• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where are the Indian restaurants

tommyf

No one has mentioned going north of NYC, but White Plains is not that remote from Manhattan or the Bronx even via Metro North.  Bengal Tiger has been around for a good number of years and IMHO surpasses what I've tried in Manhattan.  Check them out at www.bengaltiger1.com where you'll find reviews and menus with prices as well as descriptions.

Could you point out some of the specialities of bangla cuisine that Bengal Tiger serves ?

I looked at the menu on the 'web , but did not pay too careful an attention - For an ethnic restaurant in the 'burbs to attract clients from the city or outside its catchment it has to serve some authentic signature dishes -- 90% of the bangladeshi run/chef/managed restaurants in NYC do not dare to even serve a maacher-jhol -- a staple in Bengal (both east & west)

Edited by anil (log)

anil

• 2 weeks later...
Having just moved over from the UK were the are four of five Indian Restaurants in every town, I am amazed by how few there are in NY state. Manhattan has a fair few but outside this there seem to be be very few. Is this the case or am I looking in the wrong places.

My love of spicy food is massive so if anyone could reccomend any other types of food that they reckon NY does well ( preferably ones that serve beer or wine) I'd be really interested

In Manhattan, I recommend Madras Cafe on 2nd Av. between 4th and 5th for consistently good South Indian vegetarian fare. Having never been to the UK, I'm guessing that it's inferior to good South Indian places there, but it's dependable and chef-owned, and if you ask for extra hot peppers, you'll be treated seriously. I generally ask for the fresh green ones to be added to my dosa.

Better yet, though, I recommend the Jackson Diner in Jackson Heights, Queens.

Michael aka "Pan"

I would recommend the numerous restaurants and food and spice stores along Lexington Avenue from 28-25th streets. There are both sit down and take out restaurants, and food from assorted regions. You can get a wonderful meal and great prices over there.

As Pan mentioned... Jackson Diner is quite impressive and in Manhattan my absolute favorite is Havali. The chicken chat lays down an entire boatload of colors on your tongue while the Bombay liver is rich, earthy and totally satisfying!!

Give them a try.

Pongal is very good. Also there is a new place between lexington and park called Chennai Garden, which was excellent. I have only been to the vegetarian places. But the others in the area that serve meat as well are supposed to be good too. I love going to Kalustyans and to the smaller more hole in the wall shops to look at the different things to buy.

• 1 month later...