• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

6,684 feet

Florida Jim

Yesterday, we drove the Blue Ridge Parkway over to Mount Mitchell. If there is a prettier two hour drive in this country, I haven’t taken it.

The last time I had been to the “highest point east of the Mississippi” was 25 years ago. I had come at a time when I was sad and emotionally lost. The natural power and beauty of the place had helped.

This time we were fulfilling my wife’s birthday request. I think the place got to her, too.

On the way back and after a hike to a lovely waterfall, we had lunch at one of the overlooks along the Parkway. Turkey sandwiches, chips, olives, cheese and crackers and a bottle of 2000 Raveneau, Butteaux. This wine has not yet closed up and smells of flowers and spring water. It’s fresh and lively in the mouth with lots of mineral crunch and a long, fruit sweet finish. About as good as Chardonnay gets.

Later in the evening, we had a couple of homemade pizzas; one with spinach, feta and tomato, and, the other with olive tapenade. To accompany, a 1999 Chevillon, Les Perrieres, delighted the senses. It is rich and fleshy but also has the cut and backbone I have come to expect of good Burgundy. The nose is so expansive that when I opened the bottle, Diane could smell it across the room. And it just goes on and on; even at this age, a memorable wine.

Many happy returns.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com