• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A sure way to cheer-up

Andre

Another one of those endless days starting on the left foot and seem to be heading to the darkness of a black whole.

The day finally ends and crash it is – ouch !

Time to cheer-up.

A quick glance at the cellar and a bottle of wine is pulled with no room for hesitation.

Nero D’Avola – Cabernet Sauvignon Cygnus 2000 by Tasca D’Almerita.

The dark red cherry color is rather clear but some depth is apparent.

The nose is a quite closed at the beginning but opens up after 10 minutes in the glass to reveal layers of jammy cherries, raspberries, casis, fresh herbs, black pepper, nutmeg and subtle oak.

Since this wine was serving as an aperitif I tried it with an aged Bouchon cheese. My laziness lead to a total crash between the sharp acidic cheese and this full bodied wine.

Go to the kitchen toung man…

Thin slices of entricote are fried in olive oil over a low fire, some garlic is added. I flipped the meat to sprinkle some zaatar and oregano water and topped it with a thin layer of Gauda cheese.

6 minutes and the food is ready to join the wine.

A perfect match elevates me from the dungeon of my agonies to Kurt Vonnegut’s “ everything is beautiful and nothing hurt”

As all good things, both wine and food did come to an end.

A Dark chocolate parfait with coconut chives and Lavender project loneliness from the rather big table.

A bottle of Pinot Noir Chardonnay 2000 from Australia’s Yellow Glen comes to the rescue.

This excellent balance of tropical fruits, apples and citric acidity join my parfait and the French word says it all.

The cool evening breeze blowing on Mount Carmel carries me out of the reach of politicians...

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.