• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where do I eat in Sonoma?

jeffperez62

I'll be in Sonoma 1st week of Oct. and I'm wondering where to go. I need 1 high end and 1 mid priced suggestion.......how about the surrounding areas such as Glen Ellen, Kenwood etc...

Edited by jeffperez62 (log)

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

I really enjoy The Girl and the Fig, on the square in Sonoma---nice cheese selection, flights of wine, charcuterie and interesting menu selections. Very pretty to sit out on the patio and enjoy the evening (if it isn't blazing hot!)

(edited to correct early-morning typo!...where's the coffee?)

Edited by chezcherie (log)

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

Recently opened and highly acclaimed is a little place called La Poste, on your left just before you enter the square. Little in that it has very few seats and requires reservations ahead of time due to frequent sell-outs.

I have not eaten there myself (too poor) but have had friends recommend it to me as they make their own pate which I always appreciate.

My budget has relegated me to some other local favorites: La Basque Boulangerie for morning pastries (although I think their coffee is mediocre) and The Red Grape for decent CPK-like pizzas. Of note: I have eaten twice at Della Santini (also on the square) and while I enjoyed it the first time, found it wanting on the second visit. Also recently opened, just off the square, is a well-reviewed tapas resaurant, Andalusia.

If you are around on the weekend, stop by and see me pouring at Gundlach Bunschu, my favorite Sonoma winery...

I highly recommend a drive to the coast, to the little town of Jenner, to eat at River's End restaurant. The drive is gorgeous, along the Russian River. Jenner is where the river meets the sea. It's a lovely place, and blessedly out of cell phone range.

The restaurant is just perfection. The food is local, organic, and matched well to Sonoma county wines. The owner is a gifted photographer who deeply loves his home, and his large scenic photographs adorn the restaurant walls.

The clam chowder is first rate, as was everything we had. Ask your server what's good—they know.

If you want to stay overnight, consider renting one of the little cabins at River's End, or splurge and stay in one of the many little houses up and down the river/coast via Jenner Inns and Cottages.

Sonoma can be loud and crowded, and our preference is to tour wineries in the day, and then retreat to a sanctuary at night. It's very romantic and out of the way, and well worth the drive.

River's End temporary website

i'll throw in a vote for Girl and Fig. the evening was quite enjoyable on the back patio. i don't remember what i had, but i remember enjoying it, and i recall the staff being very friendly.

also, there's a thai place around the square that was very nice for lunch. looking at yahoo, i'm thinking it was Rin's, on E. Napa street. again, there was outdoor seating.

and in an effort to continue jumping on a bandwagon, this time beachfan's, i'll second the restaurant at Sonoma Mission Inn. great views of the pool and grounds. a little pricey as i recall. good service on my one trip.

Thanks Figgirl......I have a reservation for your place on Oct. 9th. I hear very nice things about your place. (I really like your wine list) the web site looks great......see you soon!

If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How could you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!??

... River's End restaurant. ...The restaurant is just perfection. The food is local, organic, and matched well to Sonoma county wines. The owner is a gifted photographer who deeply loves his home, and his large scenic photographs adorn the restaurant walls.

The clam chowder is first rate, as was everything we had. Ask your server what's good—they know...

Wow. I'm ashamed to admit I've been driving right past that restaurant twice a week for years (we have a weekend home a little further up the road) but have never stopped. I just assumed it was another typical tourist restaurant. I will have to try it soon.

If I need to eat on that stretch of the road, I get fish and chips at Lucas (never the Tides) in Bodega and eat outside. Or an ice cream cone (never the food) at The Hot Dog Palace.

The best meal I've had in Sonoma was a couple of years ago at the restaurant at the Farmhouse Inn in Forestville. Wonderful food and wines, beautiful dining room, and outstanding service. We especially enjoyed their "rabbit rabbit rabbit" dish. It's a bit of a drive from downtown Sonoma, but if you're looking for something special, I think it's worth the trip.