• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hog jowls needed

In a separate post recently ReallyNice! talks about trying to find pork bellies for making bacon. That's easy compared to what I'm looking for: hog jowls for making guanciale. I tried A&J Meats; they don't carry them and aren't interested in looking. I checked the coolers at the Bellevue Uwajimaya's and they don't have them in stock. Due to language difficulties I'm not sure if I'll get what I want if I ask them (it was a comedy of errors when I asked for sake lees at Uwajimaya a while back; they had them in stock but tried to sell me a dozen other things because they called them something slightly different and we didn't understand each other's accents). Anyway, where else could I go for hog jowls?

Are there any butcher shops on Beacon Hill or in the CD? I think of jowls as being associated with black American soul food and suspect that a butcher used to catering to the black community might be able to get you some jowls.

Incidentally, they sell the Niman Ranch guanciale at Delaurenti. I have some in the fridge but haven't tried it yet.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Are there any butcher shops on Beacon Hill or in the CD?  I think of jowls as being associated with black American soul food and suspect that a butcher used to catering to the black community might be able to get you some jowls.

When I lived in the CD, I sometimes shopped at the Red Apple Market on MLK. They carried every part of the pig that I could possibly imagine, so I'd be very surprised if they didn't have jows available.

OK...so I just called them and they carry smoked hog jowls and can order fresh ones...

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

When I lived in the CD, I sometimes shopped at the Red Apple Market on MLK. They carried every part of the pig that I could possibly imagine, so I'd be very surprised if they didn't have jows available.

OK...so I just called them and they carry smoked hog jowls and can order fresh ones...

Excellent! I'll order some from them this week.

Niman Ranch does sell hog jowls ($9 for about 2 pounds, plus probably an arm and a leg for shipping). I'd much rather purchase locally.

Incidentally, they sell the Niman Ranch guanciale at Delaurenti. I have some in the fridge but haven't tried it yet.

That's good news, too. I've ordered the Niman Ranch guanciale a couple of times direct from their website and I love it.

Try the Butcher Shop in Ballard, if they don't have it in stock (usually the case except for a couple of cuts) they can order for you.

edit: usually the case for most cuts of pork. Also, The Butcher Shoppe is located at 1918 NW 65th, and can be reached at 783-0454.

Woo-hoo. OK, premature at this point, but still...

I talked to the meat man at Red Apple. He was quite friendly and did his best to be helpful but the bottom line is that he doesn't know anywhere to get fresh hog jowls. So just now I tried out the Col.'s suggestion, The Butcher Shoppe in Ballard. They didn't even bat an eye at the request. None in stock now but they promised to order some for next week.