• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sezuan Cookery

Archana

:cool: I've ordered Sezuan Cookery by Fuschia Dunlop, it arrives tomorrow and i'm looking forward to trying out a few recipes. Anyone got the book and could suggest a few good ones to start with, success stories etc. I thought i'd practice on my friends who are coming to dinner at w/end.

Red cooked pork belly! Actually, you might want to spare your friends on that one, depending on how adventurous your friends are. Dunlop's recipe for Dan Dan Noodles is good, and won't offend anyone.

I've also made dry fried beef, and beef in fiery broth, and those turned out good, too.

This book has come up on other threads (search for "sichuan cookery" or just "fuchsia"), and I've cooked from it quite a bit. It's a definite keeper, mostly for the Sichuan dishes you haven't tried before.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Dan, Dan noodles will certainly try. Thanks for suggestions, Sezuan peppercorns relatively easy to find in london, not sure about the veg that was mentioned though. I've already tried pok marked mother chen's beancurd dish from recipe on internet, shocking name, but once you get past that a real gem of a dish.