• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bagels in LA

JFLinLA

We were discussing the upcoming Jewish High Holidays on the Special Occassions board and I got to thinking about bagels. To specify, bagels are different than bread. In my opinion, the crust should be a bit crispy and the inside should be dense and chewy. Furthermore, let's be clear about real bagel flavors. Water, egg, onion, poppy, sesame, rye, and pumpernickel are legitimate bagel flavors. Berry and jalapeno are not.

I used to get bagels and I & Joy before they sold out and then closed. Now, I can't find decent ones.

Where do you get yours?

In trade, I'll tell you where to get the best prices on great lox, whitefish and cod if you're having a big event.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Brooklyn bagel is good -- if I happen to be in the area or my brother is coming over but, on a Sunday morning it's a bit out of the way from my westside digs.

Who else.

Brooklyn bagel is good -- if I happen to be in the area or my brother is coming over but, on a Sunday morning it's a bit out of the way from my westside digs.

Who else.

I like Brooklyn Bagel. Some like the big doughy bagels from Goldsteins. They are good for supporting a meaningful sandwich.

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.

look jfl, you're in la. get over the bagels already and serve corn tortillas (you can't imagine how long i've waited to tell somebody that).

:biggrin: And where would you obtain these tortillas, Russ?

Russ -- hey, I grew up here and I remember the great Jewish deli's in and around Fairfax. I've had bagels in NY and I've had them here and we can do good bagels.

Hollywood -- Grand Central Market is the best, easiest place for you and I to pick them up at lunch.

Hollywood -- Grand Central Market is the best, easiest place for you and I to pick them up at lunch.

Sounds right, JF. I thought Russ might have some secret place where we could buy them freshly hand made.

Is no one going to mention Western Bagels out on Sepulveda? They're hot and fresh, you can pick them up at 2am , and if you avoid the Cali bastardization of jalapeno and sundried tomato you can pick up a nice onion, poppy seed, or egg bagel and be rather happy.There's a small outlet over in Burbank next to the old Warner's lot on Hollywood Way, and it's a decent fix for Sat/ Sun. morning bagel cravings.

Btw the best handmade tortillas besides Grand Central is La Luz del Dia at the end of the Olvera St. right near the Plaza. The carnitas and nopalalitos are pretty good too. :smile:

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Is no one going to mention Western Bagels out on Sepulveda? They're hot and fresh, you can pick them up at 2am , and if you avoid the Cali bastardization of jalapeno and sundried tomato you can pick up a nice onion, poppy seed, or egg bagel and be rather happy.There's a small outlet over  in Burbank next to the old Warner's lot on Hollywood Way, and it's a decent fix for Sat/ Sun. morning bagel cravings.

Thanks for chiming in. I haven't had Western Bagels in a while and I seem to remember it was because the outside didn't have that good crunch I look for. Is my memory wrong?

And, since I promised, if you need a lot of smoked fish get it at 3-Star in Factory Place off of Alameda in the industrial area of downtown. Most of you pros probably get your stuff there wholesale but they will sell over the counter to the public with the following provisos:

- Call at least 1 day in advance - 2 is better. I think they say "Ocean Beauty" when they answer the phone now but it's the same place.

- Cash only, no checks or credit cards

- They have minimums -- you have to get a whole side of lox (generally around 3#), 10 lb. minimum of whitefish and they're whole (about 3 fish = 10 pounds), and 5 pounds of BBQ cod.

I often get the whole side of pre-sliced lox if I'm having a brunch-type party. Even if I don't use it all, it keeps really well. For bigger parties I'll augment with the whitefish (they call them selkirks) and/or cod. It's all good with one note. If you show up and the only whitefish they have for you was previously frozen, don't take is and perhaps ask them to replace it with something else. They only did that once to me in all the years I've gotten stuff there. As the stuff defrosted in the refrigerator, it ended up sitting in the water of the melted ice crystals and got soggy.

The stuff is great and you can't beat the prices. They have other stuff too beside the lox, whitefish and cod. Call them and they'll fax you a list with their prices.

A friend of mine did her daughter's entire Bat Mitzvah from them.

Edited by JFLinLA (log)

I'm no bagel maven, but I find it hard to get excited about any bagels in L.A. Of the places mentioned, I agree Brooklyn Bagel and Bagel Nash on Wilshire are pretty good. I would add the Bagel Factory on Robertson, between Pico and the 10 Fwy. Now if you really want good bagels, you'll have to go to Montreal

As for smoked fish and other goodies if its a big order then call Russ and Daughters in NYC and have it shipped.

D

Why pay Russ & Daughters retail prices plus shipping when you can pay wholesale prices and no shipping at 3-Star . . . and it tastes great.

Simply put Jf. Quality is why. Being in food biz in LA I have tried smoked salmon and assorted other treats from many places and they all pale compared to Russ & D. IMHO. Homurus on Pico was excellent but alas they are gone. Cheaper aint always better.

D

David West

A.K.A. The Mushroom Man

Founder of http://finepalatefoods.com/

The bagel broker in LA is excellent. Ask for Jason, he's a really great guy.

Klinger

Where is this?

I think he's talking about the place at 7825 Beverly, and I agree the bagels are good. Parking is a hassle in the morning before work unfortunately.

Simply put Jf. Quality is why. Being in food biz in LA I have tried smoked salmon and assorted other treats from many places and they all pale compared to Russ & D. IMHO.  Homurus on Pico was excellent but alas they are gone. Cheaper aint always better.

D

D -- Sorry for any misunderstanding. While I've never enjoyed the goods from Russ', I've had lots of lox from all over, including in NYC while there and some stuff from Zabar's that someone sent to me last December. I think (and I have others who agree with me) that the stuff from 3-Star is great. It's not at all about sacrificing quality -- I don't do that for price. If you've tried their stuff and still disagree then we can just say, "Vive la difference." OK?

Jody

Edited by JFLinLA (log)

The bagel broker in LA is excellent. Ask for Jason, he's a really great guy.

Klinger

Where is this?

I think he's talking about the place at 7825 Beverly, and I agree the bagels are good. Parking is a hassle in the morning before work unfortunately.

Yes, this is the place Hollywood and Jf. Sorry about the delay. Great lox as remember as well!