• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grilling on a Viking

cfbuchanan

I'm interested in people's experience using the 12" Gas Char-Grill on Viking Stoves. Does it work well? Is it worth the effort to clean up? Do you spend the extra bucks for the extra 12" and then never use it after the first time?

We are redesigning our kitchen ... and are at the decision point between 36" & 48" stove. We're planning to get the Griddle ... but the the Grill will probably tip the balance one way or the other.

those indoor grills almost inevitably end up gathering dust because they get used a couple times and then the clean-up gets to be too much of a pain. i occasionally demonstrate a (high end, unmentioned) brand of appliance, and can't tell you how many people regret getting the grill. (of course, we live in so. CA, where one can grill outdoors year-round.) i always encourage folks to go for maximum burner-age...you can always get a good quaility grill- and/or griddle-pan to span two burners when you need it, and the rest of the time, it's "burners for days"!

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

you can always get a good quaility grill- and/or griddle-pan to span two burners when you need it, and the rest of the time, it's "burners for days"!

I totally agree. That's the way I went with my new kitchen. Unfortunately, right now it's still an empty room with wires sticking out of the drywall. We're approaching the 3 week point.

Chief Scientist / Amateur Cook

MadVal, Seattle, WA

Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code

you can always get a good quaility grill- and/or griddle-pan to span two burners when you need it, and the rest of the time, it's "burners for days"!

I totally agree. That's the way I went with my new kitchen. Unfortunately, right now it's still an empty room with wires sticking out of the drywall. We're approaching the 3 week point.

Did you see that commercial where the kitchen contractor explains to the family: "First, we're going to come in, track mud and dirt all over your house, rip everything out of the kitchen, tear out all your windows and replace them with plastic sheets. Then we're going to disappear for three weeks. Don't even bother trying to call, because you wont be able to reach us. Next we'll show up ready to go, but with all the wrong appliances and without any tools. That will take weeks to fix, probably months. . . ."

I am getting the 48" GE Monogram and had the option of having 4 burners, grill and griddle. I just can't see grilling indoors. It just somehow seems "wrong". I also can't imagine the mess with an indoor grill. So I am going with 6 burners and the griddle. I am really looking forward to that griddle. I haven't had one for several years. They can't be beat for pancakes, corn cakes, quesadillas, grilled cheese (griddled cheese?), warming a bunch of tortillas, those crispy and lacey thingies where you sprinkle grated parmesan, and on and on. You can just do a whole bunch more of those things than I can in my beloved cast iron skillet.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

"...Then we're going to disappear for three weeks..."

Sadly, this happened to my brother during a recent remodel and it was more like 2 months instead of three weeks. In their contract, the contractor had agreed to complete the remodel job by a specific date. My brother had a list of minor things that still had to be done on the remodel and when the completion date came and went without a peep from the contractor, my brother called the contractor only to be told that he had "forgotten" all about my brother's remodel job! :shock:

My brother got the last laugh, though. He stilled owed a nice balance to the contractor due upon completion. But because the contractor didn't meet the completion date as per the contract, my brother didn't have to pay him another cent. He ended up negotiating with the contractor to finish what needed to be done and ended up having to pay only half of the remaining balance.

Needless to say, the contractor wasn't a happy camper with my brother.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I have considered getting an indoor grill and it is clear that unless you are doing 20 steakes and burgers a day the clean up would be a pain.

The best would be a natural gas grill outside because up here in Ottawa Ontario Canada, where one can grill outdoors year-round, propane does not react that well to freezing temperatures.

You do not have to worry about a perfectly clean outdoor grill.

By the way in winter grilling and the temperatures are below -10, oven mits are to keep your hands warm.(mmmmm Indoor grilling....)

Friends have the Viking 48" range and they use the grill quite a bit. I've enjoyed the results on occasion and I definitely like it. :smile:

I'll have to say, though, that apparently they don't clean it very often and it usually looks pretty crappy. If your goal is to have a really beautiful kitchen you're probably better off without it unless you're willing to do a lot of cleaning.