I'll put on a pair of danskos to save my poor betrodden feet. I've got crazy-high arches, and danskos remember the shape of my foot like nuttin' I've ever seen.

Don't cook barefoot! Period. Find something that at least protects your feet from the odd accident of a dropped knife or spilled "HOT PAN!!!" even if you're only cooking in your home kitchen. If you don't already have foot and back troubles (occupational hazzard!) , you will unless you offer your feet and back some support. Trust me..... :shock: Find a clog or sneaker or boot that works for you. I use 2 pairs of clogs...one from "Chef Central" and a pair from "Payless" shoes (that for the $20 price tag....) offer the best and most comfortable support I could imagine! Better than the $60 CC pair in many ways. Like any shoes, you have to shop for comfort and practicality. Just get something on your feet...and hurry! :unsure:

Edited by Pickles (log)

Yet another member of the Dansko chorus. I have been wearing them for years now.

My wife has a problem with a toe that can cause her severe pain. On vacation a year or so ago, she was having problems and we were walking past a shoe store advertising a big sale. She bought a pair of Dansko knock-offs, slipped them on, and the pain went away almost immediately. We bought her several pairs of the real thing right after we got home.

Re: Danskos and wide feet, I have a EEE and they fit wonderfully. The only fit problem I had was with the height (instep?) of one pair of Danskos that I bought over the Web. They're the same size as my others, but fit differently. (I have a high instep = tall feet). I would definitely try some on at a shop. I've also found that ultra web-bargains for Dankos are rare, so buying at a shop doesn't really hurt the wallet any more, either.

Re: Danskos and narrow feet, try the ones with a closed back. Like these

I've tried Birks, Stegmanns, sneakers, hiking boots, barefoot and Tevas. The Danskos are the only ones that leave my feet feeling fine after a long weekend day of hitting the kitchen hard.

Interesting. I've been thinking about orthotics, since the plan at my school covers me up to $150CDN/foot.

I have a few issues with footwear. Clogs I find insanely aggravating, since they tend to fly from my feet at unpredictable intervals. My left foot is a EEE1/2, my right is a EEEE. I have *NO* arches, never have, so anything with any kind of an arch support is absolutely crippling within the first hour.

At present I'm using my ongoing compromise; a pair of cheap canvas flats with a gel insole (modified with a razor blade to remove the arch support). This is not at all ideal, and my knees in particular pay the price...early arthritis was part of the genetic package. I can be on my feet all day, outwalk people half my age, hike in the mountains, but stairs? Bad, bad, bad.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Easy Spirit Walking shoes for me, but I'm going to look into those Danskos!

But the most important thing for me when I am going to be doing marathon time in the kitchen is --support hose. I use the knee-highs, and they truely make a difference. I'm not talking just about the usual daily kitchen meal-making. They are for several hours at a time in a small area.

I just finished some Physical Therapy for a back problem and the therapist suggested a small foot stool to ease the back strain when standing for long periods.

I could not live without my Birki clogs. They are the only footwear I own. I used to have serious back and debilitating migraines, then bought my first pair of Birkenstocks on advise from my neurologist. I have far fewer back problems, and half the number of migraines as before. I have worn other shoes twice -- once dress shoes and once snow boots -- and both times my feet and back hurt like a mofo.

I'm now thinking about buying another pair of birki clogs for spring. I have black now -- should I get blue, red, or green?

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"

I'm now thinking about buying another pair of birki clogs for spring. I have black now -- should I get blue, red, or green?

Cool! Bright colors for spring is a mood brightener as well as watching flowers blooming and trees with buds! :cool:

Red is so "now" ... go for it!! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Extra MSG,

If you're already comfortable barefoot, forgive me if "hawaiian style" flip flops already means this, but I love Teva flip flops, the ones with thick rubber soles that mold to your feet. I learned about them from a chef, 6 feet plus, who had terrible back problems until he started wearing them. They are for me little parties on my soles. They wear out after about 4-6 months, but at $20 a pop, easy to replace, unlike Danskos which I wear out in about the same amount of time.

Emily Kaiser

www.emilykaiser.com

I wear Sven clogs. These are the ones with the compressed rubber base (no wood). They will last for about three years. I have a bad back- no problems in the past ten years from wearing these. Birkinstocks are too wide in the front for me. They clean off easily; I am also a huge fan of backless shoes. I would warn against flip flops- your foot is not very protected if you spill something.

They wear out after about 4-6 months, but at $20 a pop, easy to replace, unlike Danskos which I wear out in about the same amount of time.

I've had mine for a bit more than a year and they show very little wear and tear (even in the heel area, because I often drag my feet and usually wear out that "corner" of every shoe I own). After all the majority of my work is on rubber matting in both the kitchen and behind the bar. Therefore I disagree about the Dansko shoe wearing out in only 4-6 months.

Any footwear recommendations for standing in the kitchen hour after hour?

Is it your feet that hurt, or your back? If it is your back, then I would look into the height of the countertop a the culprit. If you are taller than whatever standard the countertop height was made for, then you need to either make yourself shorter or the countertop taller.

I could not live without my Birki clogs. They are the only footwear I own. I used to have serious back and debilitating migraines, then bought my first pair of Birkenstocks on advise from my neurologist. I have far fewer back problems, and half the number of migraines as before. I have worn other shoes twice -- once dress shoes and once snow boots -- and both times my feet and back hurt like a mofo.

Match your eGullet face... are you a classic blue kind of guy or a red lover? (Tangent... I used to chuckle at that Chicago dog spot... Irving's for red hot lovers.)

What's wrong with peanut butter and mustard? What else is a guy supposed to do when we are out of jelly?

-Dad

But the most important thing for me when I am going to be doing marathon time in the kitchen is --support hose. I use the knee-highs, and they truely make a difference.  I'm not talking just about the usual daily kitchen meal-making.  They are for several hours at a time in a small area.

Hmm. I hear a song coming on:

I'm just a sweet transvestite...

Is it your feet that hurt, or your back? If it is your back, then I would look into the height of the countertop a the culprit. If you are taller than whatever standard the countertop height was made for, then you need to either make yourself shorter or the countertop taller.

It's actually my lower back, but on the side, like right behind my generous love handles. My heels will start to hurt, too, almost like a pinched nerve. When I wear the flip flops it more or less goes away or at least takes a lot longer, so I think it's the standing and walking on a hard surface with bare feet that does it.

Edited by ExtraMSG (log)

It's actually my lower back, but on the side, like right behind my generous love handles.  My heels will start to hurt, too, almost like a pinched nerve.  When I wear the flip flops it more or less goes away or at least takes a lot longer, so I think it's the standing and walking on a hard surface with bare feet that does it.

In that case - yes, the right footwear will certainly make a big difference, especially for your heels; but at the risk of re-stating the obvious (which no doubt you have already heard ad nauseam from your doctor/chiropractor/physical-therapist/well-meaning-friends etc.), the right shoes can only help your back so much and no more, and the rest screams out for stretches and/or some other appropriate exercise to counterbalance the strain. Not easy when you're on the hoof all day, but even taking 30 seconds every hour or so (to bend/stretch in whichever direction releases those muscles) can provide enormous relief.

How are the Dansko's on width? I have super-wide feet (7 1/2 EEEEE or 8 EEEE).

I think it will be a problem. I wear EEE width but my left foot is nearly a 1/2 size larger than my right. On shoes with a soft and stretchy leather I can generally get EEE in 10.5 or 11 and it works. I bought some Dansko's in black at Shoemania (Union Square - best place around to shop for non-traditional shoes). They're either a 43 or 44 and feel great for awhile, especially for extended standing in limited areas, but if do extensive walking in them it becomes an issue. I was in NYC last weekend to spend some time with.... "mystery woman". She walks A LOT... I really enjoyed that aspect of our wekeend but Sunday mornign my dogs were killing me - I ended up with a blister on the left foot right where the toe meets the outer edge of the shoe. I looked at their web site and didn't see any width options. Hard to believe that European feet come only in one width. Perhaps they just don't sell the same variety of sizes here in the US?

Birks, birks, birks... I finally found these after years in the kitchen, and they saved my life. When you stand in them for the first time, all the bones in your body, and your hips gently fall into correct position. Various pairs got me through kitchens, and running (literally!) 12 hour events on concrete floors. Can't do clogs, though... I seem to walk right out of them! Really embarassing...

Sorry, I don't know... you say your'e barefoot, so I assume you're at home? I wear birk sandals (keeps that barefoot feeling) at home. You may also want to try investing in thick, commercial rubber mats for the areas where you stand. Those, and Birks work magic together.

The other thing is...why don't you sit down? There were many times in a commercial kitchen when we sat during prep work (peeling, doing detail work, etc.). Nothing like taking the weight off to give your legs and back a break. I have a stool in my kitchen now, and for those mindless tasks I have a perch and roll and stretch my feet while I relax. Sometimes, I take the bowl of beans, or whatever out to the porch and set a spell while I work.

Edited by lala (log)

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

I have always worn some type of clog in the kitchen at work. No matter how many hours I do, the one thing that doesn't hurt at the end of the shift is my feet. I'm wearing Sika's right now. All rubber soles, and flexi, so they bend. I can't do the birkie's. The way they sort of come up on the sides just kill my wittle toes! I'd love to try those calzuros. Anyone know if they are available in Canada?

Here's my two cents.

I also have wide feet, I pronate badly and I tend toward lower back problems. I wear Danskos, both the clog style and the newer, more "fashionable" (a term loosely applied here :cool: ) loafer styles for everyday. I avoid cooking and doing housework in my bare or slipper feet, because I usually have more leg/back pain if I do.

I've found that my running shoes--good quality, not cheapo--work best for cooking, followed closely by my Dansko clogs. I think the athletic shoes work best because of the extra cushioning, which the clogs don't have. I have found that Brooks and Asics to work well, but I've had my feet and gait evaluated by a Physical Therapist and a Podiatrist and they helped me with shoe selection.

It boils down to trying on lots of pairs of shoes and finding what works for you. It's very individual. Good luck at finding comfort in the kitchen!

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

'nother vote for Dansko. Fwiw, the box leather is supposedly a better choice than the oiled for serious kitchen work (less absorbent of kitchen goop). Mr Agnolotti's experience seems to be bearing this out so far. He trashed a pair of oiled clogs at work--his new box ones seem to be holding up better.

This medical-supply place may also be worth checking out:

http://www.allheart.com/nursematesshoes.html

They appear to have plastic versions for men and women starting at about $11.00, as well as the Calzuros for $55.00.

agnolottigirl

~~~~~~~~~~~

"They eat the dainty food of famous chefs with the same pleasure with which they devour gross peasant dishes, mostly composed of garlic and tomatoes, or fisherman's octopus and shrimps, fried in heavily scented olive oil on a little deserted beach."-- Luigi Barzini, The Italians