• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery Stores?

tryska

When I was home recently for a wedding,  Publix is apparently moving into the Florida Panhandle in a big way.  They not only have a new store at Sandestin Beach resort,  but they have a big new store just north of the firestation in Seagrove beach,  (although Arvida would probably perfer if we refered to it as Watercolor).  So much for the little store at Blue Mountain Beach that I used to live behind.

Publix is moving aggressively everywhere in Florida. It puts up stores in places before the houses are even built! Robyn

Doesn't anybody recall the Blue Laws in Texas? You gotta wait till 6 p.m. on Sunday, people were not so holy, the law told them...give me a break...the people who made money on Sundays were those that bought some cases and bottles Saturday night!

Doesn't anybody recall the Blue Laws in Texas? You gotta wait till 6 p.m. on Sunday, people were not so holy, the law told them...give me a break...the people who made money on Sundays were those that bought some cases and bottles Saturday night!

Maybe sunday was the day to recover. When I spent a summer there in the 90s, there were still drive up liquor stores that sold drinks to go in plastic cups with straws and single beers in little paper bags. Everyone in the car could have an open drink except the driver. In fact the office I was working in had several bottles of single malt in bottom desk drawers for regularly scheduled 3:30 afternoon meetings. Come to think of it I've got a story about an city councilman in Alabama named Jimmy Dean (no joke) and the bottles of clear liquid he kept in his trunk.

By the way, Brunos in B'ham, Alabama has an upscale sister called Vincents resplete with its own sommelier and great produce. On the flip side of the scale, in addition to the filthy Winn Dixie and Piggly Wiggly, there was Western Market. Western meats were regulary expired and its produce looked like it was trucked in from California on the back of a pick up over a month before. But they had smaller stores (a great convenience) and sold single pieces of cake and generally had a good beer selection.

Bode

Has anyone been to the Durham co-op grocery store? I read about it awhile back, but do not know where it is or if it is worth it.

I know where it is, but I haven't been in there yet. It's on Chapel Hill Street.

If you take the Durham Freeway north from I-40, take the Chapel Hill Street exit. Make a right onto Chapel Hill Street at the top of the ramp. Go through a stoplight on the other side of the overpass; go up another block and go through a second stoplight, and it will be on about the second block on your left (before you get to the third stoplight.)

Has anyone been to the Durham co-op grocery store?  I read about it awhile back, but do not know where it is or if it is worth it.

I know where it is, but I haven't been in there yet. It's on Chapel Hill Street.

If you take the Durham Freeway north from I-40, take the Chapel Hill Street exit. Make a right onto Chapel Hill Street at the top of the ramp. Go through a stoplight on the other side of the overpass; go up another block and go through a second stoplight, and it will be on about the second block on your left (before you get to the third stoplight.)

Yes, I've been there a few times. I've even considered getting membership.

The reasons I chose not to were:

not entirely comfortable about parking in their parking lot (beside the store)

store looks chaotic/disorganized

some of the fresh produce doesn't look so fresh

That's pretty much it.

Foodie Penguin