• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kiwi Fruit

Suzi Edwards

26 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

. . . like a grape , , ,

that sounds super interesting . . . two on the board ready for attempts . . .

slice off an end for starting point(s)?

You could, but I just break the skin with my fingernails.

Is the skin on your 'kiwis' hard?

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I cut off the two ends, cut them in half lengthwise, and use a teaspoon to scoop the flesh out of the skin. Otherwise, if you want to keep them whole (to make round slices), a small paring knife works really well after cutting off the 2 ends.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

2 minutes ago, MetsFan5 said:

I think US kiwis aren’t generally hard, but I don’t think I’d enjoy trying to peel them like a grape. The texture of their skin isn unpleasant to me. 

You eat the skin?

2 hours ago, BeeZee said:

I cut off the two ends, cut them in half lengthwise, and use a teaspoon to scoop the flesh out of the skin. Otherwise, if you want to keep them whole (to make round slices), a small paring knife works really well after cutting off the 2 ends.

Yes, I also do the cut and scoop thing, depending on how I want to use the flesh. Many years ago, I wanted to make a favourite dish I used to make in London before moving to China - Mackerel with gooseberries. Gooseberries are difficult to find here but I remembered that kiwi fruit was called Chinese gooseberries long before New Zealand's marketing people changed the name in the late 1960s/ early 1970s and claimed them as their own.

So I scooped out the flesh as you described and puréed it with some lemon juice to replicate the tartness of gooseberry. I used yellow fleshed kiwi to be closer to gooseberry in appearance.

goldkiwifruit2.thumb.jpg.a0a30d03f3613570448a004d49c4d391.jpg

It wasn't the same, but worked well enough to repeat.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto