• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adega in Denver-What do you think?

I am new to this forum, and a Denverite. Let's see if there are enough Denver people around to start a Denver topic.

We went to Adega last friday night for the first time. Usually when an upscale chef or restaurant in Denver is getting as much praise and publicity as Adega is we are hesitant to try it and ready for it to be a disappointment. So we were surprised by having a very good meal--food, service and wine all were impressive. We ordered ala carte rather than the tasting menu, and had a great experience.

Has anyone else been? What was good, what wasn't?

Fred Bramhall

A professor is one who talk's in someone else's sleep

I live in Aurora, have not eaten at Adega but want rto when the budget or special occasion permits. I have eaten at several (IMHO) of the *better* places in town and I am always happy to trade ideas. Welcome to a great site.

colestove

Welcome Fred :smile:

I've been to Adega and enjoyed it, but not so recently (not since the Beard recognition) that I can discuss the menu with any specificity.

edit to add: I'm in Boulder.

Edited by afoodnut (log)

Tried Adega for the first time and had the amazing 6-course chef's tasting menu paired with wines served in Riedel stemware (2 French whites, 2 Italian reds, 1 French dessert wine, and 1 semillon dessert wine from New Zealand). The sommelier explained each of the selections as he poured them (without attitude) and how they paired with the food. They also brought by an amuse bouche (a microscopic piece of art that was announced as a spring roll of some sort), and one server brought by a bread tray multiple times filled with 5 or 6 different selections such as sourdough and kalamata olive.

Professional service and a unique, stellar combination of ingredients in the dishes on a par with what you would find in "foodie dream cities" like San Francisco. I don't normally eat figs or combine lobster with cherries and fennel relish, but everything in this menu worked together and provided so many different taste sensations.

Does anyone know how frequently the tasting menu changes? Daily? Weekly? Monthly? Ours was completely different from the one listed on their website.

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

I don't know how often they change the tasting menu. I thought the sommelier was extremely knowledgable and helpful as well. We were amused by him though--this was "not your father's sommelier", he was young and kind of seemed like he might of done a lot of surfing before becoming a wine fanatic. He has a long section of Austrian wines, we had one of the Austrian whites (on his recommendation) with our first course that was a great match with the food.

Fred Bramhall

Below is the chef's tasting menu from our visit:

Course One - Wedge of butter lettuce with buttered pecans, grilled peaches, buttermilk dressing, and blueberries (the last item was not included in the menu description, so I'm wondering if they ended up on the plate by mistake)

Wine - 1999 Marc Tempe "Zellenberg" Gewurztraminer, Alsace, France

Course Two - Crisp lobster and cherries with diver scallops and fennel relish.

Wine - 1997 Chateau Soucherie "Clos des Perrieres" Sauvennieres, Loire Valley, France

Course Three - Truffle stuffed arctic char with purple potato steak fries and cauliflower sauce

Wine for Course Three - 2001 Francesco Boschis "Vigna dei Prey"

Dolcetto di Dogliani, Piedmont, Italy

Course Four - Rack of Colorado lamb with potato wrapped summer onion, braised ribs, zucchini & pastina risotto

Wine - 1996 Massolino, Barolo, Piedmont, Italy

Course Five - Affidelice cheese course with biscotti and black mission figs

Wine - 2001 Les Clos de Paulilles, Banyuls, France

Course Six - Pear brioche tart with calvados anglaise

Wine - 2000 Lawson's Dry Hills, Late Harvest Semillon, Marlborough, New Zealand

“When I was dating and the wine list was presented to my male companion, I tried to ignore this unfortunate faux pas. But this practice still goes on…Closing note to all servers and sommeliers: please include women in wine selection. Okay?”--Alpana Singh, M.S.-"Alpana Pours"

Meaning Bryan from Adega has bought the Beehive space? It seems like a very small space for him to do something with. I'm curious what he has in mind.

I have really been loving the food at Luca D'italia lately. I was never as big a fan of the food that Frank Bonanno does at Mizuna, but maybe it is just a much richer style of food at Mizuna, the meatball appetizer that he does at Luca is incredible.

Fred Bramhall

Just had a wonderful meal at adega this past saturday evening.

Not only was the food and service top notch, but sommelier Chris Farnum's list and knowledge are over the top.

I was quite hesitant as what to expect as Denver has never been revered as a great fine dining restaurant town.

After my experience this past weekend I can hope Chef Brian and his staffs influence will entice others in Denver to head in this direction.

Details on the meal to follow.

Klinger

Edited by klinger75 (log)

• 3 months later...

OK, so where are the meal details, eh, Klinger75? :smile:

Let's get this Adega discussion going again. Interested in hearing about recent visits.

I'm just down the road from you...

Tasting menu when we went was $69 per person plus $45 for wines matched to each course, but if you order off the menu or abstain from fun beverages it's much cheaper. It was a ton of food and wine though with new plates, silverware, and Riedel crystal for each course. Their website is www.adegadenver.com, but it doesn't seem like they update it. I read (in the Post, I think) they are going to be open for Monday dinners now too.

I'm just down the road from you...

Tasting menu when we went was $69 per person plus $45 for wines matched to each course, but if you order off the menu or abstain from fun beverages it's much cheaper. It was a ton of food and wine though with new plates, silverware, and Riedel crystal for each course. Their website is www.adegadenver.com, but it doesn't seem like they update it. I read (in the Post, I think) they are going to be open for Monday dinners now too.

thanks. the menu looks interesting. it would have to be a really special night for me to throw that much change at their tasting menu though.

perhaps at some point those of us in the boulder/denver area should think about a food related gathering?

Just took a quick glance at the dining issue of Denvers magazine ( 5825 ? some number like that ). Chef Bryan is voted best chef and there is an article on him as well as some insight on some of his future plans for opening up some places.

Before going back to Denver, he was Exec. Chef at Bistro Toujours in Park City, Utah and got the restaurant awarded Best Resort dining by the readers of Salt Lake magazine. Unfortunately didn't have a chance to sample his stuff ( he was only in Utah for about a little over a year I think ) but like has been said, I have heard many a good thing about his food.

Jason

The magazine is called 5280 (as in 5280 feet, one mile high). Mckayinutah, you live in utah I imagine, so we'll forgive you for not getting the cute title of the Mag. Bryan is trying to open a second place here, but has run into a snag with liquor licensing--it is billed as upscale comfort food or something along those lines.

Fred Bramhall

So....Who here reads Westword's restaurant reviews? If so, do you agree with people's complaints that he doesn't talk enough about the restaurants? Also, who listens to KEZW's Restaurant Show with Warren Byrne? :laugh:

I read Westword's reviews--mostly I can't stand the reviewer, whose name escapes me right now. It's not just that he doesn't talk about the restaurants enough, it's his whole style of acting the part of the hip kitchen insider who knows all about what goes on behind those closed doors and is kind enough to regale us with his insight. I guess that would not be so bad if he could back it up, but I don't think that he does.

He also creates a theme or storyline for each review that overshadows the actual reviewing of the restaurant.

I like Kyle Wagner's reviews, although I liked them more when she was with Westword than now that she is with the Denver Post.

Fred Bramhall

Jason Sheehan is the Westword reviewer who writes the "Bite Me" column. I think he's a creative and entertaining writer. He does tend to ramble about things other than the food, but that can make for an interesting read...I'm more likely to take Kyle Wagner's advice since she has been dead-on about many places and one of her columns introduced me to the great sandwiches at Marczyk Fine Foods...Lori Midson (formerly of 5280) also has a knack for sussing out the good places (she posts on another site and writes for some golfing magazine now). I'm also lucky enough to work with a fellow foodie that I trade recommendations and take-out menus with.

Claire Walters' "Culinary Colorado" book that came out this year is great. Gabby Gourmet's annual guide is a good reference tool, as is the Dining Out magazine that comes out once or twice a year and contains sample menus for the Denver area.

...Lori Midson (formerly of 5280) also has a knack for sussing out the good places (she posts on another site and writes for some golfing magazine now).

Thanks for the nice words -- and it's Colorado AvidGolfer Magazine. Look for a dining feature on Denver's restaurant scene in the February issue. It won't be as in depth as the Dining in Denver features I wrote for 5280, but I expect it will get people talking...

-LM

-Midson-

A gourmet who thinks of calories is like a tart, who looks at her watch

-James Beard-

I hate golf, but this might actually make me buy a golfing magazine. :biggrin:

Besides culinary advice, maybe I'll pick up enough tips to actually be able to beat a six-year-old at putt-putt.

I hate golf, but this might actually make me buy a golfing magazine.  :biggrin:

Besides culinary advice, maybe I'll pick up enough tips to actually be able to beat a six-year-old at putt-putt.

I've never played golf in my life, which makes it rather ironic that I'm writing for a golfing magazine, but avid golfers are avid eaters, and one of these days, I'll follow in the footsteps of my father and swing a club. Maybe.

By the way, I'm always on the lookout for terrific undiscovered ethnic joints, so if you (or anyone else) happens to come across a place that really stands out, do tell. I adore Yummy Yummy on East Colfax and Ursula, especially the larb, which puts all others I've eaten to shame, including Lotus of Siam in Vegas (which I also love). I assume you've been to Jack-n-Grill, which has just expanded and added a liquor license. Woo hoo!

All sorts of interesting changes, too, on the dining front. 2004 is going to be an interesting year for Denver restaurants.

-Lori

-Midson-

-James Beard-

LM  good to hear you are going to do a look at the dining scene in Denver.  I enjoyed your reviews  in 5280. 

colestove

Thanks! I'd been at 5280 for nearly five years, and while I think it's a great magazine, it was time for me to make a change, and I think AvdGolfer has tremendous potential, especially since we're pushing it toward a more lifestyles-oriented publication. It's been a good move.

-Lori

-Midson-

-James Beard-