• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dahlia Lounge

The one time I had dinner at Dahlia in their new space I thought it was excellent. A velvety cauliflower soup, some crispy, porky pot stickers and homemade donuts stand out in my memory. Many PNW eG'ers are big fans of the bakery there.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I haven't eaten at Dahlia, but I have eaten at his latest restaurant, Palace Kitchen, and while it was a bit loud (people, not music), the food was fantastic, and I would eat there again in a nano-second.

Actually, I'll be in Seattle soon myself and am hoping to have at least one meal at the Dahlia Lounge, besides getting to 727 Pine for at least one meal - hopefully breakfast.

The Dahlia Lounge is a fine restaurant. You will most likely have a good meal there. Whether you do or not, please come back and post here and let us know how it went!!

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Dahlias Lounge is great, had a trio of Lamb while there last summer! Also love the Flying Fish and Fandango - great mojitos!! Also out by the airport in the din of chain restaurant strip malls - is a very non-descript Italian restaurant called Grazies - a local family owned spot in a little strip mall. Love the inexpensive Italian wines - enjoy the Primitivo (Italian Zin), especially if you can find a good 1997 vintage.

We have been to Dahlia 4-5 times in the last 2 years. The last two times were disappointing and we have not been back. But others rave, so I perhaps we hit off nights, or just ordered the wrong thing.

727 Pine is excellent, although rather pricey. Have been there 7-8 times in last year or so - never disappointed, and usually very, very pleased with both the food and the service. Their kobe beef is superb.

Edited to add: Brasserie Margaux is also outstanding, in the opinion of several of us here.

Edited by SeAAttle (log)

• 3 weeks later...

One of you should definitely get the donuts for dessert.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Will you let us know how the dinner goes and what you ordered?

BTW, welcome to eGullet!

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Yes, Ms. Ramsey, I'd be happy to. We (me/husband) moved to WA from CA last year after being life-long CA resident(me only).

We live in Poulsbo and it's slim-pickens for great (good...ok mediocore) restaurants here...so we spend a LOT of time taking the ferry over to Seattle.

We live and work in Gig Harbor and spend way too much time driving up to Seattle for meals as well. There are a couple of good restaurants within driving distance on Bainbridge Island as well as in Gig Harbor and Tacoma (less time driving to either town vs. waiting and taking the ferry). Tacoma is becoming a decent food town (still in Seattle's shadows)...and has wonderful food shopping as well (shop first, bring a cooler, then eat at one of the city's restaurants). And, there's a cute breakfast dive in Poulsbo (I cannot remember the name). My husband and I had reservations for our anniversary at the Willcox House, which is not too far from Poulsbo and is supposed to have a great prix fixe menu (had to cancel because our babysitter couldn't make it).

Willcox House

Welcome to the NW! We made the move from Maui two+ years ago and love it, especially with 50+ days over 70 degrees. :biggrin:

Dinner at Dahlia Lounge was great! We sort of 'share' and had the Corn Soup with Basil Mousse...smooth as glass! The Crab Cakes were delicious but almost put to shame by the incredibly tasty wok-stirred vegetables. We can't ever ignore Potstickers on a menus...and these were a bit of a surprise...being deep-fried...or fried in some way...but terrific texture and taste just the same.

My husband had the Alaskan Halibut which was served in a wonderful broth...but his meal had a hard time competing with mine...the Pork Loin with molasses-glazed pork belly and Carmelized Onion Spoon Bread.

OK, most of the time I'll order the Alaskan Salmon on just about any menu...because I love the flavor..but for some reason this pork loin thing caught my eye and it was mone of the BEST main courses I've had in a long time.

MsRamsey speaks the truth...the DONUTS are incredible for dessert. Actually, they are donut holes...right out of the oven...dusted in cinnamon and served with fresh vanilla mascarpoine and strawberry jam.

I found the service to be perfect...professional, warm but not overly 'fussy'. The room is beautiful...sort of small supper club effect.

We'll definitely go back. I give it 4 out of 5 stars...only because my pork was not piping hot...more luke-warm when served...picky picky.

Kimo...I know of a wondeful restaurant in Gig Harbor....The Beach House...we dine there every so often with friends who live in that area. It's good but a long drive for us....(yeah, we're lazy....it's about 45 minutes).

I have heard about Wilcox House and have called once or twice to see about dinner or an overnight excursion. Both times the person answering the phone was a mite snooty...so I'm not sure I'll call again.

I think the breakfast dive you speak of in Poulsbo is Sheila's Bay Cafe. It's a good dive... (-: