• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lemon Pistachio Tart

Richard Kilgore

Today I had a slice of Lemon Pistachio Tart at a local shop. Wonderful, wonderful. There was a layer of pistachio between the lemon and the pastry, but not sure how they did the pistachio layer. Anyone know of a recipe or an idea of how to do it?

My guess is they just put down a layer of pistachio praline powder or paste before pouring in the lemon cream. To make praline powder you make a caramel and add nuts, spread out on a sheet pan to cool, then pulverize in a food processor - process less for a crunchy powder, more for a paste. You should be able to easily make your own by following a recipe for hazelnut or almond praline and substituting pistachios.

NSM - is this giving you any thoughts?

RK - please describe the crust. Was it thin and crisp, somewhat thick, sugary and crumbly, more like shortbread. I'm curious.

Lemon and pistachios are two great tastes that I have never sampled together.

Pistachio (and hazelnut) praline paste is available from the King Arthur Flour catalogue, if you find making it yourself too challenging.

They could have used a commercial paste, which is very smooth, but blended in some chopped/crushed nuts for texture.

Nightscotsman --- Thanks. I'll give it a try soon. Perhaps if I processed half of it to a paste and half a little less and then combined them it would give me what I am looking for.

Aurora --- The crust was medium thick and more like shortbread. Yes, the lemon and pistachio turn out to be a great combination.

I'll talk to the chef next time I am there. They were swamped yesterday, so I did not at the time.

rickster --- thanks for pointing that out. How much taste difference is there between the prepared paste and doing it myself?

Sorry, can't help you there. I've only used the prepared paste. I've tried making hazelnut paste in a processor in the past and not had much success, because I think the nuts you usually get at retail are not fresh enough (or I stored them in the freezer too long) and the moisture content is too low, so I turned to prepared hazelnut praline and then tried the pistachio one. The pistachio paste is very smooth without any chunks or pieces of nuts. I used it to make a pistachio-chocolate ganache to fill chocolates with, so the application is a bit different from what you want to use it for.

Edited by rickster (log)