• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Q&A -- Menu Planning

JAZ, I see that you have recommended Culinary Artistry as a good book to learn more on the subject. What's your opinion of The Elements of Taste by Peter Gray?

PS Great eGCI course-thanks!

I have mixed feelings about it. I think the authors' (Peter Kaminsky and Gray Kunz) idea is a good one, but I don't think they deliver on their promise, for a couple of reasons. First, I like precision in language (the result of a philosophy degree) and they play fast and loose with the terms they use, confusing, for example, textures and flavors. Second, although the recipes sound good, they're very complicated, so it takes a great deal of time and effort to be able to follow along with their "experiments."

On the other hand, at least it's a way to start thinking about the taste and textural components of food, which is valuable.

Thanks, JAZ. It got mixed reviews in the press. I've picked it up a few times, but never bought it. Something about it doesn't quite appeal, I can't remember what.

You really should publish a book on the subject. I looked through a bunch of my cookbooks this morning; there is little to nothing on menu planning in most of them. At best there are suggestions for a few menus, or a "serve with...," but it's amazing how few cookbooks even make recommendations for that anymore.

I have mixed feelings about it. I think the authors' (Peter Kaminsky and Gray Kunz) idea is a good one, but I don't think they deliver on their promise, for a couple of reasons. First, I like precision in language (the result of a philosophy degree) and they play fast and loose with the terms they use, confusing, for example, textures and flavors. Second, although the recipes sound good, they're very complicated, so it takes a great deal of time and effort to be able to follow along with their "experiments."

On the other hand, at least it's a way to start thinking about the taste and textural components of food, which is valuable.

I had mixed feelings about Elements also - the playing field is not level.

Gray Kunz opened L'Espinasse. (Peter Kaminsky is a writer)

I understand the content of Elements in relation to his food. Could I apply it to my culinary undertakings. Not in a million years.