• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Argentinian steakhouse fare

I'm planning on making some nice grilled steaks with chimichurri sauce. I'd like to make some sides that complement the South American flavor of this dish, but I'm not exactly sure what the traditional accompaniments are. For a starch, potatoes seem to be the most logical choice, but prepared how? And what about a vegetable? Your suggestions need not be extremely "authentic," but just ideas for what would complement the beef.

Thanks!

So you are making an asado - that is an Argentine BBQ basically...

At home we used to have baked potatoes in foil or mash to go with the steaks - apart form that a big green salad, some sliced onions with tomatoes and corn on the cob. If you wanted a mayonnaisy type thing, you can make some ensalada Rusa, which is potato and carrots cubes with peas and pimentos dressed in mayo.

To make it even more authentic you can also grill up some chorizos (sausages) to start and serve those with a provoleta, or grilled provolone cheese sprinkled with some oregano.

For dessert, crepas con dulce de leche, make up some crepes in advance and at the time of dessert fill them with dulce de leche, you don't have to make it, from a jar is good...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

ensalada Rusa, which is potato and carrots cubes with peas and pimentos dressed in mayo.

This is great, the versions I've had also include cubed beets.

I've also had it with tuna mixed in. Beats your ordinary potato salad any day of the week.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

ensalada Rusa, which is potato and carrots cubes with peas and pimentos dressed in mayo.

This is great, the versions I've had also include cubed beets.

I've also had it with tuna mixed in. Beats your ordinary potato salad any day of the week.

Yes, there are so many versions, some also add green beans, lima beans, corn, anything that is small or can be cut small - every family has their own version - I make a few different ones, but the basic is always my favourite...

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

sandra,

You describe almost to a T the wonderful meal we had the other night at a local Argentinian (/Italian, the owners are a married couple with two heritages) restaurant in Northampton, MA.

While we looked over the menu we munched on rolled flatbread dipped in chimichurri sauce and sipped some Argentinian wine (an Alamos pinot noir and a cabernet/malbec blend). The menu stated that all of the beef was imported from Argentina. I ordered the sirloin strip and my husband ordered the skirt steak.

The steaks were perfectly grilled -- char on the outside, medium rare inside -- and delicious. Alongside were tossed greens with tomatoes and red onions, in a well seasoned dressing. No other sides, and we didn't miss them a bit.

For dessert we ordered Panqueques -- crepes with dulce di leche. They were sublime. Light and crispy on the outside, they had just come from the pan and the whipped cream garnish was melting into them. The dulce di leche was sweet and delicious.

I almost don't want to eat there again because I'm afraid it could never again be that good :blink:.

The menu stated that all of the beef was imported from Argentina.

Interesting. A little off topic, but William Grimes today in the NY Times reviews an Argentine steakhouse and points out that imports of Argentine beef into the US are banned due to hoof and mouth disease. The NY restaurant was serving "Argentine style" grass fed beef from Australia. I'm pretty sure the Wall Street Journal had an article a few months ago that said all the so called Argentine beef sold in the US comes from Australia and maybe passes through Buenos Aires on a ship, if its lucky.

This is not a wildly original idea, and it's sort of hit or miss, but sometimes for menu ideas I check out menupages.com. Menu items are sometimes vaguely described, but I get ideas that are helpful. I think there are some NY Argentinean restauarnts listed by category.