• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dubuque or Dyersville, Iowa - Good Pork Tenderloin

Sweet Willie

This fall some friends of mine and I will be driving to the Field of Dreams movie site in Dyersville Iowa to play some softball on the diamond there.

Anyone know of a bar/restaurant that serves a good pork tenderloin sandwich in either Dyersville or Dubuque area? Doesn't matter whether it is fried or grilled.

Thanks,

Willie

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be"

Fried- never grilled,

Used to feel that way as well until one dining day at the I-80 truckstop, the special was a grilled pork tenderloin. Incredible! so now I'm bi-tenderloin.

• 2 weeks later...

Two ideas: The first is Breitbach's Balltown Restaurant, which is on a scenic little road north and west of Dubuque. It's the oldest restaurant in Iowa (Jesse James ate there) and is owned by the same family that opened it in the 1850s. Lots of country fare. For food bigger than your head, try the little restaurant in Gunder, which is northwest of Dubuque. If you are willing to drive a bit further, everyone seems to agree that Joensy's in Solon (just north of Iowa City) has the best tenderloins in the state. A couple of other food recommendations: breakfast at the bakery/cafe in Guttenburg (on the river, north of Dubuque) is definitely worth the trip. And don't be suckered in by Amana Colonies fare. Very mediocre.

If you are willing to drive a bit further, everyone seems to agree that Joensy's in Solon (just north of Iowa City) has the best tenderloins in the state.

Incredible, a buddy of mine who lives in Coralville has some 'splaining to do.

As he and I would dine on tenderloins all over east central Iowa, he said he knew all the good places.

I went to Cornell College and never heard of the place in Solon you mentioned. Solon beef days is another matter though :smile:

Ha, well it's a great place. The Hawkeye football goes there on Fridays to bulk up for Saturday games. You really ought to think about a trip to Gunder, too. The Gunder burger is an institution in Iowa. It's a plateful that people rave about. And if you want to try some Kosher deli, there are a couple of places in Postville worth trying. Postville has a Kosher packing plant and so has a large population of Rabbis who work in the pack. Interesting food scene. I could go on and on about food in Iowa. I have an affinity for Sale Barn cafes, too, and could also recommend some good ones. And if you are in Dubuque you need to buy some caramels from the Cloister there. Delicious.

Iowa has some good eaten....it's not fancy but damn, its good! Jwagnerdsm you got me, your mentioning places no one's taken me too and I can't wait to check out your places. Any further leads in the Iowa City/Coraville area? I'm not from there so I'm stuck always following my DH's leads, it would be cool to intro. him to a new (he lived in IC for many years).

How about Whitey's? No matter what time of day we stop as were on our way to IC, sometimes it's ice cream for breakfast!

Hamburg Inn No. 2 in Iowa City is a great place for breakfast. I'm sure your hubby has been there and maybe you have been, too. it's fun to zip down to Fairfield (40 minute drive through Amish country) where the Meditators have established a presence. Lots of interesting restaurants and grocery stores there because of their dietary needs. Some great Curry places, etc. I also like the food at the Kalona Sale Barn. And the bakery in Kalona (in the heart of the Amish community) has great Chocolate Chip Cookies. BTW, don't confuse the Amish with the Amana Colonies, which is a whole different sect.

Yes I've often eaten at the Hamburg inn......honestly it's only been o.k. the place is cool, but it's hit or miss on quality. I guess I didn't know there are 2 of them....where's the other one? Or they want to eat breakfast at the hiV (sp?) that's just too weird for me. Any other breakfast spots you like?

How about a Indian restaurant you like in IC?

My step daughter is a manager at Mondos downtown......so we eat there alot. I like the Tomato Pie better though.

I recall them talking about Kolona...but I can't place any facts to it. Maybe that's were my honey used to go shroomin.

We have a Mondos in Des Moines. The food there is very good. Hamburg Inn #2, oddly enough, is the only Hamburg Inn in I.C. There are a couple of good Indian places in Iowa City but the names escape me at the moment. I will ask DW in the a.m. Are you from Iowa? I have a new web site that is a little thin right now but explores Iowa food topics. You can click on the little iowa flavors link below to get to it. Where do you live?

I'm in Chicago burbs, stepdaughter and her family reside there in IC/Coralville area. We have alot of links there. We love Iowa, good people and good food. We ALWAYS enjoy our visits and they are always too short.

Hubby is a Hawkeye fan for life, named my cat and my e-mail the same too. He was raised in Davenport and Bendtendorf, sibling and him went to college in Iowa City.

Oh, love those Ross burgers! and Yen Changs in IC!

Isn't that Indian restaurant in the Ped Mall area of Iowa City called Mandala? They aren't half bad. Hamburg Inn is where my parents would go to eat off a hangover they aquired at Joe's Place. If you are willing to go out of your way, the original Machine Shed in Davenport is always a pretty good bet. They were headed downhill there for a while but they brought in their best manager to bring it back up to snuff. They still serve some of the best pork dishes, including a tenderloin, in the state. I love their Iowa chops with apple stuffing.

And don't forget the Candy Kitchen in Wilton, oldest working ice cream parlor in the nation. The ice cream is great but watch out for Thelma, she's a first class witch.

Edited to add that the Kalona sale barn is a treat. The coated ice cream bars are really tasty. The first Monday of every month is the horse sales. Lots of draft horses... some of my fondest memories.

Edited by Foam Pants (log)

9 out of 10 dentists recommend wild Alaska salmon.

Hamburg Inn #2, oddly enough, is the only Hamburg Inn in I.C.

I believe that Hamburg Inn#1 burned down years and years ago. It's a great divey diner to people watch, but don't kid yourself that the food is any good. It always gave me a stomach ache.

I had lunch at Hamburg Inn the day Ronald Reagan ate there (about 10 years ago, I think). The place was crawling with Secret Service. My friend and I, both fascinated and horrified (we weren't fans of the man), sat at the counter directly facing Reagan. He ate a giant slice of pie a la mode, THEN had a big meatloaf dinner. I knew a guy who was a long-time short-order cook there, and he claimed to have put lots of uncalled-for extra pepper in the ex-Pres' meal.

An ironic little plaque was installed in the booth where Reagan sat. I wonder if it's still there.

Does Linn Street Cafe still serve good food? I'll actually be in Iowa City in October, if any local eGulleters would like to have dinner!

Does Jim Mondanaro still own Mondo's and Tomato Pie? Are there any additional Mondanaro restaurants in Iowa City? Rumors about him flew so fast and thick in the 80s and 90s, it's nice to know he survived.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

My step daughter is a manager at one of the Mondo restuarants (she's worked from him for about 10 years now). Yes, Jim still owns them. To the best of my knowledge there's the "Pie" on the strip and the one downtown in IC next to his Bread Garden Bakery/restaurant. Plus he has one in a near by town (the name eludes me at the moment), in fact my step daughter is dating the fellow who managed that one.

He did open a HUGE Mondos in either CO or Arizona (lost track of which...there were plans for both- eventually) about 2 years ago. The whole venture nearly took him under. It was a huge failure but I admire his guts and vision. If only he had opened a Mondos in Chi town burbs I think he would have been a huge sucess, me and hubby would eat there a couple nights a week. But Jim has bounced back and is still going strong in IC.

I favor the Pie's food and adore their fresh breads. Although I think their first baker was a bit better then the current fellow. Have you eaten the oatmeal pie with cinnamon ice cream-....to die for!

Edited by Sinclair (log)

I have to admit I'm drawing a blank on the pork tenderloins....do you mean baked pork grandma style (gravy)?

I have a great mom and pop shop for homemade meals. It's a bohemian restaurant in Westchester...called the Westchester Inn. It's outragously cheap, very good and too much food. It's a zero for atmosphere, but check out the pet shop in the same mall for your circus's.

They do wiener snitzel, smoked pork chops, smokied butt, fish, baked chicken (yes), roast turkey dinners, roast pork dinner (me and hubbies favorite). It mainly draws the over 60 crowd but don't let that weird you out. They just know home cookin at a good value.

They have good fresh rye bread, simple yet good chicken soup ( or liver dumpling soup), entree, boiled poatoes, potato dumplings, cabbage or kraut, dessert is included and it's your choice or puddings or studel (pick the studel). On Sunday they offer a free glass of wine with dinner..........cheap wine, but something Mom might have in her fridge.

If you try it, go around 4:00 p.m. foods best during their rush but don't be supprised if they sell out of what you want.

I have to admit I'm drawing a blank on the pork tenderloins....do you mean baked pork grandma style  (gravy)?

No, the sandwich pork tenderloin. They can be fried or grilled.

Here is a pic of a fried pork tenderloin: http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.a....aspx?RefID=652

I just remembered the Maid-Rite restaurant in Marion, Iowa (which is essentially Cedar Rapids). It is the BEST Maid-Rite I've ever been to, and I still crave their heavenly and very thin onion rings. They have a tenderloin sandwich, and knowing this place, I'll bet it's really good. I found mention of it here:

http://www.dozinghippo.com/diary091902.htm

This Maid-Rite has the distinction of being owned by the family of the woman who played Dax on Star Trek: Deep Space 9. :biggrin:

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Article on Hamburg Inn's 55-year anniversary and celebration:

http://www.dailyiowan.com/news/460418.html...ml&mkey=1000699

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

i'm originally from abt. 30 miles south of iowa city, but don't get back there much any more. that'll change next year, though, 'cause my daughter's going to school there (both her mom and i did, as well).

anyone know if the lark is still in tiffin (6 mi. west of coralville?)? used to have some pretty good prime rib. i'll admit i do like zuber's in the amana's, but agree that the food can be pretty boring. i've had fried pork in just about every truck stop between davenport and iowa city (used to work for a seed corn company), and i've really never had a 'bad' one.

if you really wanna sample 'local' cuisine, head about 28 miles south of iowa city on 218 to a little town called 'ainsworth'. go west on hwy 92, and in town on the right you'll see the shamrock. good fried catfish, and good steaks. if you go east on 92, there's a little restaurant on the left whose name i forget, but when i get home to see mom and dad they take me there for steaks.

matt