• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

brunch down shore suggestions

lindacip

I will be staying this weekend in Bayhead at the Gables bed and breakfast. Would like suggestions on a brunch place not to far away. Grenville isn't an option my niece works there and i don;t like the stories i hear on food prep.

The Old Mill Inn i understand has been done over and is good. Any thoughts on that one?

I hit the Sunday brunch in Meritage about 2 years ago. It can get crowded this time of the year, but it one of the best down the shore for a brunch. Only about a 10-15 minute ride north of Bayhead.

Molly Pitcher has a nice brunch but is way too far from Bayhead - at least a 30 minute ride north.

I've heard some good things about Sisters in Spring Lake and that is close by too.

Old Mill Inn has been done over, but I think there has been some chef changes during the past year. Still a nice pick atmosphere wise.

I'll be down in the Pt. Pleasant Beach area, but dining much more casual - Tiki Bar sushi for me! :biggrin:

• 1 year later...

Can anyone tell me more about the brunch at the Molly Pitcher Inn, Meritage, and/or Old Mill Inn? We went to Meritage once a few years ago, but I don't remember much, except that it was pretty good.

My sister got sick this morning, so we had to cancel our Mother's Day brunch at Joe & Maggie's in Long Branch. I'm looking for something else in the Monmouth/Ocean County area that we could do to replace it in the next week or two. My preference is a Sunday buffet brunch, preferably less then $30/person.

I love the idea of a place like Rat's or LaCroix in Philly, but they're probably way too much to spend unless it's just my mom & I.

Joanna G. Hurley

"Civilization means food and literature all round." -Aldous Huxley

The brunch at the Molly Pitcher is an excellent if somewhat more formal (jackets required) affair. Although I haven't been in a while but I remember it being around $30-35 but I believe the reservations usually run around 3 weeks in advance or so.

I haven't been to the Old Mill since it was redone, so I can't really comment.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

Brunch at Molly Pitcher Inn was very good the few times I've been. I don't recall a "jackets required" policy, but there may be one (if so, I undoubtedly violated it). Expect an older, mature clientele. Very scenic space with great views of the Navesink River. I haven't been to Meritage for brunch, only for dinner, and find the place to be more about the scene than the food. Another option in the area is the Ocean Place Resort on Ocean Ave in Long Branch. I've been to their Sunday brunch a couple of times. Not as formal as the Molly Pitcher Inn, but comparable in selection and quality.