• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

UK's running out of beer

ctgm

As we have been experiencing temperatures higher than normal here in the UK, beer consumption has grown by 40% and beer supplies are running out. Carlsberg have had to ship lots in from Scandanavia......

You have my sincerest condolences. I suggest, to stretch your beer, alternate between beer and other wunnerful drinks like gin and tonics or whiskey sodas. Alternately, when serving to your friends, bring their third beer to them with the contents of 2 benadryls dumped into the beer... coma cocktails!

edited to remove overlarge run of emoticons

Edited by jsolomon (log)

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

What's next?  The seas turning red? Swarms of locusts??

Worse, increased imports of Budweiser, Milwaukee's Best, and Old Style under Dubya's new economic action plan: NABBTA, the North Atlantic Bad Beer Trade Agreement where cheap american corn :biggrin: is exported to Mexico :wink: to be brewed by migrant Canadian brewers :blink: and shipped in tramp steamers to Ireland, Scotland, Great Britain, and donated to France to make up for our bad manners earlier this year regarding the French

/satire

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Perhaps it is time for a 21st century version of "Lend Lease"? It could be called "Hops Help" or some such thing. Microbrewers of America, unite! I would think that the British would be well used to dealing with this sort of heat and knowing how to cope, from their empire experiences in India (which gave birth to India Pale Ale, heavily hopped to handle the long sea voyage) and of course the summertime staple of G&T's, made with really good gin and Schweppes tonic water.

Still, my heart goes out to our friends in the U.K. A terrible situation, that. Reminds me of something W.C. Fields once said about wine - "We lost our corkscrew and were forced to survive on water for several days."

Chin up over there, lads.

What's next?  The seas turning red? Swarms of locusts??

Worse, increased imports of Budweiser, Milwaukee's Best, and Old Style under Dubya's new economic action plan: NABBTA, the North Atlantic Bad Beer Trade Agreement.

Hey man, there's nothing wrong with Old Style!

:wink:

Noise is music. All else is food.

NABBTA, the North Atlantic Bad Beer Trade Agreement where cheap american corn  :biggrin:  is exported to Mexico  :wink:  to be brewed by migrant Canadian brewers  /satire

Doesn't it work pretty much this way already?

Arthur Johnson, aka "fresco"