• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 2001 Falesco Vitiano

futronic

A blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot.

Served with a grilled rib-eye.

Dark ruby red to a punk/violet rim. Lots of thin legs. Aromas of cherry, chocolate, alcohol, bramble, and raspberry. Fresh tasting, a little tart. Medium-bodied with cranberry/cherry fruit. Short, dry finish. A second bottle opened showed much better with more pronounced chocolate and dark fruit on the palate. First bottle - 86 points, second bottle - 88 points.

Thanks for the TN.

Interesting to see that you rank the same bottles differently and to enjoy the second one more.

I believe that drinking a wine, rather than just tasting it, will teach you the most.

Any food with them ?

I had a bottle of the Merlot Unbria 2001 by Falesco. Amazing work by the master. Though the nose is still closed, the mouth developed into a perfect balance between Syrupi fruits, spices and oak. Chapeau !

regards

Andre

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

The bottle variation on this wine is incredible. I have never seen such a commercially successful wine with such a severe problem in this regard. Futonic's tasting note is the same that I see from everyone - various bottles change dramatically.

This is a problem they should deal with.

Andre,

Yes, I had a nice rib-eye steak grilled rare with it. There was a clear difference in the quality of the two bottles.

My understanding is that the Marquis Philips Shiraz and Cab are other wines that have a lot of bottle variation.

You beat me to it futronic. The MP wines have almost as amazing a bottle variation problem. And, I can't remember, but doesn't the Casterno Solera (sp?) have the same problem too?

I found the few bottles of this wine that I have had so far to be disappointing based on my expectations from fellow posters' comments about it being really good (especially for the money). I think I rated my 'best' bottle of this at like 83-84.

The Casterno Solera had more than just bottle variation. There was a huge kafuffle if you recall about there being different blends altogether targeted towards US and European markets.

Hopefully the few bottles of MP Shiraz I have are of good quality. I didn't lug them back from the US for nothing! :p