• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How do you clean a sieve?

enthusiast

Someone must be reading my mind, because I need help getting wayward blackerry seeds out of my double mesh strainer. I don't have a spray attachment on my sink and the dishwasher isn't an option. I've tried a toothpick, but it's not working.

Any thoughts?

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I turn it upside down and whack it on the edge of the sink a few times.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Never tried the flame method.

Put warm water on the bristles of you dishwashing brush. Then squirt a little liquid detergent onto the brush. Scrub both sides of the mesh. Rinse. Yes, you sometimes have to do this more than once.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

Never tried the flame method.

Put warm water on the  bristles of you dishwashing brush.  Then squirt a little liquid detergent onto the brush.  Scrub both sides of the mesh...

...leave to soak for 3 min., then put in boiling water. worked for my m-i-l's age old sieve which before cleaning served well as a bowl. :raz:

wouldn't the flame method make the metal too brittle?

christianh@geol.ku.dk. just in case.