• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's the best franchise/chain restaurant?

Quite a few of the UK mid-market restaurant chains do a good job, especially when you compare them with what came before.

Pizza Express and its descendants (Cafe Pasta, Zizzi, Ask, Est! Est! Est!, Strada) are not stunningly original, and can be annoying in their ubiquity, but I've always enjoyed them. I especially like the 'scalability' of meals there. The ability to have a range of types of meal, ranging from just a coffee, through pizza and mineral water, to a starter, main, dessert and coffee in an atmosphere that's generally not tacky and can be very pleasant is a real plus. (Although the newer, underground aircraft-hangar style Pizza Expresses are pretty awful compared to the charming old high street ones.) For what it's worth, my favourite of all these chains is Strada, which I think is in a league of its own, both in terms of decor (stylish dark wood interiors) and product (speck pizzas, free bottled water).

The nearest parallels to these mid-market pizza chains that I ate in when I lived in the US, such as California Pizza Kitchen, felt much tackier in decor as well as lower in food quality (despite the fact that the quality of the best pizza was much higher.)

Panera Bakery and Cafe is consistantly very good. Breads are much better than the average deli. The sandwiches and soup are excellent. Salads are just average. They are a five hundred plus location restaurant chain based out of Minnesota.

GoodEater

Vivo per mangiare!

I love In-N-Out and Pollo Loco...does Taco Cabana have more than 50 locations? We used to get big ol' plates of food and 99-cent margaritas before choir when I was in college. Nothing like going to choir a little tanked...it improves the experience considerably. :cool:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

I think we have Red Robin's out here in So Cal?

What about Islands? I do like their soft tacos, good burgers, I love the fries.

Hamburger Hamlet ain't what it used to be but it's still not bad for the price -- Onion Soup Fondue - yummmmm.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

As further validation for your choice, how about this? Julia Child moved out to Santa Barbara, California  (from Boston to retire in the warmth) and said in an interview, "I do love that In and Out burger!" :cool:

Fun OT Julia Child story:

My father is a member of the National Academy of Arts and Sciences. At one of their annual meeting/dinners Julia Child was made a member. Needless to say, the caterer (who was not told she would be in attendance) was in complete apoplexy. Personally came out to greet her, discuss the food, etc. Among the few things she said to him was something along the lines of: "what kind of meat is this we're eating?" I can only imagine he went home and slit his wrists after that night.

--

I'll vote for Quizno's, too. I was surprised at how good the Tuscan chicken sandwich was, with nice bread/fillings.

And the Back Yard Burger chain -- http://www.backyardburgers.com/. Just had a bacon cheeseburger there the other day. The lemon chicken sandwich is good, too.

Did anyone mention Steak N Shake? http://www.steaknshake.com/ The chicken melt sandwich rocks, and so do the cheese fries. The chili's not bad either -- Cincinnati style (five-way or three-way).

Lenny's is another good one for cold subs -- the chicken salad has big chunks of chicken, and it's always nice and fresh. No letting the chicken salad sit overnight in the walk-in. http://www.lennyssubshop.com/menu.htm

Hmm, I seem to be on a chicken kick today.

Although it is not quite up to the 50 unit measure, Potbelly Sandwich Works is very good (just had the Wreck tonight - Ham, Turkey, Roast beef on a toasted roll). THey have locations in DC, Chicago, Michgan and Wisconsin.

And they have the best peanut butter and jelly sandwich I have ever had outside of my own kitchen.

Bill Russell

Panera Bread doesn't sit well with my boyfriend and me because the one time we went there, I asked if I could get no onions on my sandwich and they said no.  :blink:

This is too bad. Perhaps it was a franchise store or just one rude empolyee. Try another store or go back and speak to the owner/general manager about your concerns. I don't work for them or anything I just hate to see a whole chain disparaged because of one bad experience.

GoodEater

Vivo per mangiare!

Maybe I will go back, but my boyfriend didn't like it either. The sandwiches are too specialized...we kinda go for the "make your own" type thing, like Subway. Quiznos is good with making sure you want everything on it that is offered. I'm not a fan of shredded lettuce though. But they don't say no when you ask for none. :biggrin:

And the Back Yard Burger chain -- http://www.backyardburgers.com/.  Just had a bacon cheeseburger there the other day.  The lemon chicken sandwich is good, too.

Lenny's is another good one for cold subs -- the chicken salad has big chunks of chicken, and it's always nice and fresh.  No letting the chicken salad sit overnight in the walk-in.  http://www.lennyssubshop.com/menu.htm

I definitely agree with these suggestions -- BYB and Lenny's are both excellent choices. I have yet to have bad food at either place... Lenny's is especially good (and I quite agree -- the chicken salad is excellent)!

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Am I the only one that watches "Cucina Amore", the Carrabbas' founders cooking show, on PBS?  I love to watch those guys - they crack me up.

I really enjoyed the show when it was on here. Their mama (one of 'em's mama anyway) is a hoot - you look at her and are expecting the Italian accent, etc., and she comes out with this broad Texas Hill Country drawl. :laugh:

Unfortunately, I don't think any of what they do translates through to the franchised version of Carrabba's - I was expecting it to be decent-to-good fern bar stuff, on the level of Maggiano's, but was disappointed.

(Maggiano's would be a good chain candidate if they fit the 50-location thing, but I think they're only up to about 28.)

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I shoulda figured you'd know exactly how far north they get. :wink:

What is the deal with the regional focus of this chain anyway? In DC there's nothing like this, and it's not like we have Joisey Greek diners to take their place. There are a few places that try...Bob and Edith's, Tastee Diner...but if I can't have Jan's House in Greensboro, NC I want me some Waffle House instead.

obChains: I should admit that I stop at Burger King on the road occasionally, for the purposes of consuming a BK Veggie:shock:  :rolleyes:

There's a Waffle House at the exit just south of Potomac Mills, in Dumfries. As far as I know that's the closest one to DC.

Has anyone mentioned the pork chops? They have really good pork chops. *mmmm*

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

Am I the only one that watches "Cucina Amore", the Carrabbas' founders cooking show, on PBS?  I love to watch those guys - they crack me up.

I really enjoyed the show when it was on here. Their mama (one of 'em's mama anyway) is a hoot - you look at her and are expecting the Italian accent, etc., and she comes out with this broad Texas Hill Country drawl. :laugh:

Unfortunately, I don't think any of what they do translates through to the franchised version of Carrabba's - I was expecting it to be decent-to-good fern bar stuff, on the level of Maggiano's, but was disappointed.

(Maggiano's would be a good chain candidate if they fit the 50-location thing, but I think they're only up to about 28.)

never seen the cooking show, also haven't been in maggiano's.

i do think carraba's is pretty good, though.

you think maggiano's does stuff better? hmm.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

And the Back Yard Burger chain -- http://www.backyardburgers.com/.  Just had a bacon cheeseburger there the other day.  The lemon chicken sandwich is good, too.

Did anyone mention Steak N Shake?  http://www.steaknshake.com/  The chicken melt sandwich rocks, and so do the cheese fries.  The chili's not bad either -- Cincinnati style (five-way or three-way).

Lenny's is another good one for cold subs -- the chicken salad has big chunks of chicken, and it's always nice and fresh.  No letting the chicken salad sit overnight in the walk-in.  http://www.lennyssubshop.com/menu.htm

Hmm, I seem to be on a chicken kick today.

i've heard both these places are decent. gonna hafta try them when i get a chance.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

you think maggiano's does stuff better?  hmm.

Carrabba's struck me as overly greasy, really salty, and underspiced all at the same time - not a problem I've had at Maggiano's.

you think maggiano's does stuff better? hmm.

I found out earlier on this thread that Carrabba's was sold to the Outback people. The guys you see on PBS don't own it anymore. The first Carrabba's here (Houston, their home town) was great. Then, as they started to expand, the results were spotty. What happened after they were sold, I haven't a clue.

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I'm not sure how many stores they have now, but I really like Palomino..which I believe, started in Seattle. I've only been to one, but several times and everything has been good about it...reasonable prices, really really good food, great service, and lovely environment.

I'll go along too, with all the Quizno fans! Wow, I didn't realize you could get such a great sandwich at a chain place! Another good thing about moving from N. to S. CA! And one thing I must admit I am missing down here in the desert....oh..make it two things....Jamba Juice (my all time favorite) and Hi-Tech burrito.....man, I miss those things! There's a Jamba Juice in Palm Springs, but I want my daily fix!

• 2 weeks later...

just checked out the website for palomino.

whoa, they do bring newfound respect for a chain restaurant from me.

a menu i would say is significantly better than any chain italian i've seen.

site is well presented visually.

if menu and decor is similarly situated, i do think they would be my winner.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

I've only been to Outback once (in Parkersburg, WV), and was sorely disappointed.  I thought it was gonna be all fun, with no rules- just right!  But the steak was pretty mediocre.  I was all psyched for the blooming onion, too: it turned out to be a gummy mess.  Ick.  I couldn't believe it: television has never lied to me before!

truthfully, i'm not so sure how uniform outback's procedures are.

here in the philly area, the cherry hill one is the one i've always gone to, and it's consistently solid.

been to the jenkintown one once though, and it wasn't as good.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

My chain faves are:

Olive Garden (i KNOW, it's not REAL italian food, but good food just the same)

Cracker Barrel (when i'm 'down' south) they have one of the best breakfasts , and for some reason, it just tastes good.

maybe cause I'm not cooking, or cleaning up!