• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Moon Cakes

Gary Soup

If you have the proper language module installed in Windows and you know how to encode Chinese characters, you may enter those Chinese texts.

I don't have that, I just use a site that provides an English/pin-yin to Chinese translation:  Chinese English Online Dictionary  Input the words in English or Pin-Yin, then (hopefully) find the Chinese characters display and do some cut and paste work.

Thanks for that link, BTW. I finally was able to (sigh, I know this is not the first time someone has told this story) translate the tattoo that I got when I was 19. It was supposed to mean "music". I started having doubts about it a few years back, since I chose it from a sheet of flash, not from a Chinese speaker. Turns out it means "song", which is close enough for me.

whew. I was afraid to ask anyone to check it for me...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Gary, you must be out in the fogbelt -- the moon was big and beautiful from my place in the Mission! Inspired by this thread, I even remembered to walk into Chinatown at lunch yesterday and buy a mooncake. It was my first one ever. I was very excited about it, but I'm sorry to report I was underwhelmed. :sad: I probably should have gone to Golden Gate Bakery, but I just ducked into the first  bakery I saw.

Cheers,

Squeat

No, I'm in North Beach. Actually, we're on the north slope of Russian Hill, where we get the fog/low overcast that comes in through the Golden Gate. To tell the truth, I didn't look for the moon, but it was so dark outside it wasn't asserting itself even if it was visible through the haze.

You'd probably be underwhelmed by mooncakes from anywhere, IMHO. The mooncakes at GG might be a degree more artful, but they're an acquired taste and probably have to do more with memories than anything else.

I really like Kee Wah Bakery here in Southern California. I will get some mooncakes there before leaving for Oakland next week, and I am sharing with whoever wants some. PM me if you want some. I may get the minis so nobody has to worry about getting cooties.

They also have great pineapple paste cakes, which tissue (where is she?) told us about. I'm not as big a fan of their custard tarts, even though they have a variety. Crust is not flaky and the egg is too eggy and not delicate for my taste. Lots of other nice pastries.

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

The moon is bright and round for 3 nights in a row out here in Davis, California. Welcoming the moon, appreciating the moon, chasing the moon... all done. If I had a Kee Wah moon cake, that would have been fantastic. I miss that place. I have been a long time fan and used to live a few blocks away from their Monterey Park bakery right on Garvey Ave. There is nothing like it in the Sacramento vincinity.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I'm sorry hzrt8w. How sad.

I know I am late (and I have had my share of mooncakes this month), but I haven't been in the Bay Area in a month now (due to some activities here) and I thought I would share some with Kee Wah deprived folks up north.

Okay I'm back to work.

--edit spelling

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

I had some leftover Sheng Kee brand mini mooncakes. Since they have an expiration date, and since I knew they wouldn't be eaten soon, I froze them. there was a box of mixed ones (yum!) and a box with 'pineapple paste' (so-so) ones.

This morning I wanted something sweet with a second/third cup of coffee and decided to try a moon cake. I took one of the pineapple ones out of the freezer and stuck it in the m'wave, timed it for a minute -- but meant to take it out in about 20 seconds when it would be thawed. Well -- it went the full minute and was kind of swollen when I took it out. And HOT! So I let it cool for a moment and took a bite. Wonderful!!! Not the bland taste as when room temperature. Pineapply moist and some parts were chewy where the sugar bubbled. Really good!

I will nuke them again! And again---------

So I let it cool for a moment and took a bite. Wonderful!!!  Not the bland taste as when room temperature. Pineapply moist and some parts were chewy where the sugar bubbled. Really good! 

I will nuke them again! And again---------

Chinese 'Smores?

I wonder when they will catch on to deep-frying them at temple fairs. THAT might make then edible!

I tried some interesting moon cakes last week. An acquaintance brought them from Taiwan. Mocha-flavored with bits of dried fruit. These were definitely not something I'd like to try again. I much prefer the more traditional ones with egg yolk. The other half of the moon cake box had something like Japanese sweet mochi filled with various flavored jams. The kids at the party loved those.

• 1 month later...

I just past by Eastern Bakery on Grant in San Francisco yesterday. They offered their left over "five nuts" mooncakes for free sampling to the tourists. :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

whoa this is a really late reply, what, 2 months after mid-autumn festival had passed...

funny i find a mooncake thread here; a box (of 4 mooncakes) is beside be on the dining table. mooncakes are real treats--too bad i can't have them everyday or else my skin will break out. :( moving on...

i prefer lotus seed mooncakes with double yolks, especially the ones from maxim's in hong kong -- the ones in a silver tin. it's so rich and delicious! :) kind of expensive, though...

i've also tried these mooncakes with black filling (black lotus? black mongo? i don't know...) and squash seeds, but without eggs. scrumptious as well.

• 7 months later...

When I went out to water the lawn tonight, I noticed the big round (almost full) moon hanging above the horizon (it's 10:00 pm where I am). Arrr....

2 more months... just two more months to wait.

Let's kick up this old thread again! (mudbug... you got competition now! :laugh: )

May be I should try some ice-skin Moon Cake this year. Is this a fad like the boba milk tea? Or is there really something in ice-skin Moon Cakes that would attract you to buy them over and over again every year?

This year I'll be making jelly mooncake, shanghai mooncake, ping pei mooncake and teochew spiral mooncake. Anyone wants to join me?

Wow... I never thought we can make moon cakes at home. It's a big step!

Wull, I've been spoilt with homemade mooncakes ever since my mom learnt to make it 25 years ago. Homemade filling and all. To our taste preference. Remember my horror story? However, I'll only be making the traditional one if I've plenty of time on my hands. And I probably won't be making the filling myself if I can't find a willing assistant to do all that stirring.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

When I went out to water the lawn tonight, I noticed the big round (almost full) moon hanging above the horizon (it's 10:00 pm where I am).  Arrr....

Yes...the moon is unusually large and bright over here too. I noticed it while walking my girls home from chinese tuition classes last night, and I was pointing out to them that it wasn't a full moon yet.

Edited by Tepee (log)

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

This year I'll be making jelly mooncake, shanghai mooncake, ping pei mooncake and teochew spiral mooncake. Anyone wants to join me?

We've been thinking about making trad pandan/lotus flavored ones... if I can only find where I packed the mold...

I love the teochew ones, but don't have a recipe. If you provide one, I'll join.

regards,

trillium

Wull, I've been spoilt with homemade mooncakes ever since my mom learnt to make it 25 years ago. Homemade filling and all. To our taste preference. Remember my horror story? However, I'll only be making the traditional one if I've plenty of time on my hands. And I probably won't be making the filling myself if I can't find a willing assistant to do all that stirring.

Wow, I've never heard of anyone making their own mooncakes. Is it difficult? Where do you get the mold?

Wow, I've never heard of anyone making their own mooncakes. Is it difficult? Where do you get the mold?

Here you go:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en...2+molds&spell=1

Anyone have a recipe for winter melon moon cake? Been looking for a while... TIA

Let's kick up this old thread again!  (mudbug... you got competition now!  :laugh: )

Nah... word has it that this place needed some recharging! The more lively discussions the better! :biggrin:

Edited by mudbug (log)

Here you go:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en...2+molds&spell=1

Anyone have a recipe for winter melon moon cake? Been looking for a while... TIA

Thanks. Check out those moon cookie molds! I'd love to make these for Xmas gifts. Sure beats fruitcake, that's for sure!

Re: winter melon moon cakes, are you talking about Lo Pah Beng ("Wife Cakes")?

Yes. Common English names: "Concubine's Cakes" or "Wife's Cakes"

"Lao Po Bing" is actually more common to find regarding spelling

winter melon filling (Dong gwa yung)

Reports say the filling tends to be much better made in New York than in San Francisco. Really just looking for a recipe for the filling, not with additions such as candied citron, nuts, bean, etc.

Yes. Common English names: "Concubine's Cakes" or "Wife's Cakes"

"Lao Po Bing" is actually more common to find regarding spelling

winter melon filling (Dong gwa yung)

Reports say the filling tends to be much better made in New York than in San Francisco. Really just looking for a recipe for the filling, not with additions such as candied citron, nuts, bean, etc.

I've used Martin Yan's recipe for filling and I thought it was pretty good. Just subsitute candied winter melon for the stuff he uses. For the pastry I like the recipe Tepee suggested.