• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mai Tai Recipes

Scott S

The Martinique rum used in the Merchant's Reserve is molasses-based--it's a rare rhum industriel from Martinique.

You are right of course. And I should know since I attended Martin Cate's seminar at Tiki Oasis last year that dealt with this exact topic. Long day! :)

Now that we only have 2ish more weeks of official summer, I think I will make a Mai Tai tonight...Maybe two...I might even try Jo's white recipe!

• Like 1

The Martinique rum used in the Merchant's Reserve is molasses-based--it's a rare rhum industriel from Martinique. Martin Cate's research led him to believe that the style of Martinician rum Vic used for his Mai Tai blend was derived from molasses, not cane juice. (In this he departs from Berry). Regardless, an agricole is delicious in a Mai Tai--with good rums and good orgeat, it's hard to go wrong. 

I have heard that argument before as well but it doesn't really matter because whether or not it is historically accurate the rhum agricole is better!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Can you tell me a bit more about Rhum Clement - is from a certain geography?  A white rum?  The LCBO is very limited (sadly) with its selection, even if it is the biggest liquor buying power in the world....

The orgeat I got is this one:  http://cocktailemporium.ca/collections/orgeat-syrups/products/le-lab-sirop-d-orgeade 

I too opted for more orgeat and no simple. 

Edited by tanstaafl2 (log)

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

FP pretty well covered rhum agricole but I do seem to recall the lamentations of our friends to the north of the rather profound failure of the LCBO to provide an adequate supply of Rhum Agricole. In that case maybe Smith & Cross is your best bet as one of the rums.

But I know what I would be looking to bring back the next time I left the country!

Can't speak to the orgeat you used without trying it. sounds like it has decent potential. But Jo's recommendation of the Small Hands version is spot on.

~tanstaafl2

You are right of course. And I should know since I attended Martin Cate's seminar at Tiki Oasis last year that dealt with this exact topic. Long day! :)

No worries, it's not in the, uh, spirit of rum to get caught up on the small details when one could instead be drinking more Mai Tais. 

DrunkLab.tumblr.com

”In Demerara some of the rum producers have a unique custom of placing chunks of raw meat in the casks to assist in aging, to absorb certain impurities, and to add a certain distinctive character.” -Peter Valaer, "Foreign and Domestic Rum," 1937

FP pretty well covered rhum agricole but I do seem to recall the lamentations of our friends to the north of the rather profound failure of the LCBO to provide an adequate supply of Rhum Agricole. In that case maybe Smith & Cross is your best bet as one of the rums.

But I know what I would be looking to bring back the next time I left the country!

Can't speak to the orgeat you used without trying it. sounds like it has decent potential. But Jo's recommendation of the Small Hands version is spot on.

Adequate supply would typically suggest there is at least an option, NO supply (least that I can find) is more like it!  Sad but true.  Our monopolized liquor system is a joke.  Indeed I will have to keep an eye out next time I head elsewhere (though with a 2.5 and 6 week old bambinos, that ain't happening anytime soon!)

Will check out Small Hands next round, though the store I ordered this one from is all out (as it was my original target, after reading some good reviews here on it).

• 4 months later...

While waiting for my semiannual (or somewhat more frequent) smallhandfoods orgeat shipment to make its way across the Rockies, last night I made my standard mai tai of equal parts Neisson Reserve Speciale, S&C, and Lost Spirits Navy Style.  The Navy Style has been in short supply and for the past couple months I've been working with equal parts Neisson Reserve Speciale and Appleton 12, which makes a lovingly smooth and polite mai tai.

But for me it does not compare.  Not that I would turn up my nose were I on a desert island, nor even on a Caribbean one.

At the moment:  a white mai tai, having trudged through the snow this evening for a bottle of W&N.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 1 month later...

An amusing variation on my usual white mai tai:

I had prepared the mise for my beverage (two ounces lime juice), and for dinner (two ounces lemon juice and a bowl of sliced onions).  These were on the counter.

After adding the lime juice the level in my Baron was higher than expected.  I searched around.  The measuring cup which had held the lemon juice was rinsed and in the drainer.  Hmm.

Actually this mai tai is rather nice, but then I like citrus.  And, yes, if you were wondering...I found the onions, still in their bowl.

Fortunately I have a bag of lemons left.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Having fortuitously acquired, this afternoon, a bottle of Clement Creole Shrub, I was anxious to substitute Creole Shrub for Cointreau in my favorite white mai tai.

Well, it is sort of an off white mai tai.  For one thing.  And there is an astringency and flavor I can't put my finger on...it will come to me.  This may take a bit of getting used to.

• 4 months later...

An interesting apple-accented, fall-inspired Mai Tai.

Orchard Mai Tai (Chris Lowder of NoMad) with Daron XO calvados, Pierre Ferrand 1840 cognac, lemon juice, homemade orgeat, St Elizabeth allspice dram, Canton ginger liqueur (substituted for fresh ginger juice), simple syrup

Orchard Mai Tai (Chris Lowder) with Daron XO calvados, Pierre Ferrand 1840 cognac, lemon juice, homemade orgeat, St Elizabeth allspice dram, Canton ginger liqueur, simple syrup #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #maitai #tiki #calvados #cognac

Edited by FrogPrincesse
added link to recipe (log)
  • Like 4

Did you dial back on the simple to account for the Canton instead of fresh ginger?

~tanstaafl2

13 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Did you dial back on the simple to account for the Canton instead of fresh ginger?

I always dial back on the simple... with pretty much any recipe. Then I taste and add a bit more as needed. This one only had 1/2 tsp which I ended up using. However I used only 1/2 oz orgeat intead of 3/4 oz.

The My Oh My Ty again. That one is now a regular in the rotation!

My Oh My Ty (Brian Miller) with Plantation Barbados 5 years, Ko Hana Kea Lahi white rhum agricole, lime juice, Clement Creole shrubb, homemade orgeat, St. George absinthe verte.

My Oh My Ty (Brian Miller) with Plantation Barbados 5 years, Ko Hana Kea Lahi white rhum agricole, lime juice, Clement Creole shrubb, homemade orgeat, St. George absinthe verte #cocktail #cocktails #craftcocktails #tiki #tikidrinks #absinthe #rhumagricole

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, TicTac said:

What do you guys think about substituting the lime juice with fresh grapefruit?

Or is that simply an abomination?

I think you could try substituting part of it like in a Hemingway Daiquiri.

Edited by FrogPrincesse
Typo (log)

Thank you FP.

I seem to recall our 'resident' Mai Tai guru Jo mentioning the utilization of white grapefruit, though I cannot recall if it was in a Mai Tai or not...

Simply have run out of limes (still have lemons and grapefruit) and just got a new bottle of Smith and Cross and my Small Hands Orgeat finally arrived.

4 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Thank you FP.

I seem to recall our 'resident' Mai Tai guru Jo mentioning the utilization of white grapefruit, though I cannot recall if it was in a Mai Tai or not...

Simply have run out of limes (still have lemons and grapefruit) and just got a new bottle of Smith and Cross and my Small Hands Orgeat finally arrived.

Never tried that but the only one way to find out if it works for you and that is to try it! Would certainly think it would be somewhat different though. I presume you would be using the more tart white grapefruit noted above to replace the lime?

~tanstaafl2

1 hour ago, TicTac said:

Thank you FP.

The white grapefruit was for zombie.  Enjoy the Small Hand orgeat.