• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Stones

Al_Dente

I have a pizza stone that I typically just leave in the oven whenever I cook, both because I'm too lazy to remove it if I'm not using it, and because of some vague notion that it helps to distribute heat more evenly.

The problem is, that over time it has collected some grease and smokes up my apt whenever I use the oven. I've scrubbed it without soap to try to remove as much as possible, but it's kinda baked in.

Is there a way to clean it? Can I submerge it in bleach or something? Or do I just need to toss it?

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Leave the pizza stone in the oven during the self-cleaning cycle and that should do the trick. 

That worked great for me, the stone went from being grease stained and just nasty to looking almost brand new after one cycle.

I'll give it a whirl-- though my old gas oven doesn't have a self cleaning setting. I guess I'll just crank it up to 500, open the windows, turn on the fan, and let her rip.

-- A.B.

I guess I'll just crank it up to 500, open the windows, turn on the fan, and let her rip.

The ideal way to get a great pizza crust is to preheat the oven and the stone for one hour at 500. (Yeah, I know, that's less than appealing on a hot summer day.) So...my advice is make more pizza!

Leave the pizza stone in the oven during the self-cleaning cycle and that should do the trick. 

That worked great for me, the stone went from being grease stained and just nasty to looking almost brand new after one cycle.

I'll give it a whirl-- though my old gas oven doesn't have a self cleaning setting. I guess I'll just crank it up to 500, open the windows, turn on the fan, and let her rip.

This reminds me of the Jeffrey Steingarten piece where he's trying to bake the perfect pizza:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/foodmonthly...,807445,00.html

Scroll down past the interview for the extract.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

If there's still stuff stuck to it you can sand it. Preferably with a power sander but course sand paper will work too.

Sounds like grease is the main problem though -- I take mine out when I'm not using it and I always dust it with cornmeal before sliding a pizza on. Never got it real greasy. Don't see why you can't use detergent to cut the grease.

Isn't the problem with using detergent that the stone is porous and will suck it up and exude it?

That's what I was concerned about.

Oooh, I just had an idea. What if I put the stone on a gas grill outside and burned it all off that way? My apt is about the size of most people's walk in closets, so a little smoke can really accumulate into quite a cloud.

-- A.B.

Interesting tip. I've considered it, but I thought the stone might crack in the heat of the self cleaning cycle.

This works great for me and no cracking.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I kept a sheet of foil on my old one when not in use. Then since I got a new one, I keep the foil on all the time. Started as an accident (forgot to take off the foil before preheating once), saw no noticable difference and now I only take it off to change it when it gets too much goop on it. For the record, I'm NOT crazy clean, just lazy.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts