• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Beef Ribs

fifi

When I was a kid about 50 years ago, my grandfather would often pick up BBQ from Otto's (Houston) on a Saturday. He always brought me some beef ribs, telling me that they were brontosaurus ribs. (I was on the leading edge of the dinosaur craze.) There is even a picture of me somewhere gnawing on this huge rib. I don't think I have seen a well BBQed beef rib in years. And, I don't think I have seen anything in the market other than short ribs. What ever happened with that? Am I just missing something? Have any of you smoking fiends ever done beef ribs?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

I've seen beef ribs up here, though I haven't bought them lately. They're just so large, and there's something so primitive about picking up such large bones and gnawing on them in the presence of others, regardless of how tasty they are.

You have to have several very hungry people to roast a slab of them.

My family gravitated to pork ribs because the meat-to-bone ratio was so lopsided. Beef bones never seemed to have the meat on them to justify the trouble of BBQ'ing and then gnawing on them.

More pork bang for the buck, so to speak. :smile:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

...and there's something so primitive about picking up such large bones and gnawing on them in the presence of others...

That is what was so much fun!

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Kalbi. Grilled Korean short ribs.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Well, just ask the butcher to cut them down. Or use a hacksaw. :smile:

Beef ribs are great.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I smoke beef ribs occasionally fo a special at my store (fink's funky chicken and ribs...see NJ board)

My regulars go nuts for them, although they are tough to sell because of the price/size/fat ratio.

They are delicious tho

fink

The best part of the Guiniea Pig? The Cheeks! Definately the cheeks!!

Well, just ask the butcher to cut them down. Or use a hacksaw. :smile:

Beef ribs are great.

I've seen pictures in Korean cookbooks of short ribs that have meat on them. Ours are nekkid, scraped bare, only worth a caveman experience.

You buy the whole pack of ribs or not at all.

Pork is better.

I've seen pictures in Korean cookbooks of short ribs that have meat on them. Ours are nekkid, scraped bare, only worth a caveman experience.

Go to an Asian supermarket/butcher. All of the ones here have fabulous meaty, fatty beef ribs. They are also a lot cheaper than at a "regular" butcher/grocery.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I remember the ribs having quite a bit of meat on them. Maybe not the same ratio to bone as pork but certainly enough to. When my grandpa brought the ribs in he would always say... "The brontosaurus ribs were extra meaty today."

Makes me wonder if there is a lot of variation in brontosaurs.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

I remember the ribs having quite a bit of meat on them. Maybe not the same ratio to bone as pork but certainly enough to. When my grandpa brought the ribs in he would always say... "The brontosaurus ribs were extra meaty today."

Makes me wonder if there is a lot of variation in brontosaurs.

Actually, some producers trim them back rather severely, right down to between the bones. They only cost about $1 a lb that way, but there's hardly any meat on them.

It's an uncommon item around here. I see it occasionally in a market in the poorer section of a poorer local town.

We don't have any Asian butchers around here.

Edited by Katherine (log)

I smoke beef ribs occasionally fo a special at my store (fink's funky chicken and ribs...see NJ board)

My regulars go nuts for them, although they are tough to sell because of the price/size/fat ratio.

They are delicious tho

fink

I am glad to know that the art is alive and well. So, do you have a problem getting them with a good deal of meat left on? I can see why beef ribs would be problematic for a commercial operation. They do take up a lot of room in a smoker for the number of servings coming out at the end. Maybe that is why I don't see them anymore.

We have a really good Asian grocery here that has a great butcher shop. That will be the first place I look. The only problem is that, for a while, the only smoking set-up I have is the Weber Smokey Mountain and I am having a hard time figuring out how to fit enough for several people in there.

Maybe the brontosaurus really is nearing extinction.

Edited by fifi (log)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Mmmm, I love beef ribs. I find, though, that I can only find short ribs at my local butcher shops; I have to go to the supermarket for the kind of beef ribs you're talking about.

• 3 months later...

Thanks for bumping this up, woodburner. Funny that you should do that. My nephew and I were just discussing this the other day.

I only made a couple of half hearted attempts to find them. If you do find them, please report back about the amount of meat on them. We seem to remember that the ribs we got already BBQ'd had at least 3/4 to an inch of meat on the bone, then whatever was between. They were probably custom cut for Otto's.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

fifi,

It has been awhile, but I faintly remember the Luther's BBQ chain in Houston running all you can eat specials on beef ribs. Now mind you, that has been a while, and I don't normally go to Luther's, and it's been even longer since I have been to Otto's...but it never hurts to ask. :biggrin:

Venado

I THINK all that Luther's has now is pork. I haven't been to Otto's in a long time either so I don't know about them. When I said up-thread that my grandfather used to bring them to me, you have to realize that is almost 50 years ago. :shock:

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

fifi,

Also, remember where we are at with the price of beef in our economy today...for once in a long while, cattle men are making money. Look at the price of what you are paying in the market. That is a result of the mad cow embargo in Canada a while back, and even though it has be lifted...the results are still being felt by the consumer buying beef, as well as restaurants. When the market falls...look for beef ribs making a come back. :wink:

Venado

Thanks for bumping this up, woodburner. Funny that you should do that. My nephew and I ....

We are parallel.

I can only procure beef ribs from a source that supplies IBP, that are the entire rib sawed in half and cyrovaced. Little meat, but when properly cooked, send me. :wub:

Best to buy the entire rib section and debone them, if you need a good rack. :biggrin:

In any event, beef ribs, when cooked properly supply such a fantastic taste and true flavor of beef, can send people like me into nirvana.

woodburner