• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Remodeling Nightmares

vengroff

Beautiful countertops! What are you going to use as a backsplash above the store?

Regarding the spot lighting... I think if I had gotten them to install them towards the front, as I recommended above, then the WAC lights would not have been as necessary. Also, the WAC lights are much more expensive than the regular hi-hats and undercab lights, so keep that in mind.

Vengroff -- make sure you drill it into the electrician's head that you plan on mounting the undercab lights towards the front. They need to make sure there's enough slack to pull the wires that long and you'll need wire covers of the correct length to, um, cover the exposed wiring.

Vengroff -- make sure you drill it into the electrician's head that you plan on mounting the undercab lights towards the front. They need to make sure there's enough slack to pull the wires that long and you'll need wire covers of the correct length to, um, cover the exposed wiring.

Beautiful kitchen already!

Just a suggestion: Hold the under-cabinet lights under the cabinets to make sure that placing them forward will not make them too visible. During my kitchen-remodeling, I had to have the under-cabinet lights placed in the middle of the underside of the cabinets, not the front, because front-placement would have made the light fixtures easily visible to someone standing far (10 feet or so) from the cabinets.

It is indeed granite. The pattern is called butterfly, and comes from Brazil. Even within butterfly there is a great deal of variation. I would recommend to anyone considering granite that you be sure to go look at actual slabs and pick a specific one, rather than just choosing from samples in a showroom. We spent a good four hours at the stone yard looking at hundreds of slabs before narrowing it down to this one.

Behind the stove there will be stainless steel up to the hood.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

It looks stunning.

I'm jealous. I want a new kitchen. :sad:

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

I am shedding tears over the condition of your formerly beautiful wood floor. :sad:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I am shedding tears over the condition of your formerly beautiful wood floor. :sad:

Me too. It's going to have to be completely sanded down and refinished. The biggest gouges were made by the oven. They apparently rotated it and slid it around on the floor while hooking it up to the electric supply. The manufacturer seems to be aware of this potential problem, since the oven comes with a warning taped to it. It reads, in a very large font

TO PREVENT DAMAGE TO OVEN OR FLOOR
  • LEAVE OVEN ON SHIPPING BASE UNTIL READY TO INSTALL!
  • DO NOT LIFT OR MOVE OVEN BY DOOR HANDLE(S) OR CONTROL PANEL!
  • FOLLOW INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

The all-caps and exclamation marks are on the original. I did not add them when quoting it. I have saved this label in case the contractor makes a fuss about eating the cost of refinishing the floor.

The other gouges were made by the range. They slid it in and out of place several times before I came home and reminded them that they might want to attach the four rubber-tipped feet it came with. I knew about the feet because one of the guys had pointed them out to me a couple of days earlier when he unpacked the range. Sure enough, they were still sitting in the stryrofoam trays they came in.

MadVal, Seattle, WA

GDMFPOS!!!

The plumber was here today to hook up the sinks, icemaker, and range. Before he left, I tried out the sinks and noted that one of them had quite anaemic water pressure--certainly much less than we had in the old sink. He played with it a bit and said that was all the pressure that was in the pipes on that side of the kitchen. That was about 2pm. At 9pm, the guy who lives downstairs came home from a long day at work to find his kitchen flooded, with a steady flow of water coming from the ceiling. We had to turn it off at the meter coming off the main to get it to stop. I've left messages with the contractor and plumber, but don't expect to hear anything until the morning.

MadVal, Seattle, WA