Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

munga

Chili

Recommended Posts

Is there such a thing as a chili burrito? I made one last night for dinner: regular American chili, rice, avocado, raw onion, pickled jalapenos, shredded cheddar. It was a little sloppy, so next time I'd probably up the rice, but man: tasty. Is this a common dish somewhere in the country? What about chili tacos?

Thinking: chili dog burrito


"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Is there such a thing as a chili burrito?

Okay, I've clearly been living under a rock. Chili burritos are everywhere, according to google. I guess my question about origins still holds. Texas?


"Tis no man. Tis a remorseless eating machine."

-Captain McAllister of The Frying Dutchmen, on Homer Simpson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find that Chipotle Chile powder works well if I don't have a little can. And since I end up throwing out 97 percent of every can I open it makes more sense. If I need extra smokiness I might add just a touch of smoked paprika when using the Chipotle powder but only a touch, so as not to interfere with the flavor of the Chipotle.

 

As for hot sauce I don't typically add it to chile/ chili but I am now a convert to Crystal for a variety of other things. I went on a field trip to Smart & Final with my husband, who buys all his King Arthur flours there and they sell it, so I tried it. Love the vinegar style of hot sauce, but some I've tried are too hot. Crystal is relatively mild (I like that, too) and with only three ingredients the flavor is very pure. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OH....MY...GOODNESS.........

even though it includes beans this is probably one of the best chillis I have ever eaten.

 

Need to thin a bit with some water or beer.  Johnnybird would like it a bit sweeter(cinnamon a la Cincinnati). But this is a tweakable recipe.  I will let it sit overnight then take a jar to my butcher so he can taste it and let me know what he likes/doesn't like about it.  I can't wait till tomorrow so I can heart it up then make one of my favorite things from my time in Texarkana.....frito pie.  Will pour over some fritos then add some chopped green onion, Cholula chili lime and some grated cheese.

  • Like 5

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

 

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

OH....MY...GOODNESS.........

even though it includes beans this is probably one of the best chillis I have ever eaten.

 

Need to thin a bit with some water or beer.  Johnnybird would like it a bit sweeter(cinnamon a la Cincinnati). But this is a tweakable recipe.  I will let it sit overnight then take a jar to my butcher so he can taste it and let me know what he likes/doesn't like about it.  I can't wait till tomorrow so I can heart it up then make one of my favorite things from my time in Texarkana.....frito pie.  Will pour over some fritos then add some chopped green onion, Cholula chili lime and some grated cheese.

 

Frito Pie is a culinary masterpiece. Particularly when they make it at the Frost-T-Top by slitting one side of the bag, putting the bag in a cardboard Frency fry tray, and using the resultant container as a bowl. I'll have mine with cheese, no onions or jalapenos, please.

 

(Before someone chides me: I don't like raw onion; cooked is marvelous. Don't like Jalapenos; they taste too green. Let them get ripe like God intended a pepper to be, and I'm OK with 'em.)

 

  • Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@kayb  I was first introduced to frito pie down  Hooks, Tx and I love it.  It was ubiquitous at the Walmart, rodeo and at the football game.


Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

 

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kayb said:

 

Frito Pie is a culinary masterpiece. Particularly when they make it at the Frost-T-Top by slitting one side of the bag, putting the bag in a cardboard Frency fry tray, and using the resultant container as a bowl. I'll have mine with cheese, no onions or jalapenos, please.

 

(Before someone chides me: I don't like raw onion; cooked is marvelous. Don't like Jalapenos; they taste too green. Let them get ripe like God intended a pepper to be, and I'm OK with 'em.)

 

Puts me in mind of Jailhouse Tamale Pie.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, OldHobo said:

Puts me in mind of Jailhouse Tamale Pie.

yeah.......not so much.  though interesting...........


Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

 

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2017 at 6:11 PM, OldHobo said:

Puts me in mind of Jailhouse Tamale Pie.

 

<<shudder>>

 

There are jailhouse foods of which I am quite fond (having covered a good bit of court and cops during my newspapering days). To this day, the best pinto beans I ever ate were at the Crittenden County Jail. And I still make jail slaw, and occasionally will have it with fried bologna, on a bun.

 

The prison tamale reminds me of something Paul Newman might have gotten fed during his time in the box.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kayb said:

 

<<shudder>>

 

There are jailhouse foods of which I am quite fond (having covered a good bit of court and cops during my newspapering days). To this day, the best pinto beans I ever ate were at the Crittenden County Jail. And I still make jail slaw, and occasionally will have it with fried bologna, on a bun.

 

The prison tamale reminds me of something Paul Newman might have gotten fed during his time in the box.

 

 

My reference to jailhouse tamale wasn't intended to have anything to do with the food actually prepared for prisoners in jail or prison kitchens. Honestly, I have no knowledge first or even second-hand on that subject. Rather, I had for while a circle of acquaintances who did have that experience. Actual prison chow never came up, but preparations made by prisoners from hoarded ingredients available from the chow hall or commissary occasionally did. Many of them involved adding hot(ish) water to the individual serving bags of Fritos, Cheetos and the like. This might not have any bearing on the Frito Pie originally mentioned here except to trigger a memory in my own mind.

 

I first came to Memphis to help open a small distribution facility in the 90s. Some sales reps promised lunch for everybody but mysteriously wouldn't say what they were bringing. When I found out it was fried bologna I thought it was a prank. Turned out they brought several dozen fried bologna sandwich lunches from Zinnie's East (now closed). They were so good I went back for more many times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OldHobo said:

My reference to jailhouse tamale wasn't intended to have anything to do with the food actually prepared for prisoners in jail or prison kitchens. Honestly, I have no knowledge first or even second-hand on that subject. Rather, I had for while a circle of acquaintances who did have that experience. Actual prison chow never came up, but preparations made by prisoners from hoarded ingredients available from the chow hall or commissary occasionally did. Many of them involved adding hot(ish) water to the individual serving bags of Fritos, Cheetos and the like. This might not have any bearing on the Frito Pie originally mentioned here except to trigger a memory in my own mind.

 

I first came to Memphis to help open a small distribution facility in the 90s. Some sales reps promised lunch for everybody but mysteriously wouldn't say what they were bringing. When I found out it was fried bologna I thought it was a prank. Turned out they brought several dozen fried bologna sandwich lunches from Zinnie's East (now closed). They were so good I went back for more many times.

Ah, Zinnie's! Have knocked back a beer or three there.

 


Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/18/2017 at 10:08 PM, Katie Meadow said:

And since I end up throwing out 97 percent of every can I open

I've done the same; but maybe we should be emptying the can into a ziplock bag and freezing?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, chappie said:

I've done the same; but maybe we should be emptying the can into a ziplock bag and freezing?

Perhaps we should. But I suspect I won't. I know myself well enough to know that teeny little packets in my freezer tend to be forgotten, discovered with confusion, and then tossed. Might as well face the music and do the tossing up front. Canned chipotle is just not a staple for me. Indeed I am finding my freezer to be a war zone these days. There just isn't enough room in it and I have a case of freezer anxiety.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/10/2017 at 5:33 PM, Katie Meadow said:

Perhaps we should. But I suspect I won't. I know myself well enough to know that teeny little packets in my freezer tend to be forgotten, discovered with confusion, and then tossed. Might as well face the music and do the tossing up front. Canned chipotle is just not a staple for me. Indeed I am finding my freezer to be a war zone these days. There just isn't enough room in it and I have a case of freezer anxiety.

 

Perhaps this freezer clear-out topic would be an inspiration? 

 

 

Note: This topic has been locked because it had begun to drift, and there is a parallel discussion, here: https://forums.egullet.org/topic/26102-chili/(and it didn't really make sense to merge these).


Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)

"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...