• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen and Cooking Footwear/Shoes

schaem

Ive got rather large feet (size 15 american, 48 Euro ) and Ive been havin a hard time findin comfortable kitchen shoes that are nonskid, durable, and safe.  I used to wear boots but they were killing my knees, and now I wear crocs, which I LOVE, but they dont make them in my size without holes.  Also the tred wears out after 3 months to the point where its a slip n slide in the kitchen.  I was told to check Sanita's but they only go to 14, and I looked at Dankso and they do make a size 48, but from what Ive been told is that they run a size small.  Does anyone, especially if you have large feet, have any suggestions on 1.) the best kitchen shoes in your opinion, and 2.) where do I find large size reliable shoes.

I've got the same problem sir, gun boats for feet. Add on top of that tarcel coalition and that's one helluva good time working the line! :rolleyes:

Anyway, like you, I've had a time trying to find 15s. I've tried Birkis, but they killed my feet. I've tried several diferent SFC styles, but they all wore out quickly. Crocs are fine, but as you said, they wear out after a couple of months.

Right now, I'm wearing a pair of Sketchers "comfort" steel toe work boots with SFC inserts in them. Yeah, they're big and bulky, but I need the ankle support, and by God, they're comfortable, even at the end of the night.

Gear nerd and hash slinger

I love my crocs( endevour, no holes) but was just told I can't wear them at work anymore.  We have to wear shoes with a closed back.

Pisses me off, because my crocs are so comfortable.  I just dont know what to wear now.

Crocs is coming out with a new style called "Alice". They look like mary janes, so they have a closed back and no holes. However, because they're styled just like mary janes, they don't have full coverage for the top of your foot.

Ive got rather large feet (size 15 american, 48 Euro ) and Ive been havin a hard time findin comfortable kitchen shoes that are nonskid, durable, and safe.  I used to wear boots but they were killing my knees, and now I wear crocs, which I LOVE, but they dont make them in my size without holes.  Also the tred wears out after 3 months to the point where its a slip n slide in the kitchen.  I was told to check Sanita's but they only go to 14, and I looked at Dankso and they do make a size 48, but from what Ive been told is that they run a size small.  Does anyone, especially if you have large feet, have any suggestions on 1.) the best kitchen shoes in your opinion, and 2.) where do I find large size reliable shoes.

I'm a fan of Birkis. They are easy on my feet. There are two models, one with no heel/lift (profi) and one with a slight heel/lift (super). Also, the shoes tend to run a little larger than sized. I normally wear a 43, and that's what I first bought, but after wearing them for a while figured out they were too big. So I bought a size 42 and they're perfect. I found the best price anywhere here.

fyi, there is a new crocs model coming out called the bistro. mario batali apparently had some input on the shoe. info:

"Batali is especially fond of the new Bistro shoe because it offers high comfort to workers in the restaurant and food service industry, while it is specially designed to meet workplace standards with a closed heel. In addition to its special slip-resistant design, the shoe also features a thicker metatarsal area to help protect the top of the foot, as well as a supportive arch and foot bed circulation nubs to ensure all-day comfort. The exclusive Croslite™ material conforms to the foot creating a custom fit and the added looseness allows the foot to bend and expand naturally to reduce fatigue. All of the new models are odor- and bacteria-resistant and can be simply sterilized in clean water and bleach."

they'll be available late summer 2007. if you want, you can see it here: pdf warning.

fyi, there is a new crocs model coming out called the bistro. mario batali apparently had some input on the shoe. info:

"Batali is especially fond of the new Bistro shoe because it offers high comfort to workers in the restaurant and food service industry, while it is specially designed to meet workplace standards with a closed heel. In addition to its special slip-resistant design, the shoe also features a thicker metatarsal area to help protect the top of the foot, as well as a supportive arch and foot bed circulation nubs to ensure all-day comfort. The exclusive Croslite™ material conforms to the foot creating a custom fit and the added looseness allows the foot to bend and expand naturally to reduce fatigue. All of the new models are odor- and bacteria-resistant and can be simply sterilized in clean water and bleach."

they'll be available late summer 2007. if you want, you can see it here: pdf warning.

I can't wear these at work because they don't have a closed back.

I can't wear these at work because they don't have a closed back.

Open the PDF file (link above) and look at the diagram. On the left it states "enclosed heel meets workplace standards"

Try Kingston McKnight Shoes. They are made in USA, specifically for the food service industry, and yes, they also make clogs. Although they cost a little bit more, KM shoes are much better quality than Shoes For Crews, which are made in China. :cool:

Buttercup: You mock my pain.

Man in Black: Life is pain, Highness. Anyone who says differently is selling something.

-- The Princess Bride

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy -- Red Green

I just ordered some Sanitas. Like dansko but they had my size in the open back clog which i prefer, so I went with them instead of the closed heal on the dansko's

"Its never to late to be what you might have been" - George Elliot

• 4 months later...

I have found that if I am just standing and doing chocolate work the Danskos are great for me (unless I need to trim my toenails--TMI?), unfortunately I have rolled my ankles turning corners or even stepping off of my workmat, any suggestion for an alternative woman's shoe?

Does Dansko make a chef's shoe that doesn't have a tapered heel?

• 7 months later...

I've been working in kitchens off and on for the better part of two decades and have gone through many pairs of boots, shoes, and clogs. However, I've never found that perfect pair that offers comfort, slip resistance, ease of cleaning, etc... Here are some I've tried and some notes. What footwear do you wear? why?

These are some, but not all that I've worn:

Doc Martens - fashionable when I was in high school, they seemed like good work boots. WRONG. They were uncomfortable in the kitchen and the water/scum on the floor ate through them like acid.

Sketchers - I've had a few pairs of these some that I loved and some not so much. The boots were comfy but took a long time to break in and the laces caught lots of food. The slip on work shoes I didn't much care for.

Ecco Shoes - these were in the back of my closet one day and I put them on and went to work. Very broken in after a backpacking trip through Europe, but they weren't kitchen shoes. I loved the idea of them though. Very comfy.

Dansko - Hated them. My feet are too big and too wide. I've tried them twice and no way Jose. Many chefs wear these but In my experience the women like them more than the men.

Berkies - comfy, non slip, but one problem arose. They stunk! I mean I had to take them off, seal them in a trash bag and throw them in my trunk. Disgusting. My feet don't stink and the inside of the shoe didn't stink, it was the outside rubber that just smelled like a thousand asses. Apart from this, no big disappointment as far as I recall.

Crocs - these are what I currently wear. I seem to skip the toe on the ground sometimes and sort of stumble. They're light and comfortable but don't have much support. Also, they're not that good on greasy, slippery floors. I like them alright though.

I think that's about it. I've seen a pair of shoes here that look good, they're Seattle Chef Shoes anybody tried them?

http://www.bragardusa.com/Seattle-Chef-Shoes-p/5621-4867.htm

Keep the thoughts flowing....

Berkies - comfy, non slip, but one problem arose. They stunk! I mean I had to take them off, seal them in a trash bag and throw them in my trunk. Disgusting. My feet don't stink and the inside of the shoe didn't stink, it was the outside rubber that just smelled like a thousand asses. Apart from this, no big disappointment as far as I recall.

thats why you hose them off, they wont rot or mold. Hell, run them through the dishwasher. They are pretty near indestructible, to me at least.

Edited by Wesley1 (log)

I swear by Blundstones.

Medium high top, pull on (no laces) and sturdy, comfy and safe. Durable as hell, too. These take well to hosing off after shift, as they have no seams to leak or rot.

-- Matt.

The best I've found over the 25 years in the kitchen has been a pair of "officer's type" all leather shoe, made by a local shoe company (Dayton's)

For the record, I wear orthotic inserts and need a very stable shoe. Clog types are out because they have no heel cup, and besides I don't care for clogs at all.

Man-made materials are out, because I'm in the shoes a good 12-14 hours, and my feet would just sweat in man-made, causing all sorts of problems...

Berkies - comfy, non slip, but one problem arose.  They stunk!  I mean I had to take them off, seal them in a trash bag and throw them in my trunk.  Disgusting.  My feet don't stink and the inside of the shoe didn't stink, it was the outside rubber that just smelled like a thousand asses.  Apart from this, no big disappointment as far as I recall.

thats why you hose them off, they wont rot or mold. Hell, run them through the dishwasher. They are pretty near indestructible, to me at least.

I used to put my berkies in the dishwasher (even the one at work), wash them by hand, hose them off, beg them to please stop stinking so bad but nope, they stunk. Bad.

I am not a chef, but I play one at home, and I wear CrocsRx Clouds (not "custom" Clouds). They're only available online or through podiatrist/therapist offices. Softer footbed, better stability, money well spent for someone with bad knees and worse back...

There's also the Crocs Bistro line, which is specifically made for foodservice.

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Berkies - comfy, non slip, but one problem arose.  They stunk!  I mean I had to take them off, seal them in a trash bag and throw them in my trunk.  Disgusting.  My feet don't stink and the inside of the shoe didn't stink, it was the outside rubber that just smelled like a thousand asses.  Apart from this, no big disappointment as far as I recall.

I used to put my berkies in the dishwasher (even the one at work), wash them by hand, hose them off, beg them to please stop stinking so bad but nope, they stunk. Bad.

one of the real perks of Crocs. They don't stink.

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just being thankful for this thread today. Yesterday, after one month in the kitchen, I blew out my hiking boots. The scary part is that I put literally thousands of miles on my hiking books and they last years. Then I wear them in a kitchen for one month and bam!

I'll be re-reading this thread for ideas on my next purchase.

I am not a chef, but I play one at home, and I wear CrocsRx Clouds (not "custom" Clouds).  They're only available online or through podiatrist/therapist offices.  Softer footbed, better stability, money well spent for someone with bad knees and worse back...

There's also the Crocs Bistro line, which is specifically made for foodservice.

I wear the Bistro( black). I really love them!!

I wear the same Saucony Trigon Rides at work that I wear for running. Not the same pair, but the same shoes. Cool, light and cushy. Yes, I do realize what would happen if I spill hot liquid on them and I don't particularly recommend it to anybody else. I realize if I ever work in somebody else's kitchen that I will probably have to give them up but until that day comes I'll take my chances. I can't see how they would be any less safe than crocs though.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

• 3 months later...

i am an chef, with flat feet. i had problem with my feet since when i was a kid.

i wear crocs as normal kitchen shoes were killing me.

i got the new mario batali crocs as they have that antislip material, but my feet are killing me when i am done for the day (or night). my old normal crocs were better i think, but they are not that steady on wet surfaces.

is there anything i can do for this?

like some soles or something?

I'm no fan of crocs--they're awful on my feet. Get a pair of Dansko clogs (or any Dansko shoe, for that matter). I walked 10-15 miles a day thru Italy for 2 weeks, and my plantar fasciitis didn't even twinge. Worth every stinkin' penny you pay for 'em. Dansko feel odd at first, but your feet will quickly adapt and like nurses, cooks, etc, you'll never go back.