• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1960s Port

ctgm

Had over 3 nights

Taylors 1960

Quite brown at the edges. Really beginning to show its age, with the bulk of fruit and acidity having faded. Still a nice and easy port to drink but should have been drunk some time ago.

Grahams 1966

Much more youthful than the Taylors 1960 - still retains a good colour and the nose has much more fruit. However if being over critical, it was a little spirity. Still has excellent length and fruit. Should still be OK for a few more years although I feel that the fruit might begin to tail off.

Taylors 1966

The best of the 3. Still very youthful and should still drink for quite a while yet (longer than the Grahams). Still fat and full with very well balanced fruit/acidity. To me almost perfect although it doesn’t have the vigour and vivacity of the 1970/77 but a truly wonderful port.

Had some 63 Cockburns not so long ago and really didn't like it. Tasted of boiled sweets (pear drops to be exact).

Also had some Taylor's 63 but I think that the bottles had been stored badly as it was astingent and devoid of juicy fruit.

Tried some 63 sandemans not too long ago. Made a tiny batch of ice cream out of some of it. Probably not too smart but I have always wanted to try it. Interesting sweet/savory balance it lends to being frozen without being cooked. It was a very good bargain from the 63 vintage. I highly recommend the pairing.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com