• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grocery Stores?

tryska

In another thread we were discussing grocery store offerings in poorer neighborhoods, and Dave the Cook suggested opening a thread here regarding preferred grocery stores.

What are yours?

My personal best place to shop is Harry's (but not Whole Foods here in Atlanta), with Publix as a second best choice....how about you?

Here in Nashville, I think Publix and Harris Teeter pretty much run neck and neck, followed by Bi-Lo, with Kroger trailing behind. I rarely venture beyond those into the Food Lion, Piggly Wiggly, CeeBee realm... I'll go to Wild Oats for certain specialty items, but there is really not one convenient to me.

Those who do not remember the pasta are doomed to reheat it.

Do you mean the Harry's up near Roswell? I spent a miserable (for personal reasons, not geographic ones) six weeks living in the Atlanta area and the only thing good about it for me was going to Harry's. I've tried explaining to people what it's like but it defies definition.

Locally I have to shop at three or four different places, including local farm stands and farmers' markets, to make up for not having one terrific grocery store nearby.

i've never ever been in a piggly wiggly. or harris teeter for that matter, altho harris teeter's seems to be along the lines of Publix no? a little more upscale?

Edited by tryska (log)

Do you mean the Harry's up near Roswell? I spent a miserable (for personal reasons, not geographic ones) six weeks living in the Atlanta area and the only thing good about it for me was going to Harry's. I've tried explaining to people what it's like but it defies definition.

Locally I have to shop at three or four different places, including local farm stands and farmers' markets, to make up for not having one terrific grocery store nearby.

YES!

north of the big chicken. I love Harry's with a passion - for the freshness of it's produce, the guarantee of hormone and anitbiotic-free meat, and the international foods that are available as well.

okay and the really hot baker who works there. he kind of makes going a real treat. :biggrin:

I'm not entirely thrilled that Whole Foods bought them out, because some of my favorite Harry's only Items have disappeared - really loved their balsamic vinaigrette, and of course the Harrys in A Hurry's are now all gone, and sorely missed, but at least they still maintain their identity to a large extent in their anchor stores.

Edited by tryska (log)

Every time I stop in Harry's (I go to the Gwinnett store), it's lost a little bit more of its identity (I can't help hearing that Borg "you will be assimilated" chant running through my head). I find it very sad.

In particular, I don't get the WF 365 store brand, which seems to be a line of inferior products at premium prices (though cheaper than the brand names or imported items they sit next to on the shelf). The other night I was seduced by a 365 Merlot at $4.99 -- headache in a bottle.

People who only know Whole Foods by its standard stores don't seem to understand the scale of the Harry's stores. I've never really been able to explain Harry's either, except to people who have been to its progenitor, the DeKalb International Farmer's Market, which is run by Harry's brother (yes, there really is a Harry). Tryska, if you've never been there, it's well worth your time, even from Cobb County. It has everything you like about Harry's, but it's cheaper -- and much less corporate-feeling.

The biggest part of my grocery store dollar goes to Publix. I got fed up with Kroger: first the Plus Card, then the disappearance of unprocessed pork or chicken (I challenge you to find pig or poultry that hasn't been "enhanced"), then the apparent lack of real butchers. Everything is supplied out of a commissary -- I couldn't even get them to grind up a chuck roast for me. I emptied my cart and headed to Publix, where not only would they grind meat, they were happy to cut a two-inch Porterhouse on the spot. These days I watch the circulars and hit Kroger when they're having sales (connected to that invasive and insidious Plus Card) on commodities: milk, paper towels, soda and chips. Often their prices beat Sams and Costco.

Speaking of Costco, Northern eGulls are quite enamored with it; I am less so. Anybody else in the South been to one? Are they worth some discussion?

And what about ethnic or specialty shops?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I've been to the international farmer's market before, and I loved that too, but that was in my first years here in Atlanta. it is definitely a hike from cobb, but it's become sort of a Thanksgiving Prep ritual. I really should hit it soemtime this summer as it is produce's high season.

i really don't like the 365 brand either - and am beginning to think whole foods might be realted to the devil in some way. But 365 has brought in their own balsamic viagrette - it doesn't make me as happy as Harry's used, but at least the ingredients are "clean" in comparison to what i see on some of the other bottles. I guess i do understand what you mean about Harry's losing itself a bit at a time too - even in the marietta store, it seems like it's always in a state of overhaul - can't pin down exactly what's going on, but it doesn't bode well.

by ethnic stores what do you mean? which ethnicity?

We shop at the local Hairy Tweeter (er, the Harris Teeter). It's quite upscale for an everyday grocery store. The local Whole Foods is a couple of blocks away, and I spend way too much money there. We still call it the Wellspring, which was the name of the quasi-co-op that Whole Foods bought.

Of the 365 brands, I do buy their big cans of EVOO. It's pretty good for everyday EVOO, and it's about $14, which isn't too bad.

Dean McCord

VarmintBites

At my Harry's, there is a perennial aisle expansion project going on. This has to be coming at the expense of product selection, though I've only caught them on a few things so far. For instance, their dried pepper section is down to three: serrano, poblano and chipotle. And the bulk chocolate seems to be limited to Scharffen Berger and Ghirardelli. The bread section has been halved.

Then, the other night, I noticed they had lopped about twelve feet off of the fish counter to make room for prepared seafood entrees and cheap surimi. (For those that haven't been in Harry's, the fish counter was to die for: at least 60 feet long, with more fresh fish and more types of fish than I've seen anywhere in a single store -- every fin fish available whole, filleted or as steaks cut to order -- plus live trout, Dungeness and blue crabs, and crawfish. Always at least five types of salmon, not including the seasonal varieties from the Northwest. The only place outside of the Gulf coast where I've seen the highly perishable Ruby Red shrimp in good condition.)

Ethnic markets: well, I don't know exactly what I mean. Where do you go for Indian, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, Middle Eastern, etc.? There aren't really any chains, are there? Or do you find what you need at Harry's?

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

We shop at the local Hairy Tweeter (er, the Harris Teeter).  It's quite upscale for an everyday grocery store.  The local Whole Foods is a couple of blocks away, and I spend way too much money there.  We still call it the Wellspring, which was the name of the quasi-co-op that Whole Foods bought.

Of the 365 brands, I do buy their big cans of EVOO.  It's pretty good for everyday EVOO, and it's about $14, which isn't too bad.

Harris Teeter closed their stores in Atlanta a couple of years ago; it's an extremely competitive market. Too bad, I really liked the stores: very urban in atmosphere, great service, good selection (though the cramped shelf configuration meant there was rarely a chance to buy anything in bulk -- there simply wasn't room for them to stock many of any single item).

I'll try the 365 EVOO -- and the balsamic vinegar.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

i tend to find what i need at harrys, but i have traveled to decatur for indian - the last one i visited there was Taj Mahal Imports in an Indian shopping plaza, also there are a few Indian stores in marietta (up and down roswell rd), and there is now an Asian market up Roswell Rd, almost before Roswell - called Friendly Market? perhaps? it smells of dried fish, so it's got to be the real thing. They are my bet for more esoteric ingredients, but I've been pleasantly surprised tob e able to find the produce i need at Harry's or Dekalb.

Varmint - wellspring - they make bread no? I know the whole foods here carry's that line of baked goods. I use the 365 evoo too.

Edited by tryska (log)

In order, best to worst:

Publix here.

Publix there.

Publix everywhere.

Winn Dixie--I don't do cards.

(I still can't fathom how a brand-new store with a fully equipped bakery turns out bread with a four day expiration window that tastes worse that the shit in the aisles expects to stay in business. Don't get me started on their deli or meat depts.)

Albertson's--I don't do cards-- or shop at stores that vary service and quality levels dependent on the neighborhood.

Food Lion--I just don't.

PJ

Former long-term Pathmark drone in the NE.

"Epater les bourgeois."

--Lester Bangs via Bruce Sterling

(Dori Bangs)

I despise Publix. Perhaps it is the one near me in Gwinnett only but the prevailing attitude of that place is, "we are doing a favor for you by being open so you should just shop & accept whatever we do." I have had nothing but run-ins w/ management at that place since the day they opened to the point where I will not step foot in the place unless I absolutely have to do so.

I have had too many bad experiences w/ Harry's to even bother to go there any more. Their bait & switch tactics were the last straw (Three items in one shopping trip were rung at a different price than marked). That & the manager who was standing & joking w/ a couple of employees while the lines at the check out were 6 deep who told me, "I am not a cashier" when I complained about how long it took.

DeKalb Farmers' Market has Harry's beat hands down.

Sometimes you can get some deals at Save-Rate (formerly Winn-Dixie) but their produce is awful. They also vary in everything fr/ quality to quantity fr/ store to store. I love Costco & will buy as much there as I can. I also found that Target is not bad. Their prices are not phenomenal but you can find some deals if you look & the stuff is always fresh.

The insipid card at Kroger drives me nuts but I like to play their game (& their pricing is sometimes pretty good). I will buy a jar of baby food--although we do not have children--or something equally bizarre just to mess up their records. ":^)

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Speaking of Costco, Northern eGulls are quite enamored with it; I am less so. Anybody else in the South been to one? Are they worth some discussion?

I do frequent my local Costco here in Atlanta primarily for their enormous, skinless and boneless slabs of fresh salmon. I make large amounts of gravlax at home and this is absolutely perfect for my needs!

Sometimes, they have terrific produce (i.e. fresh asparagus, fresh cherries,etc.) which I buy but, since there are only the two of us in our household, the amounts are often quite staggering and, as fresh produce is bound to do, it goes bad too quickly.

Costco also stocks things which I do use in glass jars and cans ... hearts of palm and olives, just to name two of my favorites ... and those I enjoy using over a long period of time. And, on occasion, their selection of frozen food contains some unexpected delights not found in regular area grocery chains.

Whether or not it is worth one's time and the cost of a membership, is an individual choice but, in general, I usually go there on the average of once every two months. Their Christmas food selection is amazing indeed!

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

I was impressed with Ukrops in Richmond, VA. Haven't been there in a few years but last time I was there it was sort of like a better version of the nicer Harris Teeter stores. Spanking clean, well-lit, everything stocked attractively, pricey but not quite on a Whole Foods level. I've heard the owners are some of the most decent human beings you'll ever encounter. Rumor was, some high school-aged bagger felt like skipping work one day and called in and said his grandparent died. Imagine his shock a few hours later when an enormous flower bouquet showed up at the house! Dunno if this story is true but I hope it is.

Winn-Dixie is a terrible terrible store. Even the "nice" ones suck. I worked in a "nice" W-D in Boone, NC for a summer and it was the worst job I ever had. Even when I worked there I shopped at Harris Teeter. If you could get the produce directly off the truck then it was acceptable and if you could get the bread fresh out of the oven it was acceptable but that was about it. I wouldn't shop there or a Food Lion unless there was absolutely no other option.

One thing I've seen a lot of in NC is supermarkets as part of Target and Wal-Mart. Somebody mentioned shopping at Target above. My mom took me into her local Wal-Mart's food aisles on my last visit to Greensboro and I was impressed with their Hispanic foods selection, which was about as nice as at my local Giant supermarket (I live in an area with a large Hispanic population). What do you guys make out of their quality, selection and prices? They aren't much of a shopping option around DC, square footage being overpriced for this sort of retailing.

The insipid card at Kroger drives me nuts but I like to play their game (& their pricing is sometimes pretty good).  I will buy a jar of baby food--although we do not have children--or something equally bizarre just to mess up their records.  ":^)

the only thing i like about krogers is the 2 for 1s on cheerios.

i'll go to publix if i need hlfnhalf - they have the big half-gallon cartons, and cottage cheese if harry's or whole foods is out of it (they carry friendship california-style - the only kind i can stomach)

i use kroger for any processed foods i need, and things liek cans of tuna and paper towels and whatnot.

other than that it' harry's - but i ahven't run into the pricing problems you run into -

if anything, i can get the same groceries at harrys (fresh foods and meats) and at krogers and wind up spending 10-20 bucks more at krogers.

(of course it's more like 40 dollars more at whole foods - go figure.

I shop at a merry-go round of markets.

Costco has become a recent addiction. I shop there at least once a week. The produce selection is usually quite nice, as are the cuts of meat, and the prices simply can't be beat. I can also buy unsalted butter, cream, flour, etc, for a much better price that the local supermarkets. Even the breads are good. I love Costco.

I used to be a Harris Teeter shopper until I moved to the other side of town. Now it’s Farm Fresh that is close and convenient. They’re not too bad, very similar actually in many ways to H.T. The customer service in this store, at least, has been exemplary.

Williamsburg and Suffolk are both areas that are scattered with people selling produce out of the backs-of-trucks, or quickly improvised farmer’s markets. The quality is amazing, and I peruse them every opportunity I can.

Williamsburg also is home to the only area Ukrops. If it were closer, I’d do most of my grocery type shopping there. Fantastic.

I round out my shopping with visits to ‘Games’ Farm Market’. The store is ancient, and is a ramshackle collection of additions and strange walkways. They have some of the freshest meat in the area, at extremely competitive prices. The butchers are always happy to come out and help, or to cut whatever you need to order. The produce section is ‘rustic’, but much of it from local farmers. Shopping there is always a real slice of Americana (re the ancient, overweight cashier who has only one, giant snaggled tooth jutting out of her mouth. It’s the years of plaque build-up upon the thing that really gets to me.). There will always be a special place in my heart for Game’s.

Only in moments of true desperation, or if I'm in Duck, will I enter a Food Lion. I hate shopping there.

When I lived in Sandy Springs, it was Harry's in Roswell (sad to hear that WF bought it). Back in the mid-90's, Harry's couldn't be beat.

When I lived in Virginia Highlands, it was DeKalb Farmer's Mkt. Do they still have the cafe there? Bean and rice. yum. In both Va Hi and Sandy Springs, Publix was the backup.

When I lived in Chapel Hill, it was Weaver St. Market and Harris Teeter but, IMO, the Teeter's in NC aren't nearly as nice as the Teeter's in Atlanta (specifically the Teeter at Brookhaven). Wellspring (WF) was a decent backup.

In Ithaca, NY (sorry for going outside the SE thread), it was Wegmans. Even though I think that tryska disagrees with me, I prefer Wegmans to Publix and Harry's.

In Richmond, we have nothing except for one small but good organic greenmkt, Ellwood Thompson! I have to disagree with the Ukrop's posts. Since I cook, I want good produce. The produce at Ukrop's is consistently poor, even in season. It's nice and all that they load and unload your shopping carts but I'd rather bag my own groceries if I could get decent produce. Before I get flamed, this is just my opinion. By and large, native Richmonders love the place. Generally, I get better stuff at Costco these days.

As for Whole Foods (and Wellspring), I'm agnostic. The produce is usually good but I get some weird vibe about the place.

I don't know that i necessarily disagree with you - the wegman's i remember was from the 80s and 90s - still was my favorite grocery store back then, but the 80's-90s wegmans didn't compare to Harry's on Roswell now. Maybe to the Whole Foods of now tho.

No affront intended for Harry's. I was in Atl last weekend and lamented that I had flown. Had I driven, I would have done a week's shopping at Harry's and brought it back with me to Richmond.

I wonder what market specifics (i.e., strength of local economy, population density, demographics) that grocery chains look for before entering a new market? Maybe with all the Philip Morris bigwigs moving back to Richmond, we'll have enough $$ to entice Harry's/Whole Foods, Publix or Wegman's to move in.

Anyone with any knowledge on these matters?

I've heard lots of good things about Ukrops.

Mostly, I shop the Teeter (as in Harris Teeter) because it is convenient. We have a Lowe's Foods though that is also very nice and I think they have better produce specials (of course, I shop the Farmer's Market during the summer months).

Fresh Market used to have great meats, seafood and produce, but it's not so impressive anymore. I will drive the 30 minutes to Winston Salem to go to Whole Foods about once a month - their seafood counter is very nice and I love the salad bar (I always have lunch while I'm there). As for the 365 brand, I think their veggie burgers are good (and a lot less expensive than Boca).

When I'm at the beach, the only convenient grocery is Food Lion, and it's not too bad, much better than the one here in Greensboro, but I never buy meat or seafood there. yech. And if I have time, I'll just make the drive to Shallotte to go to the Lowe's Foods there. Food Lion does have a good selection of Mexican foods, but I'd just as soon go to the Hispanic Market.

I really enjoy our Asian market called "Dynasty". We just had an African market open too and I've got to get over and check that out.

Earthfare sux. I don't go there anymore.

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

:sad: Oh, how we miss our N.C. Harris Teeter's! Here in Pensacola, we have the Winn-Dixie (you learn to do cards when it's the only store for 15 miles...), a couple miserable Albertsons and Food Worlds, the Super Wally World, and one dump inexplicably named the 'Food Tiger'. But, having been traumatized by the 'Food LION', we no longer do any markets with circus animal names.

We miss our Perdue chickens (as they packaged Harry Tweeter's store brand, too), and are stuck with what we disgustedly refer to as 'skunky chicken' ~ alias some half frozen form of Tyson Corp., or Sanderson Farms. :wacko: blech. It can be a week from it's buy date, and STILL smell like it swam in a bleach vat...or worse...

There is a little natural/organic co-op in town called Ever'man, thank goodness, where we can get a free range turkey at Thanksgiving, but that's the length and breadth of their meat/poultry offerings. Ya just do whacha can...

Beege {:^)

Earthfare sux.  I don't go there anymore.

What sux about them? I checked them out right after they opened and I wasn't too impressed but I couldn't quite put my finger on what disagreed with me about the place. Something about it had me vaguely skeezed out,

The staff is unfriendly, :angry: the prices are outrageous, :shock: the produce is inferior, and the selection is limited :hmmm: . I do like the fact that they don't carry any products that use hydrogenated oils and you can get some nice organic, hormone-free meats there. Still, it is no Whole Foods.

Then there is the Elivira-wanna be that runs the cosmetics counter which is a little bit creepy. :blink:

"Never eat more than you can lift" -- Miss Piggy

We go to New Bern, NC quite often and I like Harris Teeter a lot. The WalMart there also has some good buys and nice produce. Food Lion suxs!

Life is too important to be taken seriously.[br]Oscar Wilde