• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

California Dish

MatthewB

it will be interesting to see how the new book is received. it is a memoir with recipes, not a cookbook. there is some truly amazing writing in it. and it is probably the most scandalous food book ever written. makes craig claiborne look like a shrinking violet.

it will be interesting to see how the new book is received. it is a memoir with recipes, not a cookbook. there is some truly amazing writing in it. and it is probably the most scandalous food book ever written. makes craig claiborne look like a shrinking violet.

I think this book will piss off a lot of people and make jerimiah some serious cash in the process.

Future Food - our new television show airing 3/30 @ 9pm cst:

http://planetgreen.discovery.com/tv/future-food/

Hope you enjoy the show! Homaro Cantu

Chef/Owner of Moto Restaurant

www.motorestaurant.com

it depends. i predict a firestorm in teh bay area. it's an odd book in that some of it is SO well written, but the overall effect is something different. i guess it depends on how much stomach you have for gossip. personally, i've got quite a lot, but this book tried my limits. and i'm saying that as someone who likes jeremiah a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally started reading it last night and stayed up much later than I should have. It's amazingly entertaining. Tower is a hell of a writer, all the more so because you never catch him working at it. Did I learn anything about food? Not sure. Do I believe everything he says? Hell no. Do I need his image of James Beard's bathrobe falling open, or Tower's comparison of Beard's penis size vs. hand size (hands win hands down)? Christ no. But I'd much rather read California Dish than any of the more sober works on Alice Waters, the food revolution, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you agree?

Tower's tell-all has them buzzing, by Shawn Hubler, is a preview of the soon to be released "California Dish: What I Saw (and Cooked) at the American Culinary Revolution." The book is "several degrees cattier than those of his predecessors . . .," (e.g., Bourdain, Reichl, etc.). If you can't wait for the book, check it out here.

From the Digest of the LA Times July 23 edition here.

Did Alice Waters really have anything to do with it or did Tower do it all?

So long and thanks for all the fish.

The book is released. I saw it in Barnes and Noble today.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

A review in the Sunday San Francisco Chronicle.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

For a potentially hot topic of discussion, I suggest the poisonously entertaining Jeremiah Tower memoir, CALIFORNIA DISH in which Tower, while taking credit for nearly every important innovation in "new" American cuisine (with some justification), does some neat ( and very compelling) hatchet work on the Alice Waters legend--and enthusiastically proves himself--yet again-- an intolerable prick. Which is to say I really enjoyed the book.

abourdain

I love that review, too.

To make it through former superstar chef Jeremiah Tower's memoir, the reader has to suspend disbelief and accept three basic premises:

1. Everything was his idea.

2. Any culinary and financial reversals weren't his fault.

3. Everyone wanted to sleep with him.

Yow.

Edited by tanabutler (log)

heh

I think I like Tony's review a helluva lot better. :wink:

As an aside --

T -- I'm reading Kitchen Confidential, which is, for all intents and purposes my introduction to you (even though you've been on the site for ages and ages, and yes I know who you are. I just haven't had exposure to your writing other than on eGullet.) Has anyone ever told you that they're your fan? Well, get used to it. I'm your fan. :unsure::smile:

Soba

I like this Amazon.com review:

[1 star] Mean, Bitter & Spiteful, July 27, 2003

Reviewer: A reader from San Francisco, CA USA

The headline says it all. This is a bitter memoir filled with spite for those whom Tower believes have deprived him of proper credit. His remarks about Alice Waters are mean-spirited and vile. It's all about Tower-- me!me!me! To which I would only add: mean!mean!mean!

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

The following comes from the Barnes & Noble online listing for California Dish:

People who bought this book also bought:

The Apprentice: My Life in the Kitchen Jacques Pepin

Running with Scissors: A Memoir Augusten Burroughs

Living History: Hillary Rodham Clinton

Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly Anthony Bourdain

Cook's Tour: Global Adventures in Extreme Cuisines Anthony Bourdain

Did you ever play along with Sesame Street when that song came on: "One of these kids is not like the others; one of these kids just doesn't belong..." ?

Did you ever play along with Sesame Street when that song came on: "One of these kids is not like the others; one of these kids just doesn't belong..." ?

Pepin, right?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

He's certainly had an interesting life, either way. And the book (so far) is fun.

On Chef Bourdain's point: from what I've read, Waters has been quite gracious about it all. I suspect she'll come out of it looking as good as ever.

(edited for typos)

Edited by malcolmjolley (log)

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com