• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moon Cakes

Gary Soup

Ingredients: Abalone, Oyster, Cashew, Sesame Seeds, Almonds, Sunflower Seeds, Sugar, Soybean Oil, Enriched Flour, Egg and coloring.

Abalone, oyster?  Are they putting me on? or is this common practise?

I can hardly wait!

Abalone and oyster in a mooncake? You are kidding me, right? How can seafood manage to get in a mooncake? They wouldn't even last a couple of days in a fridge. May be reconstituted dried abalone and oyster? Still, seems a bit unusual.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

Not surprised. Mooncake manufacturers are extremely innovative in creating over the top mooncakes.

Abalone and oyster? Hai yah! Even if there are miniscule slivers of it, the mooncake will be labelled as Abalone and Oyster as the star ingredient.

Now Sue-On has us mouth-agape waiting for her taste description....

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

I didn't notice the display case, but I gotta tell you that both of my friends who grew up in SF Chinatown buy theirs from Eastern still, for whatever that's worth.  Stockton is the place to go for live fish or seafood and the medicine shops, I was able to find some really wonderfully aged chun pay and other good stuff.  But for produce I used to prefer going to Clement, and then later, to the Irving area.  That's where it's really popping now.

Maybe because Eastern is the emptiest store of them all -- no line, no bustle hustle! Even on a Saturday afternoon at 3:00 pm (where AA would be jam-packed). And that the store attendants speak very well English. :smile:

I agree that the action is moving away from China Town. I like dining along Clement. Many choices, much easier parking. There are a few good and inexpensive Chinese restaurants in the Sunset district (around Noriega and 34th). There are some in Daly City and many new ones in Milbrae. Also, I recently have been to Richmond along I-80. There are a few restaurants around the 99Ranch market anchor. They are pretty good too. More choices!

Price of a box of Mooncakes around the world

I am very curious: how much are they selling a box of Mooncake around the world? The price is driven by the market: supply and demand... whether there is a lot of demand or a lot of competition, and the local cost of living, etc..

To get some comparison, let me just use the "single yoke, lotus seed paste mooncake" as the sample.

In San Francisco, USA: A box of 4 is typically around US $18 to $20. There are older, more famous brand name (e.g. Wing Wah) which sells at US $25. And less-known brands selling at $15.

AprilMei/HKDave: How much is a box of 4 mooncakes in Hong Kong selling for?

Tepee: In KL, Malaysia?

Torakris: Do you see Mooncake for sale in Japan? I would imagine they might be $$$$$. Opps, sorry, YYYYY.

Origamecrane: How about in London China Town? Did you buy any? 20 BP a box?

Kangarool/PCL: How about downunder? See them in Chinatown?

jo-mel, Laksa, herbacidal, et. al.: Is the mooncake price about the same in the East Coast?

mudbug/sheetz: in the not-so-asian-populated areas in the USA?

Dejah/Ben: In Canada?

Anybody in Paris or other European cities? How about Taiwan, other cities in Mainland China, or other countries?

Please cite the local currency and the exchange rate to US$ for a comparison.

Very curious... :smile:

Edited by hzrt8w (log)

The special mooncakes are in my Vancouver nephew's grubby little hands at this time. Irwin made the drop off this afternoon. They will be shipped out to me on Monday, so, wait and salivate! :raz::laugh:

Did I mention that I had a "first experience" this summer? I ate durian and loved it! :wub: So, I will doubly enjoy the durian mooncakes also in the care package.

In Brandon, Manitoba, our Superstore gets mooncakes from Vancouver. Be dang if I can remember the name of the company. At least they are always moist and fresh. Last year, I paid $25.00 Canadian for a tin of 4 lotus seed DOUBLE yolk moon cakes. I didn't bother with the single yolk 'cos I want double yolks!

More expensive ones in Winnipeg's Chinatown run up to $32.00 for double yolk if I remember correctly...again, from Vancouver.

What do you guys do with all those tins!? Anything creative? :blink:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

We usually buy our mooncakes freshly made from Hee Hing, a local Chinese restaurant. They have a big banner outside their place when it's "mooncake season," and the mooncakes are invariably sold out long before the festival! Price sounds about right.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

What do you guys do with all those tins!? Anything creative? :blink:

When I was a kid in Hong Kong we melted candles in them and set it on fire... I swear the flames are 6' high :laugh:

On-topic: The only kind of mooncake I like are the ones with lotus paste and at least two egg yolks. None of that abalone or fruity cakes for me. My parents, who claim that they don't like mooncakes, ate all of them before I came home!

:shock:

I haven't looked at this year's prices yet but they should be less than half of Hz's and less than a third of UK's.

If I buy mooncakes, it's for the boxes. This year, they have very lovely ones made from organza which is embroidered, wooden ones with pull-out compartments, tins with beautiful pictures. :wub: OK, I'm a closet mooncake box collector. I think I've got over 2 dozen tins of all shape and sizes. Haven't decided what to do with them. I've used some to store knick knacks, others I've to think of a way to stop rust from forming.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

• 2 weeks later...

The special delivery of moon cakes from USA via Vancouver arrived Thursday. One tin of mooncakes was from wesza and his wife...the ones with abalone, oysters, and various seeds, as well as some durian mooncakes, durian candy bars, Haw flakes, and 3 different kinds of teas from China :biggrin:

Then my sister tucked in 2 tins of double yolk lotus paste mooncakes! :shock: I will share these with my students once term starts.

We tried one of the special cakes last night. What! You thought I could wait until Sept 18! :rolleyes: The inside of the cake had a lovely red plum colour. I could see all the various seeds inside. Not sure what the "binding" agent is, but it sure looks purty. The yolk was big 'cos when I cut the cake into 6 wedges, there was plenty of yolk in each.

The nuts gave the cake a really nice texture. It wasn't chewy, but it was? It wasn't overly sweet like the lotus paste is. On first bite, I could almost taste, or sense the seafood. But I was enjoying the taste and texture so much I didn't pay any more attention to determine if there was actual seafood taste. I am wondering why the abalone and oysters were used...perhaps adding to the chewy texture? :unsure:

There seemed to be some dried fruit (coconut thread, diced melon?) but they were not in the ingredients list. Whatever, the mooncake was delicious!

We drank jasmine tea, a gift from a Vietnames friend.

Before we eat anymore, I will wait for the full moon and also will take pictures.

Later at night, Bill tried the chrysanthamum/honey tea, and I had the ginger/honey tea. They both delightful if a bit on the sweet side. I added more water to my cup, but the aroma and flavour were still very upfront with the sweetness toned down.

What a treat! Thanks so much, wesza, dai gaw! :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

We tried one of the special cakes last night.... Not sure what the "binding" agent is..

The nuts gave the cake a really nice texture. It wasn't chewy, but it was? It wasn't overly sweet like the lotus paste is. On first bite, I could almost taste, or sense the seafood. But I was enjoying the taste and texture so much I didn't pay any more attention to determine if there was actual seafood taste. I am wondering why the abalone and oysters were used...perhaps adding to the chewy texture? :unsure:

There seemed to be some dried fruit (coconut thread, diced melon?) but they were not in the ingredients list. Whatever, the mooncake was delicious!

The binding is done by the sugars in the long list of ingredients and the ko fun (cooked glutinous rice flour) and there is indeed quite a lot of chewy stuff in there.

All I can say is you're one lucky, lucky loved lady. :wub:

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

We tried one of the special cakes last night.... Not sure what the "binding" agent is..

The binding is done by the sugars in the long list of ingredients and the ko fun (cooked glutinous rice flour) and there is indeed quite a lot of chewy stuff in there.All I can say is you're one lucky, lucky loved lady. :wub:

Gotta live on the "mooncake deprived prairies" to be treated so well! :laugh::laugh:

Thanks for the ingredients list. If I ever get enough hours in a day, and have energy left over, I may well try those! ACK! Did I really say that? That little opening may get me into trouble. :rolleyes:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Price of a box of Mooncakes around the world

To get some comparison, let me just use the "single yoke, lotus seed paste mooncake" as the sample.

I only know about the price of the four yolks, lotus seed paste mooncake(actually my family usually get the double yolk kind). :wink:

I miss my childhood where we would go to the park and have a celebration. The adults would bring mooncakes, pomelo, starfruits, and strong tea. There would be traditional lantern(which I always manage to burn a couple down each year), battery powered lantern(sailormoon was very popular at that time), glowsticks, and kids burning candles but eventually burning themselve and the trees........ :shock: Let's not talk about what we threw in the burning candles to make the flame go higher.

LOL, I do remember 'getting' a lantern or 2 burned too. And, now, it goes on to the next generation. I like lanterns made out of glass paper and the colorful Japanese style ones too. But, these days lanterns are catering to children brought up with a diet of Powerpuff Girls and Doraemon among other cartoon characters. The ones which grate the most are those which come built with a piercing macarena number. :wacko:

We are fortunate that in Msia, despite the popularity of computer games and non-traditional lanterns, we still find families lighting up their gardens with lanterns during this period. Truly a warm and lovely sight to behold as you drive home at night, to see generations come together to reminisce, decorate the place and eat mooncakes, steamed baby yams, pomelos and a black nut which looks like a bull's head (don't know the name).

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

I've lost track: When is this year's celebration? In case I want to plan on making my own..........

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

I've lost track: When is this year's celebration? 

Mid-Autumn Festival... aka Mooncake Festival... Chung Chou Geet [Cantonese]... Lantern Festival... 8th month 15th day on a lunar calendar:

September 18, 2005

Just 10 days away. Or 9 days if you are in M'sia.

Thank you! I see it's a Sunday night..........so in theory, I could spend the day making pastrieis! :biggrin:

I'm a canning clean freak because there's no sorry large enough to cover the, "Oops! I gave you botulism" regrets.

Yeah, nothing like a lot of bing bing bong bong to bring on the festive atmosphere!

But, seriously, if you plan to do the traditional mooncakes, you can't eat them on the same day you make them. They have to be rested for 3 days for the oil in the skin to distribute and soften the skin. Why wait? Make them today - and post here!

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Bat yuet sup ng: Tepee...can you REALLY wait 3 days before eating the moon cakes you made? :shock:

The lanterns I remember from wayyyyyyyyyyy back in my youth in KH were made of "glass paper". Amazing stuff really. My favourite was a bunny. Mine didn't get set on fire. I knew to be careful. :raz:

A friend sent one from Malaysia to my daughter when she was about 6. It is a bright pink butterfly. We bring it out whenever I do "guest speaker" stints in kindergarten classes in our city.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Bat yuet sup ng: Tepee...can you REALLY wait 3 days before eating the moon cakes you made?  :shock:

Did I say I'll wait 3 days before eating them? The reason why one recipe makes 8 mooncakes (assuming you're one to keep all to yourself like some gourmand gentleman we know) is so that you can end up with at least one or 2 for the festival itself. :rolleyes:

But, out of curiosity, how much is left in your gift stock now?

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Bat yuet sup ng: Tepee...can you REALLY wait 3 days before eating the moon cakes you made?  :shock:

Did I say I'll wait 3 days before eating them? The reason why one recipe makes 8 mooncakes (assuming you're one to keep all to yourself like some gourmand gentleman we know) is so that you can end up with at least one or 2 for the festival itself. :rolleyes:But, out of curiosity, how much is left in your gift stock now?

"at least 2 for the festival itself" :raz:

One abalone/oyster nut meat cake ( I shared with my family, 1 in Vancouver, 1 here at bro's, then we just HAD to taste one), 2 durian, 3 double yolk lotus paste cakes.

I saw the display up at our Superstore yesterday. A box (not tins! :shock: ) of single yolk lotus paste was $21.00 Canadian, double yolk lotus paste was 22.99. Didn't check to see what a single mooncake would cost. I was too busy walking away feeling smug! :laugh::laugh:

I had to laugh at HZ's "bing bing bong bong" sounf effects. My family says' "ba-ling ba-long"...Canadian Cantonese or Toisanese?

Edited by Dejah (log)

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I had to laugh at HZ's "bing bing bong bong" sounf effects. My family says' "ba-ling ba-long"...Canadian Cantonese or Toisanese?

*cough* *cough* That was Tepee's Malaysian-twisted Cantonese. :laugh: My family would agree with yours in describing "ba-ling ba-long".

I still have the double yolk lotus seed paste mooncakes from AA Bakery, San Francisco... waiting for the occassion.

disliked mooncakes intensely as a kid. acquired the taste as an adult. i now love filipino mooncakes (hopia) as well as the chinese/other asian ones. my favorite is the one made with yellow mung beans and with a duck egg yolk in the center, from a bakery in NYC Chinatown (sorry, i forget the name). decadent and oh so good. oh, and i prefer the white flaky pastry to the golden brown cakey one, though i wouldn't turn up my nose at the latter if offered:) i just bought a big box of mooncakes when i was in st. louis in preparation for autumn festival -- first time we're celebrating it this year, just because :smile:

stefoodie.net - now a wheatless, eggless, dairyless food blog

noodlesandrice.com (with b5media)

bakingdelights.com (with b5media, and my 15-yo-dd)