• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: 1998 St. Innocent Seven Springs

Nevan

1998 St. Innocent, Seven Springs Vineyard (Willamette Valley, Oregon)

Younger purple rims, medium-hued brick-tinged ruby color. Sweet aromas of vanilla and leather hover above under-ripe red fruit and rose petal notes. Tart red cherry fruit flavor with a subtle sweet foundation that is nicely countered by a cranberry edge. Drying mouth feel with dusty tannins and ample acidity. Flavorful and pleasing but not deeply layered.

(Next morning the wine seemed remarkably unchanged. Note: Parker (Rovani) gave this wine a 94, and Spectator a 91. The group, composed of Oregon wine weenies, was surprised the wine showed so well. In my cellar I discovered there are two slightly different label versions. Holding the bottles up to the light, the wine color in one label version was clearly more red and the other more “orange.” We sampled one of the “redder” bottles. Makes me wonder . . .?)