• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery Stores?

tryska

Reasor's, Wild Onion, Pettys, and when I am in Texas - Central Market and and when I am home- Publix, and when I am in atlanta- Harry's, and when I am New Orleans - Whole Foods and Langensteins and Robert's.

I have very poor opinions of Albertson's, Winn-Dixie, Wal-mart and their Neighborhood markets.

We are getting a new market here in Tulsa that is supposed to be upscale. Don't know the name yet. Rumor it is a new company out of Bentonville.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Birmingham, and the larger cities in Alabama, have Bruno's. It's the more upscale cousin of Food World. Plenty of the average grocery items, the bakery is top notch (for a grocery chain), plus they have more of the harder-to-find products. It's the first place I saw Steen's syrup and Community coffee up here in the frozen nawth.

It's not quite Whole Foods, but it's as good as you can get in Alabama. They order for you too. If it's something really exotic that they don't they they will be able to move, you may have to buy the whole case, but that's OK if you are ordering a product you know. Not so great if you wanted to try something.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

In South La we have a family owned chain called Rouse's. They are large stores that usually go in and buy the property from a failed grocery (in my town it was a Delchamps) and redo it completely. They have a real bakery (no cakes from a bucket) a good selection of local seafood and great produce. They carry all of the usual and unusual local brands (including craft cheeses and local dairy milk and creole cream cheese). Huge wine selection at resonable prices and their deli is pretty heavy on the full meal to go thing. They have actual butchers who uncomplainingly do things like cut pork roasts for stuffing and bone chickens and ducks. They have fresh rabbit meat (which is getting harder and harder to find where it used to be as common as chicken when I was a kid). Better than a run of the mill chain and reasonably priced

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

• 2 weeks later...

Grew up a Kroger girl here in Atlanta, and that habit has been hard to break. I moved up to Vinings a couple months ago and was horrified by the K-Roger on 41, horrified! But the Publix around the corner on one of those Cumberland roads is quite good, one of the best chain groceries I've been to. I still make the trek over to Dekalb Farmer's mkt and Whole Foods, and am loving Harry's up on Roswell Rd., though I'm not allowed to go there often because I'll just stand there awestruck in the wine section and then buy like I don't have to pay rent.

Avoid Save-Rite like the plague, and have never ventured to one of those membership places.

hey! you are right by me!

the kroger on 41 is loads better than the kroger on delk tho. i use it for non-food and package food items when coming back fromt he gym (Crunch). I def prefer the Publix on cumberland. I'm moving from 41 to paces ferry in a couple months and am thrilled that publix is right there..kinda wish the eckerds was a walgreens tho.

Edited by tryska (log)

• 2 weeks later...
Ethnic markets: well, I don't know exactly what I mean. Where do you go for  Indian, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Middle Eastern, etc.? There aren't really any chains, are there? Or do you find what you need at Harry's?

If you're cooking anything Asian, I've always had good luck with the Hoa Binh supermarket on Buford Highway.

I am in search of a goot Mexican/Latin market. I live in Vinings and I've seen several promising ones on South Cobb - but when my mother was in town she checked them out and found them lacking. We were spoiled living in Texas for ten year, I guess. We may have the DFM, but we don't have Fiesta.

I need to be educated in the Harry's appeal. I know that they have everything, but honestly, while I could navigate the DFM with my eyes closed and find everything I need without having to backtrack, Harry's (at least the one up I-75) is a mystery to me. It is impossible to find anything, there is no rhyme or reason to the flow of the store, they'll have the same product in eight different places, but never the same brand... I truly wish it would become a WF where at least it might be a bid more orderly. I'm sure that if I took the time to get to know it, I'd learn to love the nonsensical layout - but for now, I'll stick to the DFM, Kroger, and WF.

*lol* well it's gotten better lately now that there are places you can make fast dashes from. the original harry's (pre-whole-foods) was like being at a carnival freakshow - you entered through one side, wound you way thru everything it had to offer, and came out the other side.

some of that still exists. your best bet to understand hte layout, is to follow the old freakshow route which takes you by produce first, and then into dry goods, then on into frozen, meat counter and seafod...through bakery, dairy, coffee....and past salad bar, ready to eat items. (i think)

new to the gullet- lots of ht's in the tidewater, va area-very big, shiny new places. can't stand farm fresh. everyone knows that food lion is the pits. there is a cool little groc - g.w. marketplace- that has a wonderful deli section and lots of cool foodie-type items. for any texans out there- the heb is the best, especially the marketplce in northwest san antonio. great produce and everything you couls ask for in a singles scene except a bar- but i know that no one would ever go to a store for that :rolleyes:

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the Triangle, NC and here are my faves grocery stores (chain)-

Harris Teeter if the usual place to shop but I'm getting disappointed with their fresh produce, especially the stuff that gets sprayed with water automatically. The food deteriorates quickly after I get it home.

Kroger sells better pork than HT and my closest branch sells a good range of "natural" foods (more than HT).

I shop at Wholefoods Market for my goat's yoghurt, fruit juice (they have the biggest selection) and most of my fish. I do not buy fresh fish at either HT or Kroger (ocassionally frozen but none fresh).

Costco gets an honorable mention even though my membership's expired. Their food quality, especially meat and fresh produce is superior to any grocery store I've visited in the area. In fact, during the time I had membership, most of what I bought was the food.

Foodie_Penguin

Welcome to eGullet, FP! Harris Teeter and all the other major grocery stores really do have sucky seafood. Produce is also hit or miss. I find the seafood and meat at Whole Foods quite acceptable, but very overpriced. Thus, when I have the time, I'll get seafood from Earps or Hieronymous. I'd get my meat from Cliff's in Carrboro, if I lived over that way.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

Welcome to eGullet, FP!  Harris Teeter and all the other major grocery stores really do have sucky seafood.  Produce is also hit or miss.  I find the seafood and meat at Whole Foods quite acceptable, but very overpriced.  Thus, when I have the time, I'll get seafood from Earps or Hieronymous.  I'd get my meat from Cliff's in Carrboro, if I lived over that way.

I love my seafood (penguin in my username is no coicidence) and I go over to Tom Robinson's in Carrboro when I can get organized enough on a Saturday morning.

I missed going to Cliff's Meat Market in Carrboro by a hair last time I was in Carrboro (going to Tom Robinson's, naturally).

Foodie_Penguin

• 5 months later...

For my everyday, I shop at Reasor's or Supertarget, although target has a limited selection. For more gourmet stuff and meats I go to Petty's. I use Whole foods and Akins for speciality items only. I avoid Albertsons and the Neighborhood Markets by Walmart, not a good enough selection, Albertsons is way over priced and just nasty, their seafood counters stink. And besides, I hate having to wait to pay or to have to check myself out at higher prices, I am doing their job for free. We have a new market, sort of like an Eatzi's, called Marketplace at Kingspoint. They are out of Rogers, Arkansas and are supposed to open a store in Chicago next. Lots of prepared foods, but they carry a bigger selection of Nueske's so I do not have to order it shipped in. Lots of higher end gourmet items, and a coffee bar that is not Charbucks. Their bread is a dissappointment, it is La Brea brown and sell. Oh well, can't have everything. Marketplace at Pinnacle Place in Rogers

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

I am surprised to read that most seem to favor Publix over Kroger. In Savannah, we have those, Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion and Wal-Mart. The Food Lions here are like everywhere: small, dirty, narrow-aisled and generally preferred by the toothless.

There is a Harris Teeter in Hilton Head, but that's 45 minutes away. I find their stores pleasant but expensive. Good wine selection, too. A few years ago they looked at Savannah and deemed us unworthy, so they would have to be much better to justify a 45 minute trip.

Piggly Wiggly varies greatly, as the newer stores are OK, but the older ones are like a trip back to the 70s, both in appearance and selection. It's the place to go if you need pig's ears, but somehow that makes me doubt the sushi counter. If it weren't for their cool name, I would dismiss them entirely.

Wal-Mart is pretty good for produce and staples, but the meat counter isn't very good and the seafood is worse. I know many people despise Wal-Mart as destroyers of the fabric of American life (fabric now made in China), but they always have frest cilantro, which in a small town makes up for the labor unrest in California.

Now the only real choices here: Kroger and Publix. My surprise at others' comments is that my experience here has been the oppposite. Publix are nice, clean and friendly, but their meat selection is dismal and more expensive than Kroger. I once asked for flank steak and was told they don't carry it. Where are they getting cows with no flank? Is it going to you people in "better" places, or maybe luxury hamburgers for the Atlanta crowd? Although Kroger has raised the price of this excellent cut of meat in the last couple years (to the point where you might as well get a strip steak, but that's another story), at least they have it. Contrary to another post, Kroger here always has "unimproved" pork and chicken, although you do have to pay attention lest you take home the version "enchanced with a solution."

Here's my biggest complaint with Publix: much of their produce is sold on sytrofoam trays wrapped in cellophane. It's not the synthetics that annoy me, although for the record I have nothing against, say, bamboo trays, wax paper and some glue from a tree that was not harmed in its extraction, but sometimes I don't want four zucchini or 1.23 pounds of sugar snap peas. Plus, even though their labor is non-union, it is apparently the job of someone to make sure that one of the five tomatoes so tantalizingly bulging under smell-proof shrink wrap is of suspicious quality. While no melon thumper, I like to see all six sides of the genetically cubic produce that I take home to my decidedly urbane family.

One comment on Ukrops. I was in one several years ago and they sold no alcohol (ethyl, not isopropyl, which while useful, seems to last longer on a per ounce basis). I was told this was because the owners didn't believe in the stuff. Is this true?

Edited by maf (log)

"Eat at Joe's."

- Joe

The Publix that we use does almost no pre-wrapping of produce. I do think that it depends on what the clientele expects---I've been to Publix stores that didn't have nearly as much variety or high-end stuff as ours does. Publix doesn't rely as heavily on injected meat as Kroger's does.

Of course, I usually just go to Dekalb...

Can you pee in the ocean?

One comment on Ukrops. I was in one several years ago and they sold no alcohol (ethyl, not isopropyl, which while useful, seems to last longer on a per ounce basis). I was told this was because the owners didn't believe in the stuff. Is this true?

That is correct about Ukrop's. They do not sell beer or wine. They're also closed on Sundays and sometimes have signs asking you to go to church. In other words, yes, I think they have something against alcohol.

For some Richmonders, the inability to shop on Sunday combined with the inability to stock our weekly beer allowance is a significant impediment to shopping at Ukrops. On the other hand, lots of people don't seem to mind. Nonetheless, I have, on more than one occasion, found myself looking for beer and wine in Ukrops before I realize that I'm not at Kroger.

One other thing about beer and Ukrop's stores: more often than not, their stores are located in a shopping center with a CVS drug store (which does sell beer and wine and is open on Sundays). I have been told that the Ukrops do this intentionally so that you don't have to leave the shopping center to get your beer.

That is true -- the Ukrops family is Southern Baptist. Their stores are closed on Sundays and they sell no alcoholic beverages. When I was a kid, I remember a huge sign in one of their stores that urged everyone to go to church on Sunday. I don't know if the signs still exist, but their ban on beer and wine remains.

When I was a kid, I remember a huge sign in one of their stores that urged everyone to go to church on Sunday. I don't know if the signs still exist ...

The signs are still in some, but not all, Ukrop's stores.

I am surprised to read that most seem to favor Publix over Kroger. In Savannah, we have those, Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion and Wal-Mart. The Food Lions here are like everywhere: small, dirty, narrow-aisled and generally preferred by the toothless.

There is a Harris Teeter in Hilton Head, but that's 45 minutes away. I find their stores pleasant but expensive. Good wine selection, too. A few years ago they looked at Savannah and deemed us unworthy, so they would have to be much better to justify a 45 minute trip.

Piggly Wiggly varies greatly, as the newer stores are OK, but the older ones are like a trip back to the 70s, both in appearance and selection. It's the place to go if you need pig's ears, but somehow that makes me doubt the sushi counter. If it weren't for their cool name, I would dismiss them entirely.

Wal-Mart is pretty good for produce and staples, but the meat counter isn't very good and the seafood is worse. I know many people despise Wal-Mart as destroyers of the fabric of American life (fabric now made in China), but they always have frest cilantro, which in a small town makes up for the labor unrest in California.

Now the only real choices here: Kroger and Publix. My surprise at others' comments is that my experience here has been the oppposite. Publix are nice, clean and friendly, but their meat selection is dismal and more expensive than Kroger. I once asked for flank steak and was told they don't carry it. Where are they getting cows with no flank? Is it going to you people in "better" places, or maybe luxury hamburgers for the Atlanta crowd? Although Kroger has raised the price of this excellent cut of meat in the last couple years (to the point where you might as well get a strip steak, but that's another story), at least they have it. Contrary to another post, Kroger here always has "unimproved" pork and chicken, although you do have to pay attention lest you take home the version "enchanced with a solution."

Here's my biggest complaint with Publix: much of their produce is sold on sytrofoam trays wrapped in cellophane. It's not the synthetics that annoy me, although for the record I have nothing against, say, bamboo trays, wax paper and some glue from a tree that was not harmed in its extraction, but sometimes I don't want four zucchini or 1.23 pounds of sugar snap peas. Plus, even though their labor is non-union, it is apparently the job of someone to make sure that one of the five tomatoes so tantalizingly bulging under smell-proof shrink wrap is of suspicious quality. While no melon thumper, I like to see all six sides of the genetically cubic produce that I take home to my decidedly urbane family.

Believe it or not, Food Lion has improved dramatically here in Raleigh. When I lived in Winston-Salem, the Food Lion nearest us so was filthy they eventually shut it down (I wouldn't even buy cat litter there...). However, in recent months, I've started going to the new, improved Lion by our apartment.

I'm starting to prefer it over the Teeter (at least over the Teeter in Olde Raleigh Village). After all, they carry Pudding Pops.

Since I buy my meat and dairy at Whole Foods (I have weird issues with meat...if I knew of a good kosher butcher nearby I'd go there instead...), so Food Lion wins only in the non-perishables dept. Can't help you out with any Lion/Teeter quality comparisons on meat.

I don't buy much fish. When I do, it's Earps or Whole Foods. I've had some problems w/Whole Foods fish freshness in the past, so I'm still wary of buying from them.

Gourmet Anarchy

Believe it or not, Food Lion has improved dramatically here in Raleigh. When I lived in Winston-Salem, the Food Lion nearest us so was filthy they eventually shut it down (I wouldn't even buy cat litter there...). However, in recent months, I've started going to the new, improved Lion by our apartment.

I'm starting to prefer it over the Teeter (at least over the Teeter in Olde Raleigh Village). After all, they carry Pudding Pops.

Since I buy my meat and dairy at Whole Foods (I have weird issues with meat...if I knew of a good kosher butcher nearby I'd go there instead...), so Food Lion wins only in the non-perishables dept. Can't help you out with any Lion/Teeter quality comparisons on meat.

I don't buy much fish. When I do, it's Earps or Whole Foods. I've had some problems w/Whole Foods fish freshness in the past, so I'm still wary of buying from them.

Gourmet Anarchy

I didn't see any Florida responses here. Publix is the hands-down winner in Florida. Not because it is outstanding in any category - but because it is the best overall compared to the others. Note that we have the following markets within 10 minutes of my house: 2 Publix markets, Winn-Dixie, Food Lion, Harris Teeter and Fresh Market. Costco and Sams are 20 minutes away.

Harris Teeter and Fresh Market might be more competitive with Publix had they opened larger stores here (both were timid in terms of their expansions into Florida).

I have in fact spoken with the manager of the Publix I usually shop at - and he thanks his lucky stars that Harris Teeter opened a small footprint store here - the kind of store where you can never find the kind of paper towels you want to buy. As it stands - about 60 cents of my grocery dollar goes to Publix - the remaining 40 cents is divided among Harris Teeter, Fresh Market and Costco. Robyn

Here in Columbia (SC) it is pretty much the same as maf said in Savannah... Kroger, Publix, Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, Bi-Lo, Winn-Dixie. In the early 90's, Bruno's came and went in a couple of years, then Harris Teeter moved into their stores in the mid-90's, but ended up pulling out and all the stores are now Piggly Wigglys. Harris Teeter is still in Charleston though. Publix definitely has the best stores here, hands down. Later this year, they are even opening one downtown in the old Confederate printing plant that has been abandoned for decades.

When I was home recently for a wedding, Publix is apparently moving into the Florida Panhandle in a big way. They not only have a new store at Sandestin Beach resort, but they have a big new store just north of the firestation in Seagrove beach, (although Arvida would probably perfer if we refered to it as Watercolor). So much for the little store at Blue Mountain Beach that I used to live behind.