• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen and Cooking Footwear/Shoes

schaem

Having made the leap from wooden clogs (bad back, shooting pains in the calves) to Naots (much better) and having worn those out, I'm looking for a new pair of shoes. Anyone wear Bragard? I like their other stuff. I like my Naots but find their appearence a little clunky. I do spend some time out of the back now so appearence is a little relevant (though i'm not about to switch to Jean-Georges fave -- Prada).

I guess this isn't really a "General Food Topic" but I figure there are enough people here who might have some insight.

After 20+ years of working on a concrete floor my feet started complaining - really complaining. After four or five hours, they would say, ENOUGH!

I went to a good shoe store and told them what was up and they introduced me to a number of lines of footware made just for this problem. Bought a pair of Wolverines and things have been going fine since.

Clogs that don't use wood but compressed rubber are my favorite (and I have a bad back too). Sven makes and Sika too. They are much more cushioning (my nurse friends use them too). You can get them with or without a back. The plastic Birkinstock shoes are very popular in our kitchen with the men. I find them too wide in the toes (and they have backs- I hate sweaty feet.). The plus for them is that you can run them through the dishwasher.

Everyone's feet,and posture are different-super birkis have worked for me,for the past 7 years;no foot problems to speak of,they're cheap,and last a long time-you can replace the insoles.Blundstone.an Australian company,makes a comfortable,good looking slip on boot that is waterproof-also good for street wear,but can get a little sweaty in the kitchen.

all kidding aside...if it looks like were gonna have a busy night or if we come back from a job and dinner is delayed..Ill keep the bunker pants on and demon cook while still in them...guess I shoulda oughta explained that before.

Otherwise the six in boots are quite safe and comfy...we dont tie our shoes to facilitate slipping them off quickly and stepping into the fire boots or bunker pants.

• 8 months later...

I have a pair of Ecco shoes for my job and school, but these aren't cutting it. Does anyone have a place you can get good chef shoes? I like the clogs, but would rather have something that can't slip off my feet. I am always on the go anyways. Any websites would be neat too, but I have a thing about wanting to try on shoes first before I had over my debit card. Does anyone use inserts too? If so, which kind (specifically)

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics

Pastrylady,

I have spent the last 15 years on my feet (as I assume have sinclair, steve klc, michael, tan, etc...) I like the look and durability of clogs, but they have never served their purpose. Working in places with stair cases, wet floors, etc... they just dont stay on your feet. I do however stand behind BIRKENSTOCK'S Professional birkies (google birkenstock). They are washable and pretty durable, almost like wearing slippers.

My best reccomendation goes to Kingston McKnight (www.kmshoes.com), the shoes look like slip clogs, come with 2 different inserts and they have the strength and support of a great kitchen/ work shoe.

Edited by bripastryguy (log)

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

My wife is a physician and spends days on her feet as well. She swears by the Dansko clogs that have a back and are essentially slip-in shoes (they have the orthotic footbed).

We have gotten good service from shoescentral.net (or their affiliated site clogscentral.com). They have lots of comfort-based footwear, not just clogs. Because their site doesn't seem incredibly on-line buying friendly, we usually select the type of shoe, call their store in Portland to talk to a real person, and then have them shipped.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

as with any other discussion, it comes down to individual preference. your feet are different from anyone else's. i have wide feet and thus like the birki professional clog. it is loose, but doesn't come off. the inserts are replaceable (which you'll need to do every 6 months or so for support) and not too expensive $19.95. the shoe iteself is virtually indestructible and costs about $75.

i used to use dansko clogs but the leather is more difficult to keep clean than plastic. also, if your toenails are even slightly too long, your feet slide forward in clogs and the pressure can be unbearable. i have heard that people with high arches prefer clogs.

there are a lot of copies of the birki clog out there that i'm sure have different pros and cons.

unfortunately, i don't know of a store that sells only to chefs (besides chef-wear, and they only sell their own products). so trying them on before buying may be a little difficult. you'll be limited to birks, dansko and ecco type shoes.

slbunge has the right idea. You should check out your local nursing uniform shop or wilderness stores and try on different styles and then search websites and catalogs for better deals.

I have Klogs brand clogs. They are 100% polyurethane, make my feet sweaty, but earn their keep by being comfortable and hoseable after a rough day doing yard work. They have never fallen off of my feet and I wear them with socks.

But I'm not sure Klogs is for you. You may need something with more arch support. Klogs feel like well cushioned house slippers.

When I work in the kitchen, I always wear shoes that I replace the insert with an insert from sorbothane. They are SOOOOO comfortable, but a little expensive. Their website is www.sorbothane.com I always get the blue ones and they last about a year. I have turned a few people onto them, and am always ready to tell anyone who will listen about how great they are. Good Luck!!

PChef

I'd normally be a ditto with everyone elses posts but I hurt my foot a month ago (bad enough to seek medical attention) and got a lecture from the foot doctor.

Personal info: I have a pinched nerve that took me down like I was shot. I was working in the yard (wearing clogs). I'd swear I broke something-but I didn't. Had to see a doctor!

I've lived in clogs my whole life when they weren't fashionable and weren't seen in american kitchens........but the doc. gave me a big lecture on them. Because you use your toes to grip them as you walk they stress your feet. She's very neg. on clogs, thinks birkenstocks are really bad of all of the clog brands. I had bought inserts for my birks (thought that would please her), but there's something about the foot bed that's wrong in them (according to her).

Bottom line to all the lectures. If your feet hurt it's your shoes! Either they don't fit correctly (which most don't) or they aren't good shoes. She insists I wear a good pair of gym shoes as work shoes (plus I need custom foot beds for my arches). Those hugely ugly nerdie shoes that old people wear are my other choice (I'll pass)....I'll wear running shoes instead.

Take the foot bed out of your shoe and study it. If you don't see clear impressions for each one of your toes, your shoes are too narrow. I have wide feet and everyone one of my shoe beds have my big toe and my pinky only leaving 1/2 a toes worth of impression. So I'm suposed to take my foot bed from an older shoe with me when I buy new shoes. If the old bed doesn't fit into the new shoe loosely I'm not even trying them on my feet.

HTH but if your like me, you'll still wear your clogs (I can't part with mine), but I don't wear them for long periods any more.

Any websites would be neat too, but I have a thing about wanting to try on shoes first before I had over my debit card.

I don't have anything to say about shoes, but please be extremely cautious about using your debit card online. You don't have the same protections as with a credit card. I use my debit card constantly when I shop, but never online.

Some folks just can't wear Birkenstocks; I am one of them. Never tried the clog styles, but the sandals just killed my feet. Since they come in whole sizes, and their cork footbeds are shaped to fit a "normal" whole size foot, those of us with odd-shaped/half-size/sensitive feet just can't bear the discomfort. I do have a pair of the Dansko clogs with backs, and I love them. I can't walk long distances in them, but they are great for standing for long stretches at a time, and they even have good traction. I wore them all winter, slogged through the umpteen feet of snow, even shoveled in them, and they held me up securely through it all.

Kathy

Minxeats
http://www.foodloversguidetobaltimore.com/'>Food Lovers' Guide to Baltimore

I got the Dansko clogs with backs for school, and though I was a little worried foot bed was a little hard, the arch support has been excellent. I don't have to walk very far in them, but I don't feel like they are going to fall off my feet like a backless clog might. I have narrow feet and a high arch, so Birkenstocks were just out of the question. My only issue with the Danskos now is traction - they do fine on wet surfaces, but a bit of flour on the floor (I'm in pastry school) is like walking on ice. Anybody else had this problem?

Oh, and I recommend getting shoes with a glossy rather than matte finish. I liked the look of the non-glossy ones in the store, but they are much harder to keep clean.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Calzuros. i'm an anesthesiologist and on my feet all the time. I've been wearing them for years to good effect. Another nice thing about them is that they are washable - in fact autoclavable. I recently saw an add for them in a food magazine. Mario Battali was wearing them.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

:biggrin: Finally we have power again!!! Got it this morning and unfortunately, so did my bakery I work at. We had to throw away so much product it killed me! So much hard work, right in the trash.... 90 degree heat and no power for almost two days = bad product everwhere. My feet are killing me today! Worked for 9 hours just filling all the orders, morning stuff and we had two wedding cakes and sheet cakes that they wanted Martha Stewart-ized. Don't get me started on her. Husband works for Kmarche too, so I get double dose of her... :wacko:

Anyways I wanted to thank you all for your advice on the shoes, I definately need to get new ones. My husband looked at me when I got home and said I needed a nap and I said no, it is just the shoes. Feet hurt. Hobbling around like I stopped on my childhood banana bike with no shoes going 40mph or something. My paycheck went in the bank before the power went out, so I will head off to see what they have. BTW, I never use debit card via the Internet, sorry for the mis-typing. I only use credit card, but are we ever totally safe anyways?

So glad I have my computer back. Don't like to watch much tv anymore, so this is my release. Bye all!

Debra Diller

"Sweet dreams are made of this" - Eurithmics