• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Rice Noodles

I have the pasta making plates for the KitchenAid stand mixer on order from Amazon. As I was eating Pad Thai and Drunken Noodles at my local Thai restaurant last night, I realized that I could probably use the device to make rice noodles as well, but I know nothing about how they are made.

I am dreaming of all sorts of noodle stir-frys and soups.

Does anyone have a simple recipe for rice noodles (are there variations)?

Can these be made using a pasta maker like this?

Bill Russell

bilrus,

It's pretty much one cup of well sifted (3-4 times) rice flour to one cup water. You can sift in a teaspoon of salt if you like. Mix well and that's your dough. Of course there are variations but this would be the most basic. Just try it and let us know how it goes.

:smile:

Here's a link to a "chee cheong fun" recipe. It's similar to kuay teow and hor fun, but is usually sold in long rolls and hence its name "chee cheong fun" which means pig intestine noodles.

You don't need a pasta maker for it though. Just make the batter following the recipe, pour a thin layer of batter onto a flat baking sheet and steam.

• 4 weeks later...

howdy everyone. Not to take the topic too off-topic, but, do any of you rice-noodle lovers have a good recipe for seafood hor fun? The noodles and seafood bit are obviously just what they are, but I'd love to replicate the yummy sauce/gravy ... the ones I like are usually lightly coloured but strongly flavoured, and thickened a bit with, i presume, cornflour/cornstarch. All the recipes I've googled for don't really seem right.

thanks to anyone with any information/kanga